Thought we would head out today before it got too busy.  We tried a cove that we have never been to before but there were ~20 boats so we motored in and dropped anchor.  After a few hours it started to get pretty packed so we decided to leave.  Went to pull up anchor and could not break it loose.  We tried for 30 minutes and nada.  There was a 36 footer not to far from us with the electric anchor motor and as we were struggling we watched him struggle as well.  Finally, he was able to pull up his anchor with a large tree branch attached...At that point I decided that there was no way we were going to get the anchor loose and it was time to cut the rope.  Went to grab my bag of tools and they weren't there.  Now what to do.  Yelled over to a couple boats asking if they had a knife, scissors, anything sharp.  Nope.  I didn't want to just dump all (125 ft) of the anchor rope into the water so I proceeded to start cutting the rope with my car key.  35 min & 2 large blisters on my finger later we were free.

Lesson learned to double check the boat before leaving the dock.  Oh, and when your wife says spray this on the blisters it won't hurt, don't believe her!

I hate dirty bottoms... Down fall like that is the worst. Best bet is to motor over the top of the anchor and see if you can pull it from a different angle to free it up. 

" electric anchor motor" = windlass

"anchor rope" = Anchor Rode

For boating  /  anchoring in unknown bottoms ? I use the   "sliding double line ""  anchor line. ! carry a 150 '  1/2"   anchor line.

I pass 1 end thru the anchor ring. Tie that end off to the cleat. Hold the boat over the anchor spot. Let the anchor slide down to the bottom.  Let out as much line as needed. Pull & set the anchor. Tie off the other end of the line.  Get hung up ? Untie the first short   end & pull all the line back. Works every time. 

I hate to say it. But any good boater should carry a knife on him. 

I have picked up lobster traps, small trap bouys under the surface. Even fishing lines. One storm I had to cut a boater free from his cleat. 

I have 2  S S  serrated kitchen knives.  1wedged into the dash. Other is wedged in the rear side compartment. Never had anything like you Iggy. 

Last year I lost two anchors in the same area. Tried to pull them up by hand to no avail. Tried to motor them loose with the boat. Nothing. Had to cut both anchors. 70 feet of line and chain sitting on the bottom. I don't anchor in the area any more. 

I still have one 20lb anchor and 5 feet of heavy chain along with 80 feet of line. Works fine but the annoyance of only one anchor holding the boat is forcing me to purchase another anchor. Regardless of wind direction, my boat will sway 180 degrees and usually parallel to wave action. Makes for a lousy day on the hook.

I've found a couple anchors that will fit in the anchor locker, shank length, but the stock is too wide.  I know you can cut some off but how much is too much before it has an impact?

Flat plate anchors have held for 100s of years with out the rods. Might need to LOWER IT DOWN. Lift it a little off the bottom. Then slowly lower it back down to lay flat in the right direction.

Those rods are for all the other types of people.

15 hours ago, willbaker13 said:

I've found a couple anchors that will fit in the anchor locker, shank length, but the stock is too wide.  I know you can cut some off but how much is too much before it has an impact?

Cut off as much as you need to in order for it to fit. Will not impact holding ability.

On 7/10/2020 at 10:51 AM, Phillbo said:

Cut off as much as you need to in order for it to fit. Will not impact holding ability.

Thanks Phillbo, we ended up cutting about 3" total off.

Side question - anyone have any experience with a Digger anchor https://www.diggeranchor.com/summer-line?  The place we bought the replacement also had those and the concept seemed good but the price was a little high $100.  

On 7/4/2020 at 9:44 PM, Phillbo said:

I have a full galley, knives galore.....

A long serrated bread knife saved my anchor more than once.

Not because I had no other knifes, I did, including a survival knife on my belt.

Because it was long and serrated and could be used as a wood saw.

On 7/4/2020 at 6:43 PM, willbaker13 said:

I didn't want to just dump all (125 ft) of the anchor rope into the water so I proceeded to start cutting the rope with my car key.

I guess nobody was a smoker in that cove. A source of flame including cigarette lighter could be used (carefully) to split nylon and poly lines.