VRX 203 Tower Flew off on road

Has anyone else ever had their Tower fall of their boat and into the middle of the road while driving to your local launch?  I have no idea how it came off.  I just bought my 2016 VRX 203 three weeks ago from a certified Chaparral dealership with only 100 hours on it and warranty still good on the boat until Sept of 2021.  I have maybe put 5 hours on it since I've had it, I had no issues towing a Wake boarder and there was never any indication that it was loose in any way.  I've contacted the dealer I bought the boat at last Thursday, who said they contacted Chaparral about the issue.  My local Chaparral dealer won't even look at it yet as when they pull up the warranty info it shows the motors have been switched over to my name, but the boat hasn't so they won't touch it to let me know if warranty will cover the damage.  I was given the names of two people at Chaparral and have left numerous messages to see if we can get the Ownership Transform forms to my local dealership and have not heard back from anyone and neither has my local dealer.  I'm at a loss of how to go about getting this taken care of and am missing valuable boat season time, it's a short enough season already!  

image4 - Copy.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image9.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

without backing and without large washers at least I`d say the person who installed it forgot a few items and if it`s installed without backing its  sh$%^Y manufacturer and everything should be covered no mater what. Looks to be a good small claims winner

Duct tape the holes in the boat and go boating and document everything with pictures

Maybe all you Chap owners should take a look at your tower installation too

Another Chap quality issue. They are really cutting corners these days and not standing behind their product. 

Definitely missing backing plates etc... as mentioned. 

How fast where you driving when it came off?  

Definitely save the pictures. The best one shows the bent bolt and a nut still attached. There should have been a backing system or at the very least some large diameter washers for the nut to seat against. These would spread the load out and keep the nut from pulling out through the hole. Lucky nobody behind you was hurt when that thing flew off on the road. 

There were similar deficiencies in radar arch installations on larger bow riders and cruisers a few years back.

Thin and tiny washers, oversized holes, and no backing plates. Shaky installations by shi++y boat builder.

This is unbelievable...I don't even know what to say. I would call Chap directly. If they don't help, I would almost consider legal action. The tower coming off could have killed someone.

2 hours ago, drewm3i said:

Chap isn't what it once was 15-25 years ago...

I guarantee that a lot of boats from various manufacturers had plenty of problems 25 years ago, they still do today, and they still will 25 years from now.  So do many other products.

3 minutes ago, Cleaver said:

I guarantee that a lot of boats from various manufacturers had plenty of problems 25 years ago, they still do today, and they still will 25 years from now.  So do many other products.

For sure, but I have been inside and out many Chaps over the years (including the three I have owned '95, '99, '95) and I have pretty much never found anything that resembles the things that are posted on here regularly in the last five years. Chap used to be close to Formula, now that is obviously not the case.

Minimum wages ?

Piece work ? 

No pay increases ? 

Cheaper part time workforce ? 

Workers see a way to make their job quicker with less parts being put on the boat.

FASTER   FASTER  assembly.     WWAAAHHH HOOO    

We only increase profits.  All else is corporate  B  S.

If you want to see the status of the workforce, just browse glassdoor comments for the various boat builders. Provides a bit of a peek to the worker’s view of the company. Recently read them from another large brand of boats, many were undertrained and overworked.

I remember my last company having a outside workforce study done...……… NO names asked or provided on the form.

I spoke to the president of the company. I said the survey was excellent. 

If we had been in business for 6 months.   Not for over 40 years.  

I agree with others that it should not have happened due to lack of reinforcement but next time do not tow the boat without the bimini folded up.

Remember to ADD IN direction of wind & force to TOTAL forward boat speed. 40 mph with 35 mph wind blowing into bow of boat ??  Is the top being in a 75 MPH wind. 

WOW, man I really hope Chap steps up to help because this is gonna be an expensive fix and probably not easy.  On my 244 we caught an issue with my tower before I took delivery where it was not installed completely right and the dealer fixed it but it was not easy.  Really hoping you were gonna say the dealer was backing you up.  It is VERY difficult to get in contact with someone at Chaparral as they almost only work and talk with dealers.  You will need to be on them constantly and times it will feel like you left 100 messages before someone gets back to you.  Fortunately nobody was hurt and hope you can get some answers quickly.  I completely understand your frustration when it is boating season and you are looking at boat that you are not using.