Boat's falling apart. OK to use loc-tite?

So I love my Sunesta to death but I am getting SOOO tired of bolts and screws just falling out ALL the time. My windshield has to be retightened several times a season, and recently my foldable rear seat lost 4 big $^& bolts and fell flat underway which freaked me out (it looked like it was going to slide out into the water). Thank God i found the two 3 inch bolts in the engine compartment and was able to fix the seat on the water (far away from land, and I usually carry tools with me for such situations). 

So, it is safe to start putting some loc-tite on the screws and bolts? I want to say enough is enough, what else is going to fall apart? If not, how else to secure them in postion? I can't always put a nut on the other side as per the design. Loc-tite or not?

12 hours ago, yogi799 said:

So I love my Sunesta to death but I am getting SOOO tired of bolts and screws just falling out ALL the time. My windshield has to be retightened several times a season, and recently my foldable rear seat lost 4 big $^& bolts and fell flat underway which freaked me out (it looked like it was going to slide out into the water). Thank God i found the two 3 inch bolts in the engine compartment and was able to fix the seat on the water (far away from land, and I usually carry tools with me for such situations). 

So, it is safe to start putting some loc-tite on the screws and bolts? I want to say enough is enough, what else is going to fall apart? If not, how else to secure them in postion? I can't always put a nut on the other side as per the design. Loc-tite or not?

If you use lecture, be sire to use blue if you plan on ever taking it back apart.  It will be near impossible if you use red.

Loctite will work as long as it is a bolt that goes into a nut or nutsert.  If it's a screw that goes into fiberglass or wood it's not going to help.  For those use 3M 4200 or 5200 if you want a more secure bond than the 4200 offers.

OK now you got me confused guys. I want to secure two locations in particular:

1. my windshield, screws on the bottom (into fiberglass) come loose very quickly, ie. after 2 hrs in choppy water of Georgian bay.  I am sooo tired of tightening them and i fear my windshield if gonna fly away. RED or BLUE? I don't ever plan on taking it apart other than for other repairs of parts that also come loose, but otherwise, not. I just want the thing tight for good.

2. my foldable seat in the back, it folds flat and the rear part is held by four long screws that go into something (nutsert??), probably not fiberglass. BLUE or RED? I never plan on taking the seat apart unless as stated above to fix other loose parts of it.

I was tempted to use RED 5200 to have the problem over with but now some of you say 4200 BLUE?

Georgian Bay is tough on boats... so stuff comes loose. Maybe it does require Red 5200?

ALTERNATIVELY, could I use 4200 first to give it a shot and if they come loose again , try 5200?

If it's metal on metal like a bolt going into a nut or nutsert you want to use Loctite tread locker.  I would probably use red.  It is removable it just takes some effort.  

If you are using a screw into fiberglass or wood then you should use a polyurethane adhesive or epoxy.  I would recommend 3M 4200 or 5200 for that. 

As for your windshield you need to fix that correctly and a thread sealer is not the answer.  Remove the screws and through bolt the windshield down.  You'll need stainless machine screws either #8 or #10s.  Stainless washers and lock-nuts for underneath.  You may need to drill out the holes in the dash area to get the bolts all the way through.  This will be a 2 person job, but it will fix the problem for good.   

I use what I call aircraft nuts. Some people call them slip nuts. The nut has the plastic ring at one end of the nut that stops it from backing off. The other thing you can use is a lock washer.