BATT 1 + 2 purpose?

Reading the manual from Chap, I see under the "Electrical Systems, Battery Selector Switch" that the only recommend positions are "OFF" for when not in use; "1" for starting and for running/charging, and "2" for running accessories ("house battery").  The only mention of the "ALL" position (which is actually the "1+2" position on my switch) is not to use it when the engine is off, to avoid draining both batteries (fair enough).

It mentions that both batteries will charge in the "1" position--I didn't know that, I thought only selected battery(ies) charged.  It does not specify, but I assume then that both will charge in the "2" position as well??

It goes on to say, in bold print:

Note: Chaparral does not recommend any other settings than mentioned because of possible damage to batteries or engine alternator.

OK...  what's the purpose of "1+2," and/or when would I ever use it based on this mfctr recommendation??  :huh:

I believe this is a correct expansion of the owners manual description based on testing with a multimeter while engine running. 

Factory wired:

Position 1 will charge both batteries

Position ALL will charge both batteries, good for starting when both batteries are low

Position 2 will only charge battery 2 (house)

It is for the loud music players who switch to # 1 when the # 2 battery is run down so low that they need to run down the # 1 battery to stay HAPPY.

Now they have run down BOTH batteries so low. That neither # ! or # 2 can not start the engine.   Switch to 1 + 2  And hope God loves you a lot.

1 hour ago, mikestu said:

I believe this is a correct expansion of the owners manual description based on testing with a multimeter while engine running. 

Factory wired:

Position 1 will charge both batteries

Position ALL will charge both batteries, good for starting when both batteries are low

Position 2 will only charge battery 2 (house)

This.

really shouldn’t switch the batteries while running for the odd chance the switch breaks before makes, or you accidentally switch through “off”. That will damage alternator.

Paul  Is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO switching with the engine running.  All modern switches are SUPPOSED to be a continuous shorting between 1..2...both.

You get a old or  bad switch & blow out a couple of alternators.  Do it Paul's way. Switch with stopped motors.

AH!  OK, great points, all, thanks!  Here's my takeaways:

• Start with #1, use #2 as house battery; turn OFF when not in use.
  • If #1 is too low to start, try #2.  If #2 is also too low, cross your fingers & try 1+2 (this being the only occasion to use the 1+2 setting).
  • DO NOT move the battery switch with the engine running (didn't know this!)
  • Positions "1" or "1+2" will charge both batteries (though only "1" should be used while running); Position "2" will charge only #2

Thanks, guys!  Just what I needed to know!

16 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

It is for the loud music players who switch to # 1 when the # 2 battery is run down so low that they need to run down the # 1 battery to stay HAPPY.

Now they have run down BOTH batteries so low. That neither # ! or # 2 can not start the engine.   Switch to 1 + 2  And hope God loves you a lot.

Wow, that sounds like a GREAT plan...!!  "Gee, I've been hitting the electronics so hard that I ran my house battery all the way down.  No worries!  I've got a second battery, and 'all' it does is start the engine--let's use it to run the radio instead!!"  What could possibly go wrong....  :rolleyes:

I don't doubt you--you're almost certainly correct that this scenario repeats itself every weekend.  I'm just shaking my head at this....

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I throw the ol' switch onto both and call it a day. The only time I every only run something different is if I am parked for extended periods and do not want to run both batteries down, but I know for sure I can easily get 2-3 hours safely by leaving it on both and still starting the boat.

Just no sense over complicating it.

Or risking it....  BOTH should only be used in an emergency. You could very well have one battery that is on it's way out and could draw down the other one as well... Boom, 2 dead batteries. Not worth the risk in my opinion when it take 5 seconds to reach down and make the switch. 

yes, only 5 seconds to make the switch. Unless.....you have 10 people on the boat, coolers, bags, food, etc and the switch is under the seat.

I get your point, but if that happens (i test my batteries every year and they are new) i have booster cables and buddies.

13 hours ago, Dgiles said:

yes, only 5 seconds to make the switch. Unless.....you have 10 people on the boat, coolers, bags, food, etc and the switch is under the seat.

I get your point, but if that happens (i test my batteries every year and they are new) i have booster cables and buddies.

You’re going to anchor for 3 hours and aren’t going to get into the storage where the switch is at some point?  I would still just run only one battery if I were you and just couldn’t bring myself to flip the switch.  You would still probably get 2-3 hours just from one battery and then you’re guaranteed the other one isn’t dead if something unexpected happens.  I boat on a small lake with no danger if stranded and people I know that could get to me in a reasonable time if necessary but I would still rather not for something as easy as flipping a switch.  

13 hours ago, Dgiles said:

Totally different environment... When we boat we typically have another boat with us but a lot of the time we are alone and 60 miles from help in a deep canyon. I'm anal about maintaining my starting batteries health. 

So many people run out with no VHF radio on board without  a full or base loaded 1/2 wave  antenna.

If I went out of radio range of help ? I would leave a boat plan & what time I would be back paper with 2 different friends. done it maybe 5 times.

No question the “both” setting works. Depending in the type of battery in each position would seemingly impact how long it lasts before replacement is needed. Kind of like running snow tires year round on your car, for those in the north.

https://www.discoverboating.com/resources/marine-battery-basics

To each their own!  There are many ways to look at this. First I would check the complete setup and make sure that the #2 battery is charging when the switch is on #1. The switch alone can not do this. You must have a battery combiner or a ARC.

Running on Both is all well and good. But it gives you no backup. I size my batteries to my load and how long I wish to use that load. Keeping in mind that I have a 2nd bank to fall bank onto. Or what I call my house bank of 3 batteries, that powers my fridge, music, head..............  Than my starting battery 

33 minutes ago, Was_Wylie_Tunes said:

Because you'll not keep the jump box maintained either? 

As my grandfather always used to say “ you can’t fix stupid “ although he was usually talking about politicians.

:rolleyes: