Anchor upgrade or help?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, drewm3i said:

Answer me this...what is the upside to not having chain or an adequately sized anchor? What is the potential downside? This is not good advice.

Well, considering I have held 3 boats in very gusty wind with no chain and the anchor that came with the boat... I guess I don’t see the downside. 

5 hours ago, Steve&Steph said:

Well, considering I have held 3 boats in very gusty wind with no chain and the anchor that came with the boat... I guess I don’t see the downside. 

The downside is some noob who does not know any better takes this blithe approach and ends up dragging in a squall and his boat gets crushed on the rocks...inland lake boating is far different to coastal conditions. Like Iggy said, we can experience winds upwards of 40 kts with waves suddenly over 3-4' back to back in the blink of an eye. Running back to land isn't always an option as there are days coastal boaters cruise literally hundreds of miles along the coast and you can't simply pull in just anywhere. We also tend to overnight more and I do not want to test a chainless rode with an undersized anchor and end up dragging into a beach. I have overnighted many times. I have also drug anchor when the tide and wind shifted. This was on a boat smaller than yours, in relatively calm conditions, with an achor bigger than yours side with about 15' of chain. We power set the anchor and still nearly drug into a rocky shoal in the ICW in Florida. Luckily we were awake by that time and were able to avert disaster...

7 hours ago, drewm3i said:

The downside is some noob who does not know any better takes this blithe approach and ends up dragging in a squall and his boat gets crushed on the rocks...inland lake boating is far different to coastal conditions. Like Iggy said, we can experience winds upwards of 40 kts with waves suddenly over 3-4' back to back in the blink of an eye. Running back to land isn't always an option as there are days coastal boaters cruise literally hundreds of miles along the coast and you can't simply pull in just anywhere. We also tend to overnight more and I do not want to test a chainless rode with an undersized anchor and end up dragging into a beach. I have overnighted many times. I have also drug anchor when the tide and wind shifted. This was on a boat smaller than yours, in relatively calm conditions, with an achor bigger than yours side with about 15' of chain. We power set the anchor and still nearly drug into a rocky shoal in the ICW in Florida. Luckily we were awake by that time and were able to avert disaster...

I guess it got lost that the OP is asking for help with a 24’ boat (open bow) while “anchoring out in the cove” on midwestern mud bottom lakes.

The real danger is a weather report that causes you to leave the cove & THEN get caught in a life threatening 1 hour storm that can easily capsize your boat. IF you are not carrying enough anchoring system. Buy S S Connectors & chain & a COIL of 200' to 300' line. 2 S S links that allow adding the EMERGENCY line to be added. Anytime you feel threatened by increasing bad weather. Use  1 link to join the end of the line tied to the anchor. Other link to join the end of the 200' to the boat.  Modify the end of you present anchor line tied to the bracket in the rope locker.  

I have never had to attempt to anchor out a storm in the 186. It would just take water in I am ASSUMING. a 300' line will allow a lot of bow up & down movement.  I just do not know if the bilge & engine in neutral could keep the pump running for hours.................. I have just beached the boat on the calm side of islands or grassed sand bars. When I was a lot younger & totally without any knowledge of boating risks.

Piece of cake.