Must have boat accessories/gadgets

I thought it would be cool to start a thread if your favorite accessories or gadgets that maybe not everyone knows about.  It seems like anytime I’m on a friends boat I find something cool I’ve never seen before or thought about. 

I’ll start with the Danik Hook.  It has been around for a few years but I have found many uses for it.  I have both the plastic and the stainless versions.   The most handy use I have found for them is fender lines, especially for quick trips to restaurants etc. I have little kids and my wife is usually tending to them so it’s up to me to place the fenders, get the dock lines ready and maneuver the boat anytime we pull into a slip anywhere and these things save time and make sure the fenders are at the right length every time.

Plastic:

https://www.amazon.com/Danik-Hook-Composite-Fender-Black/dp/B07B5J7N2H/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=danik+hook&qid=1592857994&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&smid=A3A1EL7SQWMCBR&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFNQVY3STc1QkUzUlEmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxODgxNTlQR1ZWSTVMWldDSDAmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDYyNDcxNzNSUVRXTE1UQ1JaN00md2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Stainless:

https://www.amazon.com/Danik-Hook-Stainless-Knotless-System-Personal/dp/B00JGZGTDC

it has been mentioned that i might have docking anxiety, and that i might possible slightly raise my voice when we get close to other boats while docking. so nice to have a tool to keep us from touching another boat or the pull us close to the dock in the off chance that i didnt quite get close enough. 

Funny, no body mentions the safety equipment. Just adding more bling

How about a LOUD high water alarm

What about a second radio or a handheld

Fume detectors

Life jackets, dont think anyone drowned wearing one

Alert and locate equipment

1 minute ago, Bt Doctur said:

Funny, no body mentions the safety equipment. Just adding more bling

Including you evidently...

I said stuff you think most people may not know about.  I don’t keep much more on board other than required plus a first aid kit, would love to know of there’s something out there I’m unaware of.

20 hours ago, Cmitch said:

I recently bought the Mission boat fenders because the h20’s cleats are too low. They are worth every penny, the protect above and below the rub rail!!

When I had an H2O a couple years ago I just about bought these but they were out of stock and then I never did.  I’ve heard they work great especially on smaller/lower profile boats like wake boats 

My favorite gadget on my boat is a smartphone or tablet with a suction cup mount with current navionics charts. Even though I had a $2,100 Garmin 942 XS and radar on my sailboat, we used the Navionics far more...just so easy to take with you and plot a course before leaving the dock.

34 minutes ago, drewm3i said:

My favorite gadget on my boat is a smartphone or tablet with a suction cup mount with current navionics charts. Even though I had a $2,100 Garmin 942 XS and radar on my sailboat, we used the Navionics far more...just so easy to take with you and plot a course before leaving the dock.

tell me more about Navionics. sounds interesting. expensive? does it have lakes or just for ocean? thanks. 

1 hour ago, Raft-up said:

tell me more about Navionics. sounds interesting. expensive? does it have lakes or just for ocean? thanks. 

I'll weigh in on this as well.  I have 3 boats, all with different MFD/chartplotters, and I use Navionics exclusively on all of them, I don't even pay attention to the MFD anymore.  Navionics covers pretty much everywhere, for instance if you subscribe to USA and Canada you can pretty much go anywhere on the continent, lakes or coasts, and have coverage.  The most expensive part is the cell phone or tablet you choose to run it on, but most of us own those already.  The cell phone is a little too small to be convenient but it's a great backup in an emergency.  I run it on an iPad Pro.  The subscription is I believe around $22 bucks or so per year.  Super crisp display, constantly updated charts, auto-routing, all kinds of good stuff.  I wouldn't leave home without it.

7 hours ago, Raft-up said:

a telescoping boat hook has saved many an argument on my boat. a must have for docking. 

The thing that has saved arguments on the boat for us has been bluetooth earbuds for our phones (Airpods).  When anchoring out, I take care of all of the anchors while my wife drives the boat.  We put our earbuds in and I call her.  We can speak very calmly and it's clear, no more yelling and getting excited when she can't hear me or vice-versa.  When docking, I usually drive and if it's windy or a crazy docking situation I can calmly tell her things like "get a turn on a stern cleat ASAP", or "how many feet am I from the dock?" etc, etc.  No need to go buy all these fancy headsets, most of us have the phone and earbuds in our pockets already.  It's very rare that we boat in places with no cell coverage so it works well for us.

7 hours ago, Raft-up said:

a telescoping boat hook has saved many an argument on my boat. a must have for docking. 

In my previous slip location, as soon as I entered the marina, the first thing I did was get the hook and extend it. Entering my slip was tough and the hook was essential to "saving the day" either from keeping me from bumping into the post or grabbing the dock with it and pulling the boat towards it.  In my current slip, I don't even look at it anymore. With a mid-sized sailboat next to me it has made it much easier to get in than it was when the pontoon boat was there. 

But the hook is always near by just in case.

I have an older Clarion sound system that does not have bluetooth capability.  I found BT receiver that I can plug into the older style stereo input jack.  Now its easy to use Pandora and Spotify from the cell.

4 hours ago, chasingmemories said:

Our boat came with a heated shower.  I thought it was dumb until the first time we used it after watersports in the spring.  You can warm up so much faster once you have all the cold water sluiced off you with HOT water.  Works great!  

I had hot water on our sailboat...it was awesome.

16 hours ago, Johnfrmcal said:

I'll weigh in on this as well.  I have 3 boats, all with different MFD/chartplotters, and I use Navionics exclusively on all of them, I don't even pay attention to the MFD anymore.  Navionics covers pretty much everywhere, for instance if you subscribe to USA and Canada you can pretty much go anywhere on the continent, lakes or coasts, and have coverage.  The most expensive part is the cell phone or tablet you choose to run it on, but most of us own those already.  The cell phone is a little too small to be convenient but it's a great backup in an emergency.  I run it on an iPad Pro.  The subscription is I believe around $22 bucks or so per year.  Super crisp display, constantly updated charts, auto-routing, all kinds of good stuff.  I wouldn't leave home without it.

thanks for the info, sounds really useful. shame it is too small for our phones. but for $22 still might be worth it. thanks again. 

Yes, that does come in handy. I bought a portable VHF just for that reason. I use the fixed VHF to call them. The VHF has more power and the portable is a backup to the fixed unit.

Another DEDICATED boat gadget, is a tool kit that STAYS on the boat, with the specialty tools for the boat.  (I know it doesn't sound particularly sexy, but super useful)  

I have a dedicated toolbox, that has (along with the normal tools)  a fuel pressure tester that screws onto my fuel rail, the two special propeller sockets required for service on my outdrive, and the marine grease needed to put them back on, and a digital torque adapter to torque them down.  It is SO nice to not have to think about that stuff.  I also have a "powerprobe" that either goes directly to the battery or a power outlet that allows me to check for either power or ground, and allows me to inject power if I need to.  Very helpful to know if power is there or not.  The other "Specialty" tool that I have used so much I would replace immediately if lost is a flexible nut driver for the hose clamps.  It works so much better than either a socket or a screw driver it really is worth every penny, and it was quite inexpensive.  Great for winterization to remove hose clamps.  

53 minutes ago, chasingmemories said:

Another DEDICATED boat gadget, is a tool kit that STAYS on the boat, with the specialty tools for the boat.  (I know it doesn't sound particularly sexy, but super useful)  

I have a dedicated toolbox, that has (along with the normal tools)  a fuel pressure tester that screws onto my fuel rail, the two special propeller sockets required for service on my outdrive, and the marine grease needed to put them back on, and a digital torque adapter to torque them down.  It is SO nice to not have to think about that stuff.  I also have a "powerprobe" that either goes directly to the battery or a power outlet that allows me to check for either power or ground, and allows me to inject power if I need to.  Very helpful to know if power is there or not.  The other "Specialty" tool that I have used so much I would replace immediately if lost is a flexible nut driver for the hose clamps.  It works so much better than either a socket or a screw driver it really is worth every penny, and it was quite inexpensive.  Great for winterization to remove hose clamps.  

Nothing wrong with that!! We need tools and parts when under way.