Starter motor possibly

Hi folks,

During the recent holiday trip I started to get issues with what I suspect is the starter motor. Turning the key produces a solenoid clicking noise and so I kept trying until it 'Caught' and the starter spun. Sometimes it would take two or three attempts and other times 10 or 20. It was slightly worse after we've moored up overnight and the batteries we're slightly drained, but even after running for several hours it would take 2 or 3 turns of the key to get the started to catch.

I'll do a check tomorrow for any loose wires but suspect I'm looking at the starter motor ?

What do you think?

Stu

Measure your battery voltage before and during cranking..If your starter has a Bendix clutch ?   It may be sticking.  Or you have a dead spot in the starter motor winding'.

Hi. I've had the boat on shore power overnight so the batteries are 100% full. All connectors look good and when I tried this morning I have the same solenoid clicking for 10 attempts before the starter engaged.   Not messing around so I've ordered a new starter which should be here tomorrow. Its the biggest, heaviest starter I've ever taken off, not an easy job when you're suspended upside down in a boat engine bay. ;)

Hopefully I'll devise a method for getting the new one on tomorrow.

Thanks

Stu

Save time & injury to your body. take 1 of the starter bolts with you to where you buy bolts. Buy 2 CHEAP one about 1 inch longer. CHEAP ONES !!!!  Tou must CUT OFF the bolt heads.

Screw both into the starter holes. Slide the starter on them . Change 1 of the bolts at a time.  Piece of cake.    i normally change the bottom first. I put in the real bolt& snug it up . if you center the bolts. You can the unwind the top bolt last .....EASILY & replace it with the other bolt.

IF tightening the bottom real bolt pinches the top temporary BOLT ?  loosen & redo the bottom so the top bolt unthreads easily. TThat way prevents strains & mashed fingers.

MAKE sure the battery can not spin the motor. Remove a cable or 2

Thanks for the advice @cyclops2

New starter arrived today and I initially thought it was the wrong one. The original weighed as much as a small planet and was made from pig-iron. The new one was smaller, aluminium and weighed considerably less. I fitted it, turned the key and....Click, click, click. :angry:  Second time I tried it was fine. I went through every battery / starter wire and cleaned / tightened them all (I found a couple slightly loose). The new starter is now working lovely.

Now, some may say that I replaced the started unnecessarily, however the original was 30 years old, noisy and somewhat asthmatic. The new one spins the motor over really quickly and sounds so much better so I think it was money well spent.

Stu