Replacement Generator 2007 310 Signature

I'm considering buying a 2007 310 Signature that has an inoperable generator. Are replacement generators available? The seller indicated there is a legal issue with obtaining a new gasoline driven generator. Can the generator be rebuild or repaired? Is this a longterm thing to worry about? It seems like a large number of boats would be affected.

The A/C and everything else works at the dock with external power, but the generator is inoperable. 

Thanks,

Gary

Had a 2012  310 with a kolor genset. Nothing but problems, constant impellor failures,and also start problems. Found out the gen was not properly grounded,that sloved the starting problem,but still had issues with impellor failures. Finally solved that problem by closing the seacoack and introducing dawn dishwasher detergeant, no pronlems since. Why they make the impellor out of plastic makes no sense to me. I was told by gen mech. That the impellors if not used all the time are subject to getting hard as a rock,introducing dawn acts as a lubricant that keeps the rubber on the impellor flexible have done this also for winter storage have not had a failure since.

I have a Kohler in my 310 sig.

I have had numerous problems but I changed mechanics and for the past year has been flawless.

I use it every week and flush it with freshwater prioe to putting the boat away.

I would be very careful of switching brands, will it fit and do you need different wiring.

I dont think Kohler makes gas powered gennys anymore.

4 hours ago, GaryT said:

I'm considering buying a 2007 310 Signature that has an inoperable generator. Are replacement generators available? The seller indicated there is a legal issue with obtaining a new gasoline driven generator. Can the generator be rebuild or repaired? Is this a longterm thing to worry about? It seems like a large number of boats would be affected.

The A/C and everything else works at the dock with external power, but the generator is inoperable. 

Thanks,

Gary

I have a generator in my '08 Sig 270 and never use it. I also have a/c and don't need it when at anchor. I converted from electric to propane cooking and don't miss the noise of a generator at all. If we want to watch a movie while at anchor, we do so on a laptop. We only use 120 volt devices when plugged in at a marina or in our home slip.  My ideal boat would have gas cooking, lithium batts, solar panels and inverter.

Stayed on the hook Sat night in Biscayne Bay.

Temp was well over 90 degrees.

My cabin was 72 degrees.

I use some earplugs and sleep like a baby.

When there is a nice breeze all you need is a fan.

It is nice to get up in the morning turn on the genny and recharge

I would look at getting the one you have repaired, it is going to be a lot less expensive. The genset in my boat has not given me a lot of problems besides having to replace the impeller. I did have the gear that dives the impeller go out last year that is the most trouble it has given me.

The UU code stands for under voltage shutdown due to the genset being overloaded. Not likely a result of genset's engine problems ... check for the overload condition first.

Switch off boat's 120vac genset breaker (generator supplied power cut off) and restart the genset under no load condition.

If that works, switch all 120vac systems off, switch 120vac genset breaker back on and start troubleshooting each system individually. When all systems check okay, then start increasing the load by switching on multiple systems.

The water heater, a/c, and microwave or stove running concurrently can take the 5kW genset down ... especially if you keep them powered while the genset is being started.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 12:00 PM, jeffk said:

I use it every week and flush it with freshwater prioe to putting the boat away.

How do you flush it?  I assume you tee’d into the hose coming from the seacock and you hook a hose to the T and shut the seacock?  I have a 5ecd and it has the raw water cooled fuel pump module. It really needs to be flushed because in salt water it can get buildup and clog the line after the water pump. I’ve already had to clear it once. 

11 hours ago, Johnfrmcal said:

How do you flush it?  I assume you tee’d into the hose coming from the seacock and you hook a hose to the T and shut the seacock?  I have a 5ecd and it has the raw water cooled fuel pump module. It really needs to be flushed because in salt water it can get buildup and clog the line after the water pump. I’ve already had to clear it once. 

I would create a loop. Raw water in and out. Some boaters use a 5gal bucket and a bilge pump. Then run a barnacle buster for one hour and than reverse the flow for another hour.  

I close the seacock and open the strainer unit.

I pull the strainer and put a hose down there.

I have a regulator on the hose so I can control the flow of water.

I was told by Kohler not to put in a t fitting for the hose.

They said to much water pressure and it would flood the engine.

I also add some salt terminator to the bowl.

1 minute ago, jeffk said:

I close the seacock and open the strainer unit.

I pull the strainer and put a hose down there.

I have a regulator on the hose so I can control the flow of water.

I was told by Kohler not to put in a t fitting for the hose.

They said to much water pressure and it would flood the engine.

I also add some salt terminator to the bowl.

What a nifty idea. I hadn't thought of flushing using the sea strainer. I will try it.

Thanks