Marquadtseast

VRX 203 Tower Flew off on road

Do a Phillbo on the dealer. Tell  /  leave a message at both Chap peoples phones about the FREE showing at the dealer. I have parked in a public  space in front of a company on a couple of occasions.  It does work fast.

4 hours ago, Marquadtseast said:

Was barely over 40, no traffic coming from the other direction, and zero wind out that day.

Doesn't matter. Towing with bimini up is a horrible idea.

3 minutes ago, drewm3i said:

Doesn't matter. Towing with bimini up is a horrible idea.

This.  Bimini creates force equivalent or greater than towing a tube with 600 pounds of people on it.

51 minutes ago, JUICEMN said:

This.  Bimini creates force equivalent or greater than towing a tube with 600 pounds of people on it.

It is literally a sail lifting the arch from the boat. If it was bolted properly with backing plates, properly sized holes, large washers, and locking nuts it wouldn't have come off, but still...you are asking for trouble.

I too don't see the difference between having the bimini up on the trailer and up when cruising across the lake???

3 hours ago, Marquadtseast said:

But it's ok for me to drive the boat across the lake for 12 miles straight at near 50 with the bimini open?

No, most biminis are rated at 35-40 mph.

My Bimini has a tag on it that says max 35 mph.

As this is a used boat, is it possible that the tower was removed at some point - maybe for storage- and not re-installed correctly? 
brick

On 6/29/2020 at 11:43 PM, drewm3i said:

For sure, but I have been inside and out many Chaps over the years (including the three I have owned '95, '99, '95) and I have pretty much never found anything that resembles the things that are posted on here regularly in the last five years. Chap used to be close to Formula, now that is obviously not the case.

I have worked for a Formula and two Chaparral dealers and I would never have mistaken a Chaparral for a Formula.  BTW, Formula boats aren't perfect either.

12 hours ago, drewm3i said:

No, most biminis are rated at 35-40 mph.

The tower biminis must be different. I've never owned one but the bimini on my boat regularly sees wind speeds greatly in excess of 35-40 mph. Probably takes it better since the poles have a lot of wiggle room in the connections to the boat so it's not so rigid. 

I towed my 2018 H2O with the bimini open several times at 75-80 mph down the highway.  Be it right or wrong, if that tower had been installed correctly this wouldnt be an issue.  

I have to think those flimsy thin tubes that support the bimini would have collapsed before that tower got ripped off.

16 hours ago, Phillbo said:

I too don't see the difference between having the bimini up on the trailer and up when cruising across the lake???

That is right, but I don't think is a good idea to do it. I will not do it.

One factor between lake speeds and road speeds are the air dams and vortices caused by near passing semis and other large trucks.

3 hours ago, Stretch79 said:

I towed my 2018 H2O with the bimini open several times at 75-80 mph down the highway.  Be it right or wrong, if that tower had been installed correctly this wouldnt be an issue.  

I have to think those flimsy thin tubes that support the bimini would have collapsed before that tower got ripped off.

You do what you want, but eventually the bimini frame will either rip from the boat or the canvas will shred itself. Why risk ruining your bimini? What is the point?

If the canvass shreds itself it was time for it to be replaced..  Mine is up 24/7 when on the lake and never had an issue. Being in the desert you really can't enjoy a boat without the bimini up. 

I've been hit with 60mph gust while cruising at 28knts and other than the poles rattling and the front straps humming as they vibrate in the wind, no damage and no sign that i should be concerned... As stated before. I have a stand alone and not one connected to a tower so no experience with that set up. Hard to believe they would design a boat that can't be operated with the bimini up at all times.  

Take it down every time you get on plane?  That's crazy stuff right there...

7 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Take it down every time you get on plane?  That's crazy stuff right there...

No, take it down before trailering on highway.

On 7/1/2020 at 4:08 PM, drewm3i said:

You do what you want, but eventually the bimini frame will either rip from the boat or the canvas will shred itself. Why risk ruining your bimini? What is the point?

I agree, on my boat if I am going to go faster then 40 I will take it down.  It will save you  fuel wear and tear.