Anyway to seal pop-up cleats from water pouring in? 236SSX

I have a 08, 236 SSX and the swim platform pop-up cleats get submerged in water every time one comes off plane, etc and water runs into the bilge. I assume this is the same for all of them and maybe not preventable, but what a crappy design. Any solutions? I prefer a dry bilge and this is really the only reason 5 gal of water is in the bilge at the end of every boating day.image.png.f366d294ab188be9b4c549d061f34e95.png

5 minutes ago, Dgiles said:

I have a 08, 236 SSX and the swim platform pop-up cleats get submerged in water every time one comes off plane, etc and water runs into the bilge. I assume this is the same for all of them and maybe not preventable, but what a crappy design. Any solutions? I prefer a dry bilge and this is really the only reason 5 gal of water is in the bilge at the end of every boating day.image.png.f366d294ab188be9b4c549d061f34e95.png

Something is wrong, there should be something to carry the water away. Either a hose, or a gasket or some sort of channel. Check in with a Chap dealer. Denny.

You may need to pull them and apply a bit of caulking underneath. They should have a gasket. Five gallons of water sounds like a lot to get from the cleats alone, are you sure that that is your only water source.

They are not leaking underneath them. They are caulked and tight. The water is coming in through the two vertical arms. I would have thought there should be a rubber grommet, but it appears not. 

Ok, appreciate the input, but I'm good. I found another thread where they are designed to leak, but normally they have a channel underneath hat you can add a hose or direct the water. Unfortunately, the only place to direct the water to from there is back to the bilge.

They are not tripping hazards, as they sit flush and the odd time you pop one up to attach line to it when anchored, well pay attention. There is zero chance of them ripping out.  

If you cross your lines on the stern and go from the cleats on the platform.  You would be less likely to trip over the lines getting on or off the boat. I would rather have too many cleats than not enough.

In a storm, I think someone else pointed this out too. I would not use them.

15 hours ago, Dgiles said:

Ok, appreciate the input, but I'm good. I found another thread where they are designed to leak, but normally they have a channel underneath hat you can add a hose or direct the water. Unfortunately, the only place to direct the water to from there is back to the bilge.

They are not tripping hazards, as they sit flush and the odd time you pop one up to attach line to it when anchored, well pay attention. There is zero chance of them ripping out.  

Could you link that thread?  I am getting water through mine as well and would really like to see examples of how it has been handled on other boats.

3 hours ago, Dgiles said:

Here is what it should look like. Unfortunately, even with the drain, mine would still leak into the bilge.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/241863-pop-up-cleats-leaking.html

1319723742_Annotation2020-06-24103043.thumb.png.a77b3f372b13b6e951c9ab73b6231ef2.png

Thanks for posting that.  The Accon units in that thread are way nicer than what chap uses.  Integrated drain cups and all of the fastening is done from the top side.  

The ones on my swim platform are a real issue for me.  Not surprisingly, my surveyor measured some increased moisture around them and they are also allowing water into an area of my engine compartment that does not easy drain down to the bilge.  I have a 3D printer and plan to design and print a drain cup that attaches beneath them with a second set of nuts or maybe just some sealant which will be needed regardless.  I have to rebed them anyway so might as well do it right while I am back there.  What a PIA.

Don't know if quality and quality control was better in the 80'S and 90's, but when I contacted Chap with photos and documentation of an issue with my 1985 235XLC that I bought used from the original owner in 1992 about a manufacture defect with the location of the fuel and vent hose.

They offered, and sent me a gratuity check, which covered the cost of all the parts and materials to do the job.

That was all I was hoping for to start with, the labor we were doing ourselves, which was ripping up the floor, and laying new hoses.

I thought that, that was pretty good for them to do that for the 2nd owner on a 7 year old boat. 

I would call Chap, let they know your issue, and what effect it is having to the integrity on your boat it.

It's only a phone call away, couldn't hurt. Denny.

2 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

What stops molds from growing out of the retracted holes ?

That's the point, there is no water in the holes. It simply drains right through into the bilge. There is supposed to be a catch underneath that you can plum a hose to so I can assume you route to a thru hull to direct it overboard, but on a a SSX, everything is at water level, so there is no point in having the hose. It is all going into the bilge regardless. You either live with it or you remove them, fill holes, paint, etc. Not doing that. You can't have a dry bilge with a SSX as everything drains into the bilge. The deck, the anchor hold, the cleats, whatever.

13 hours ago, Dgiles said:

You can't have a dry bilge with a SSX as everything drains into the bilge. The deck, the anchor hold, the cleats, whatever.

That would drive me crazy. I HATE having any water in my bilge.

7 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Dgiles you have the answer ?  Chap is telling customers to have a dealer charge customers EXTRA to drill holes & hoses & chrome fittings to do the job correctly ??

I am not sure what you are trying to tell me. I had hoped these were sealable,  they are not. There is no possible way due to physics to drain this water overboard. The cleats are too low to the water. it doesn't matter if Chap gave me free parts and free labour, that leaking water that pop-up cleats leak, just isnt going overboard. 

I am i missing something here?