Under-Electrified??

Bought a 2005 190ssi last year with a Volvo Penta 4.3 GL-D, fewer than 300 hours. Love it but almost from time we picked it up we have had issues with unreliable battery start (cold and warm starting). It's a one-battery system with a new 1000 CCA  and we never use it as as house battery or for peripherals. Replaced battery in May and last week we replaced the ignition coil and  a few relays and had a great day until we tried to go home. Ugh. Well, that's why I keep a spare battery onboard.

Questions for more experienced folks: I have seen conflicting reports of where Chap prefers the battery switch to be when the boat is not running and we are just having fun on the water. Should I switch to OFF position or leave in 1 as others suggest. Also, is it expensive and worth it to add a second battery ?

James

Preferably I would add a second battery and an A/B switch. If you cant do that, I would add a second battery and wire it in parallel until you can install the switch between. Also make sure you alternator output is normal.

Unreliable ?  bad cranking speeds ?  Good cranking but does not run instantly ?  Engine starts but is erratic ?

Be very complete in describing the problem.  It does it every time?  For how many seconds ?  Is a fully warmed up start great ?  Every time ?

Change Distributor cap ...rotor... wires ....Sparkplugs. LOOK UP what spark plugs SHOULD be in the engine !!   NAPA auto place is fine.

The distibutor caps and their screws  can be broken by a careless  DIY person.

Battery voltage was normal (12-15) at start of day, then when battery failed to start the boat Sat. All symptoms of a dead battery, including the alarm. I had a load test done Monday and it was pulling 0. We had the engine off for 3 hours in the water Sat. so it wasn't charging during that time.  But nothing was running either. I was thinking alternator but that tested OK. As I said, replaced ignition coil and some relays last week. 

I am seeing  conflicting reports about where battery switch should be when engine is off and we are just playing on the water. Should I move battery switch to OFF position as I do when leaving boat for a few days or should I leave in 1 as I do when starting. Seeing conflicting information.

9 hours ago, Gretzky524 said:

and we never use it as as house battery or for peripherals.

Im a huge advocate for dual banks, but you dont have a dual bank issue, you have something else going on. Adding a 2nd bank would just be masking the reason the other battery wont start the boat.