Quality control, dealer delivery.. and my steering wheel fell off!

So I  took possession of a 2020 SSI21 OB..  Boat was delivered by a licensed dealer who ordered my boat to spec. 

Delievery was a test trial in the water and no full delivery spec  check off sheet was used.. Not a big deal as I have been a boat owner ( Checkmate) for 30 years and knew my way around it.

What is of major concern is the quality control of Chaparral... the  QA sign off was by a T. Nelson... Well Mr./s. Nelson the rubber windscreen gasket was not fully seated in the windscreen frame right next to the helm station...so I have to look at it every time I get in the drivers seat....BUT MOST AGGREGIOUS was the fact that the steering wheel came off in my hands- thank god i wasnt on the water-.. some technician failed to thread the main steering shaft nut on... I had concerns that the steering felt sloppy... spoke with "Ian" mgr customer care since they wont let you speak to one of their tech reps as I needed to know the amount of steering play that is recommended by Seastar and I wanted to verify that the dealer did in fact bring up the rubber gasket issue with Chapparal. I was given a commitment for a call back with the info I requested from Ian and I am still waiting... So when I start to evaluate the boats steering I notice that the wheel was loose and had a lot of lateral play... as I rocked the wheel back and forth and side to side  to assess the syncing with the actual motor movement the steeering wheel lifted off the steering shaft into my hands...Nope...nobody ever tigheted the steering nut on... I suspect someone started the first thread or two..but never fully tightened to the poper torque spec.

Chaparral... do you realize the jeopardy you could have put my family in had this failed and lifted off while I was underway????  I think the QA signoff person needs some coaching.

I bought Chaparral because a friend had one and I was impressed with the quality... Now I have my questions as to how commited you are to customer service and a quality product.

Jeff Marcon

Welcome to the forum Jeff.  Sorry to hear of your initial Chappy experience.  I would try to anchor it back at the dealership and ask for your money back if that was my initial experience.  My '16 Chappy has been pretty good overall.  Some small fit and finish issues that I just accepted.  Never had the steering wheel come off in my hands.  Now an annoying motor issue that I am trying to trouble shoot.  

unfortunately I had to many problems with both my Chaparrals.  They both are now sold as well.  You have to stay on Chaparral to get your answer otherwise it will be crickets.  Lucky I had a really good dealer that helped a ton with communication between Chaparral and myself.

Most of your service will be done by the dealer.

Chap and many boat companies are set this way.

Years ago I had huge problem with my boat.

All I got from Chaparral was delays and excuses.

I had to take out a website chaparralboats suck.com and threaten to go live if they did not get their act together.

My dealer, Dealers choice in Orlando was great and the problem was rectified.

I think the guy at Chaparral was Dan Obrien (?) he was of absolutely no help.

4 hours ago, ramoszx12r@comcast.net said:

The dealer charges a fee for prep and set-up they should have cache it ,they need to fix it.Is up to them to get paid by Chaparral. 

If all that is really wrong is the steering wheel nut....tighten it and get on with life.

15 hours ago, Dgiles said:

If all that is really wrong is the steering wheel nut....tighten it and get on with life.

I did exactly what you said and I am getting on with my life.. Thank you very much...Having said that,  how would you feel if you purchased a $50K automobile and as you drove it off the showroom floor the steering wheel came off in your hands...I am sure you would be pissed off and you would make a big stink about it... well it is what I am doing ...holding people accountable and liable. Your post really doesnt grasp the reality of their oversight and their need to address and have in place QA measures which would not allow this to happen. 

1 hour ago, jwmarc said:

I did exactly what you said and I am getting on with my life.. Thank you very much...Having said that,  how would you feel if you purchased a $50K automobile and as you drove it off the showroom floor the steering wheel came off in your hands...I am sure you would be pissed off and you would make a big stink about it... well it is what I am doing ...holding people accountable and liable. Your post really doesnt grasp the reality of their oversight and their need to address and have in place QA measures which would not allow this to happen. 

That is right, otherwise there will not be any accountability and the will get worse not better. When you buy new you spec every thing you paid for is right. If you miss a payment they will not let that go.    

I would have been upset too.

Three reasons I will never buy a new boat:

- price

- lack of dealer support (I emailed chaparral corp a few weeks back with a question and got an automated response that john doe is my local chap dealer and he will be in contact with you. crickets. no email, no call, no nothing).

- quality (there are hundreds of posts on this forum from people that have relatively new boats with different issues, major issues. I recall one where the engine(s) were sounding alarms within the first week). 

These issues, IMO, are not specific to Chaps, it's across the industry.

3 hours ago, jwmarc said:

I get that, but have you never purchased anything new before? Rarely is it perfect. Yes that should have been caught, but to go on an slam Chaparral or the dealer over one item seems excessive. Not saying they don't have issues, but to me lacking of quality control would involve a few more items than one nut. 

Anyway, congrats on the new boat and I hope you enjoy it.

17 minutes ago, Dgiles said:

I get that, but have you never purchased anything new before? Rarely is it perfect. Yes that should have been caught, but to go on an slam Chaparral or the dealer over one item seems excessive. Not saying they don't have issues, but to me lacking of quality control would involve a few more items than one nut. 

Anyway, congrats on the new boat and I hope you enjoy it.

That nut was a safety issue. 

2 hours ago, Fishstick said:

- price

- lack of dealer support (I emailed chaparral corp a few weeks back with a question and got an automated response that john doe is my local chap dealer and he will be in contact with you. crickets. no email, no call, no nothing).

- quality (there are hundreds of posts on this forum from people that have relatively new boats with different issues, major issues. I recall one where the engine(s) were sounding alarms within the first week). 

You're right.  It's not just Chaparral.  It's a issue across the whole industry.  I've heard of dealers dropping brands because they got tired of dealing with all the quality issues of the brand.  

Here's what I don't get.  Compared to the auto industry the boating industry sells a tiny amount of boats.  So why is it so hard to do some basic quality control.  Most of the issues people face with new boats could be found in a one hour inspection process by an trained professional.  You know. Like item #3 on the checklist being:

Verify the functionality of the steering system. 

Are all components tight?  No steering wheel is loose.  Will complete rest of steering inspection after steering wheel issue is resolved.

Does it steer left and right with no binding?

Any popping or creaking noises? 

4 hours ago, ramoszx12r@comcast.net said:

That is right, otherwise there will not be any accountability and the will get worse not better. When you buy new you spec every thing you paid for is right. If you miss a payment they will not let that go.    

5 hours ago, jwmarc said:

I take it you guys are new to the forum...be glad those are the only issues with your new Chaparral....seem pretty mild considering the horror stories I have heard on here.

NASA spent $209 billion on the space shuttle program with 135 flights.  That is over 1.5 billion per mission and many of them had issues.  Two had failures that resulted in the loss of the entire crew killing 14 people.  No matter how much is money is spent or how much quality control is done there can be always be mechanical failures.  Work with your dealer to get them fixed.

NASA's culture killed those 14 people.  Ignoring known issues to make launches happen to look good politically and advance careers.  Engineers warned multiple people multiple times about foam strikes, O-Rings,  and all sorts of other issues.  The powers that be didn't care.  The book Ridding Rockets gives very good insight on the culture at NASA.

My dad is a retired engineer for an industrial equipment manufacturer.  Multiple times he was asked to look into a quality issue a dealer had reported.  It would be impossible for this equipment to leave the factory with these defects not detected if the quality control test that were to be performed had actually been performed.   The bottom line was that the guy doing quality checks didn't do them and said he did.   My dad's solution was to fire the quality guys for not doing their jobs.   Management didn't want to hear this.  They wanted to engineer another solution instead if dealing with the people problem.  

Bottom line:  If you can't get people to do their job to correct way, all the procedures in the world are not going to fix the issues.      

18 hours ago, drewm3i said:

I take it you guys are new to the forum...be glad those are the only issues with your new Chaparral....seem pretty mild considering the horror stories I have heard on here.

It have nothing to do with bin new to the forum, I have bin around bouts from the 90s to present I have buy, new and use, project boats. When you spend 50k to 100k on a new boat at list they need to correct the mistake so they can learn from it and make better boats for every one. I am sure when you by a part for your boat an is  defected you will send it back right. 

8 hours ago, Cleaver said:

NASA spent $209 billion on the space shuttle program with 135 flights.  That is over 1.5 billion per mission and many of them had issues.  Two had failures that resulted in the loss of the entire crew killing 14 people.  No matter how much is money is spent or how much quality control is done there can be always be mechanical failures.  Work with your dealer to get them fixed.

Work with your dealer to get them fixed

Yes that is right, not get it on with you life like some one said.
21 hours ago, Fishstick said:

- price

My son says that he always wants to be second.

What is broken is fixed, and the price is right.  Denny.

41 minutes ago, Denny said:

My son says that he always wants to be second.

What is broken is fixed, and the price is right.  Denny.

I agree that correct for the most part but buying boats is a freakin crapshoot new or used...there’s plenty of one owner boats out there that are for sale because they were tired of dealing with the issues it had from the beginning and now you have no or limited warranty on top of it.  

Somebody mentioned that boats should have better QA than cars because of how many fewer are produced.  But that is WHY the QA is worse, less resources and much less automation. Too much human involvement for the same kind of QA you get from auto manufacturers.

I get some of these errors are egregious (a steering wheel coming off!!!). But if the dealer fixes the issue timely without question I personally wouldn’t be terribly concerned.  I’ll come here and raise #$^% when my dealer won’t help me.  

Also, (this isn’t directed at OP just in general) stop contacting Chap directly...that’s not how this works.  Find a good dealer, all that matters.