2009 270 signature bow light wiring

Wondered why our bownlights didn't work, tracked it down to no wires going to them! Before running new wires, does anybody know where the factory wires run? If I can't get the factory wires to them, can I feed wire from the helm, through the bow rail to the nav lights?

18 minutes ago, Mhenry1282 said:

Wondered why our bownlights didn't work, tracked it down to no wires going to them! Before running new wires, does anybody know where the factory wires run? If I can't get the factory wires to them, can I feed wire from the helm, through the bow rail to the nav lights?

Do not run them through the bow rail, you'll be looking for possible trouble.

They should be run from the helm down the starboard wall or under the head liner, and if you run new wires, that is the way to do it.

Start at the switch or fuze and trace the wires forward from there. 

They may be strung along with other wires, or use them.  Denny.

9 hours ago, Denny said:

Do not run them through the bow rail, you'll be looking for possible trouble.

They should be run from the helm down the starboard wall or under the head liner, and if you run new wires, that is the way to do it.

Start at the switch or fuze and trace the wires forward from there. 

They may be strung along with other wires, or use them.  Denny.

Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity, why is running them through the bow rail looking for trouble?

found the wiring diagram, appears to be gray/green and yellow wires. Guess I'll start pulling panels and looking for them! Not sure if they're all like this, but our nav light is mounted to the bow rail.

6 minutes ago, Mhenry1282 said:

Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity, why is running them through the bow rail looking for trouble?

found the wiring diagram, appears to be gray/green and yellow wires. Guess I'll start pulling panels and looking for them!

The insides of the rail are not smooth, you could snag the wire while pulling it through and cut the insolation.

Good luck, let us know how you make out, for future info for someone else.  Denny.

1 minute ago, Mhenry1282 said:

Will do. I'll try to get some pics when I'm digging into it, if this rain will ever stop. Also trying to prep it for the new long block, so the lights may take a backseat for a few days

Love photos. Good luck with the long block.  Denny.

• 3 weeks later...

I pulled the whole front of the cabin off, I'll get pics when the rain stops. There is nowhere to run wires up to the nav lights on the bow rail, no holes drilled to run them up the very front poles or anything. The boat has a Windlass on it, so I'm going to have to figure something else out. Haven't been able to get the factory harness pulled apart to track them yet. This is turning into a pain!

I am thinking that you may have to run the wire partly though the rail. If thats the case, just add another layer of protection. Like electrical tape, shirk tubing, just something extra. 

The bow light or lights. Can be off center on the deck  if it helps you.  Can you run your wires right against the winlass wires ?  Bunch of TyRaps done ?  I do not think the USCG  requires that a bow light switch must be in the dash only ?  Do you have a constant  power in the cabin area ?  Go for it.