Toolmantim

Lithium house batteries

Has anyone made the switch to lithium house batteries? I will probably need new house batteries next season if not sooner, thinking about switching to battle born lithium. 
Thanks 

I would not recommend at all. Lithium batteries present a far more temperamental chemistry and can be prone to explosion and are very delicate and prone to overcharging which can cause explosions. Typically for lithium to be safe, you need temp sensors and will need a different charger. Best to go with AGM for increased ability to deep draw from the battery.

I've been reading a lot on the lithium iron phosphate batteries as well (LiFePO4) - much more stable, less prone to overheating / explosion than the  earlier versions.  My longer term aspiration is to add solar arrays to the hardtop & bimini (flexible arrays) and couple with a battery bank and inverter.  This would replace the generator when that time comes. 

For what you are thinking of, you will likely need a different charger for the lithium

Pass on  this topic .  Just too many personal tolerances to consider for  the safety of  someone  else.

and cell phones, hoverboards and other Lithium equipped devices still explode and burn,

No Thanks

2 hours ago, Was_Wylie_Tunes said:

Its a hard no, for me. 

There are two types, you have lithium -ion and lithium polymer.  The ion is the type you have to worry more about.

Now the type that go into our boats is ion, but they have built into the battery a "Battery Management System". Not to get into it here, but it makes the battery a lot safer. Unlike cell phones! The down side, about 4x the price of an AGM . The up side is that there 1/2 the wight  and can discharge around 40 to 30%.

I would wait another 2 to 4 years for a price drop. 

I would add that the benefits over AGM are marginal for most people...you are talking only 20% extra discharge capacity for hundreds of dollars more.

Lead acid is safe & cheap.

Will your present alternator charge a non Lead Acid correctly ?

On 8/7/2020 at 11:00 PM, cyclops2 said:

Lead acid is safe & cheap.

Will your present alternator charge a non Lead Acid correctly ?

The battleborn batteries in thinking about have a built in battery management system so my current alternators and chargers will charge the batteries. They are a #$^% of a lot lighter and have an awesome 10 year warranty. Also the lithium iron batteries are a lot more stable than lithium ions in phones etc. 

On 8/7/2020 at 12:58 AM, Toolmantim said:

Has anyone made the switch to lithium house batteries? I will probably need new house batteries next season if not sooner, thinking about switching to battle born lithium. 
Thanks 

Have you made the switch? Very curious about your experience.

On 8/13/2020 at 10:14 PM, MontreAl said:

Have you made the switch? Very curious about your experience.

Not as of yet but plan on putting a system together over the winter. Hopefully 400 watts of solar and 200-300ah of lithium iron batteries. Hope to be able to be off grid running 2 fridges lights and water pumps for up to 10 days. 

I have used LIFEPO4 cells since they came out as Engineering Kits by Saphion Corp.  I over charged them several times. They simply built up pressure & exhausted a very sweet smelling powder. No heat or fire to melt the plastic or paper wrapping on the cells.   There is a major CHEMICAL difference between the very safe LIFEPO4 chemical &  new cheaper LIFE batteries. I can not say if the LIFE will not catch fire . Caution about the brand name & very safe A123 LIFEPO4 cells & batteries. A shortcircuit of 1 second causes the wire insulation to drip off of the wires. I have done that with just the AA  &  D sized cells.  A123 cells are made up in LARGE emergency batteries and for some electric cars & trucks.......I have discharged them to less than 5% many times in my portable vacuum cleaner. They recharged to 100 % when newish .  I have no idea what overcurrent devices you can buy for short circuit protection. A call to A123 is MANDATORY to prevent a overheating fire.  www.A123.com  

Nothing is totally safe in life.

23 hours ago, Toolmantim said:

Not as of yet but plan on putting a system together over the winter. Hopefully 400 watts of solar and 200-300ah of lithium iron batteries. Hope to be able to be off grid running 2 fridges lights and water pumps for up to 10 days. 

Have you selected any equipment yet?