Tachometer fix worked! Great site.

Just want to throw a shout out to this site and all the members who provide the insite and knowledge. Saturday the tachometer on my 2003 SSI 200 started reading approx 1000 rpms too high. I remembered reading that it has a rotary switch on  the back for different cylindered engines. But it was working fine at one point and I was pretty sure it didn't rotate on its own. So I got home and did a search and lo and behold found a post by "Slowhand" who talked about the rotary switch getting a build up  of dirt over time and how to fix it. So I crawled under the panel and rotated the switch several times with a small screwdriver putting it back to the 8 cylinder mark. 

I took it out today and it works perfect.  THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This site is awesome. 

I did as suggested but still not quite right. 

Firstly I have twin motors and tachos. Both were playing up so I did the screw thing. One is fixed. the other sits on 1000rpm when the ignition is off then slowly returns to zero when the ignition is on. It seems to register about right when the engines idle on muffs BUT that is only a guess. 

How do I check that the gauge is showing the correct rpm and what do I do to get the gauge to read zero when the key is off. 

Thanks. Incidentally enjoy your summer, its winter her in Aus. 

13 hours ago, SOUTHERN CROSS said:

I did as suggested but still not quite right. 

Firstly I have twin motors and tachos. Both were playing up so I did the screw thing. One is fixed. the other sits on 1000rpm when the ignition is off then slowly returns to zero when the ignition is on. It seems to register about right when the engines idle on muffs BUT that is only a guess. 

How do I check that the gauge is showing the correct rpm and what do I do to get the gauge to read zero when the key is off. 

Thanks. Incidentally enjoy your summer, its winter her in Aus. 

Sorry, can't help, but it sounds like that tach is getting wonky.  What does it read under power? Does it match the other one?

When I shut my key/engine off, the tach stays at the idle rpms before I shut it down. As soon as I turn the key back on, the tach instantly goes to 0. 

btw, I love tacos!