Top speed on twin engine Chap

Any twin engine chap owners out there.  Curious what your top speed is at WOT.

we have a 317ssx and just trying to compare what other similar boats are doing

photo below of the new beauty :)

thanks!

4EFC7AAA-2BF8-4E2F-BFFC-7D80D4F21759.jpeg

The engine/drive brand/model info required to guesstimate the performance with a given hull.

Rule of thumb - mid 50's on the water and mid 70's on the highway with good tow rig - :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, Phillbo said:

RPM's are more important than speed. What are you getting at WOT? 

Yep! I have a twin engine Sig 290. Dry the boat comes in at 9500lbs. I am thinking your comes in around 7500lbs. 

That’s a really open ended question. 

Our 2006 Sig 330 weighs 13,500 lbs dry, probably 15k loaded. We top out at 40MPH on the GPS with twin 320HP VP 5.7GXi engines and DP drives. 

12 hours ago, Phillbo said:

RPM's are more important than speed. What are you getting at WOT? 

That’s what is interesting.  We just had the boat serviced and the rpms are around 5300.  We have twin Volvo 350s.  I thought the rpms were 5800 WOT.

I am aware this is an open ended question.  Simply curious what other 28 - 33 footers are at

dry weight on ours  is around 9,000 lbs.  we have had it at 61.3 mph gps early on, seems like after the service we have been around 53-55 mph.  I will say those twin 350s are awesome on this rig.  It’s a blast to drive and the joystick has been a game changer having gone to a twin engine.

Curious if any Chap lovers have any ideas of how to get the top speed out of the boat without jeopardizing the warranty of course ;)

Be careful what you wish for. The 60 MPH on water is just a few MPH and one confused wave away from flying.

The two 350 should give you top speed in the high 50's, perhaps 60+ in perfect sea conditions with wind from behind.

Keep in mind, it is a relatively light boat, especially at the bow. It will want to fly given the opportunity.

9 hours ago, Jbarr77 said:

That’s what is interesting.  We just had the boat serviced and the rpms are around 5300.  We have twin Volvo 350s.  I thought the rpms were 5800 WOT.

What model year? 5,800 sounds awfully high for a small block. I’d say 4,800 is more in line for a 350. 

7 hours ago, rjbergen said:

What model year? 5,800 sounds awfully high for a small block. I’d say 4,800 is more in line for a 350. 

The Volvo V8-350 is actually the new GM 5.3L Gen V direct injected gasoline engine which has a max RPM of 5,800 as opposed to the earlier Volvo 5.7Gi or 5.7GXi GM 5.7L Gen I engine with a max RPM of 5,000 to 5,200.

Our 1999 2835 has two 350's with Merc outdrives and it runs in the high 50's.  It's burning a lot of fuel at that speed and I keep in in the low 40's most of the time.  

My 2014 31 Signature with twin 5.0MPI spinning Bravo3's , will hit 45MPH with four guys on board and a full tank of water and half a tank of gas in cooler weather. I normally cruise at 30MPH, which is 3,000 RPM and the boat loaded. This seems to be the sweat spot for her. At 30MPG I am burning 10.5 11.o gallons per hour each motor.