Swimming in the Marina..

Our docks have signage warning about the possibility of electrical current, but doesn't prohibit you from swimming off your boat/slip. Lots do.

How does electric current get into the water to cause the threat? I didn't see that in the article.

Salt water is more forgiving since it it go to ground more easily. If your anodes are being eaten up, thats a clear sign that your boat or the boat besides you has a wiring problem.   

There are VERY FEW  ....proven........recorded cases each year...........Why ?  Because there is no mark or organ damage .   You simply can not move muscles & die by DROWNING. Water filling up you throat & lungs.

2 hours ago, Randall Harbert said:

I have an 8" heavy lead fish with long cable hooked to a black jumper cable on it in a cardboard box in the aft cabin  and looks unused. Is that some sort of grounding contraption for that purpose???

That's exactly what it's for.  It an extra anode to deal with stray currents in a marina.  Helps avoid those stray currents from eating up the anodes on your boat.  I found one in my boat when I boat it as well - and to be honest, have never seen one in use.

3 minutes ago, Randall Harbert said:

What do you clamp the spring clamp to? The negative jump start post or something metallic like the cleat? Just wondering...probably never use it but would like to know..thanks for sharing!

Neg side of your battery. But this does not stop some one from getting hurt or killed. It just protects your boat. 

Our marina has signs saying no swimming but that does not seem to deter a few people...Other marina's in our area actually encourage it as a social event/selling point to hang out and get to know your fellow boaters (well, at least before Covid).

Title of this thread sounds like a country song. I have been in the water at our marina without even thinking to check my transducer. Thought of this after the fact. I hear of more people getting hurt around private docks, though.

3 hours ago, brick said:

“ESD” (Electric Shock Drowning) is a very real and dangerous issue. You should not swim near any dock that has power. 

Its not the dock so much as it is the boats. The News only said that the two brothers by-passed safety equipment on there boat. 

Could the Marina be wired wrong, yes. But it is more likely a boat that is. If your anodes are being eaten up quicker than normal! Than you or the boat beside you has a problem. 

On 7/17/2020 at 2:40 AM, Iggy said:

Its not the dock so much as it is the boats. The News only said that the two brothers by-passed safety equipment on there boat. 

Could the Marina be wired wrong, yes. But it is more likely a boat that is. If your anodes are being eaten up quicker than normal! Than you or the boat beside you has a problem. 

Agreed.