Sign in to follow this  
Bee Sea

beeps every 3 seconds

I have a 2002 196SSi 5.0 GXI-B single prop.  When I cruise at about 3500 rpm's for about 10 minutes, my engine will reduce power an I get alarm the beeps once every three seconds.  I pull the throttle back to neutral is beeps probably 4-5 times then stops (oil pressure 40 psi and temp. gauge is 175).  I'll idle for about 30 sec, op still 35-40 psi and temp 165 and get back on plane perfectly.  5-10 minutes later same thing happens again.  It does happen sooner if I have more people/weight in the boat.  Any suggestions?  Thanks Bee Sea

Thanks Phillbo for the response. I checked the O/D lube and it nice and clear and topped off.  I sure am open for more suggestions.  

Is there some type of fuel alarm??  I do have a very slight fuel pump wine....but I don't have a problem pulling a 200lb wake boarder, just only for about 3-5 minutes.  I have notice that its a little longer period of time before the first time it happens, then shorter time before it happens again!  This is a head ache!

I am more a Merc guy, but I doubt there is any diagnostic on the fuel delivery side for Volvo either. 
I am thinking the Exhaust manifold temperature is rising above the alarm limit and backing off the power until it cools down. The temperature you read on your gauge is engine circulation temp, there are also sensors in the exhaust manifolds. Low water flow can still provide sufficient engine cooling, but not enough volume for the exhaust to stay cool. Water pump service if not done in a while would be my first shot.

Thanks gang and the Manifolds and risers were replaced 40 hours ago.  I have just installed a new (aftermarket) raw water pump,(the housing wasn't perfect...but not bad) it was 6 years old.  I will check the exhaust manifold temperatures (with a laser Beam while running)  Is there a way to test the senors in the manifolds?  I have never replaced them.n  Thank you for the help and enjoy your weekend!