Sign in to follow this  
bobbadio

23 SSi OB with 150?

Just ordered my 2021 23 SSi OB and I'm beyond excited.  After looking at a few things I'm wondering if I should call my rep back and opt for the 200 Yamaha rather than the 150?  Going into it I thought the 150 would be good for what we are using the boat for but now I'm second guessing myself.  Any real life experiences with the 150 and a 23 ft Chaparral?  Was it not enough power for the boat or do you feel it was bogging down on you to much?  I'm coming from a 20 ft aluminum center console fishing boat so I'm used to the light weight of that but I think the SSi is 3400 lbs dry.

We plan on using the boat as a cruiser, hanging out on the water and some tubing, not a huge amount but we will hook up a wake board and tube to it now and then.

Thanks everyone!

The Yamaha 150 is a strong 150 and the Yamaha 200 is a weak 200. It’s a 4 cylinder and pretty much a tuned up 150. The 200 would probably give you a extra 2 MPH or so up top. Now if you could opinion it with the V6 200 like the SHO that would be a very worth while upgrade. 

We just picked up our 23ssi with the 250HP V6 stern drive. It’s still in the break in period so I haven’t been above 3500 rpm or so. It seems so far like it’s going to be totally sufficient power, without having been able to really see what it has. That said, if we hadn’t just been picking off the lot or if we get another one, I’d probably get the V8. I would think 100 less HP might seem a little lacking. Also am new to boats, so not sure if there is a big difference somehow in power delivery in the OB vs stern drive.

I would doubt you’d ever regret getting the extra 50HP. In the other direction, it seems possible. Without having any idea of the costs involved, I’d encourage....MORE POWER!!!

All that said, I know nothing about those specific engines, so take it with a grain of salt.

Excellent boat review.

BUUTT

They were nice enough to include gas load only 1/2 Full.

Passenger load  2...180 pound people

Maximum speed was 48 mph

Fill the gas tank, add 6 to 10 adults,  Add in trying to get up on plane against the wind ?  

My 2002  186  SSI with the 5.0 L 220 hp  V 8 is NOT over powered with 6... 220 pound seniors.  38 gallons. Boat is 3800# EMPTY.   With the excellent prop time to plane is 5 seconds. If you load big people ? I would go for TORQUE from bigger engines. Torque throws a boat on plane quickly.  Horsepower is all about WOT speed.

The V8 is super quiet. At 35 mph bow & stern people can hear each other EASILY. On smooth water.