JohnB246

Rusty water coming from outdrive intake holes

I just noticed a rusty residue coming from intake holes on my lower unit.  Maybe I should be draining the outdrive each time I use it (but I don't).  The boat is dry stored in my side yard.  This boat only has 140 hours on it and it's a 2007 SSI 246, with a 350 Mag.  Mercruiser Bravo III.  I purchased it with 110 hours on it and have used it 10 times in the last 6 months.  I use it in fresh water and, so I'm told, so did the previous owner.  I did just have it serviced (yearly service).  And it wasn't showing this rust before the service.

Is this something I should be concerned with?

Are you sure it's rusty and not just calcium? Our heat does strange things.... Who did the annual? 

BTW, I'm in Scottsdale too, if you need a good mechanic I have a friend that has a shop at his house and is Merc certified. He got tired of the stealership cluster and  has been maintaining a lot of my friends boats for years.You can trust him to treat you like a person and not a number.

16 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Are you sure it's rusty and not just calcium? Our heat does strange things.... Who did the annual? 

BTW, I'm in Scottsdale too, if you need a good mechanic I have a friend that has a shop at his house and is Merc certified. He got tired of the stealership cluster and  has been maintaining a lot of my friends boats for years.You can trust him to treat you like a person and not a number.

If you would pass your friend's contact info, that would be great.

image.png.6067e5d8647e3c0b4108da469b373016.png

It looks like rust to me.  Anybody know what causes this? 

I see comments like, 'yes' be worried.  How worried?

Not to me or any boats I have seen in the storage areas.

Looks like a powerful acid is draining out of your engine to cause that much rust every year.  I have a 1986 & a 1990 O B withthousands of hours on each  Neither has a rusty nose bleed. from winter storage

Antifreeze is yellow, green or pink.