Sign in to follow this  
Tom Ehrhart

Garmin VHF210 install on 2020 SSI21

Hello All,

I just picked up a Garmin VHF210 for my 2020 SSI21 and looking at options to install, specifically for power/ground.  I'm fairly mechanically inclined with cars/trucks but this is our first boat and don't want to connect to something I shouldn't.   Options appear to be - Hook up to an unused accessory switch, direct wire to battery, or some combo of switch and common ground/power.  Also, to connect to my 74x chartplotter, I believe I just need the NMEA 2000 data cable.  Thanks for any help!

Tom

I would prefer the unused accessory switch and would not recommend direct to battery.  And connecting to your chartplotter using the NMEA 2000 bus is a good idea as it will enable the DSC features - you will need to register your radio and get an MMSI number through Boat US

NEVER directly connect anything to the battery.  Why not ?   The larger & longer  RAIN storms can / could  / will run down a older battery.

So can be  leaving on your VHF  or  entertainment units with no sound or any  one there. 

I have done all of the above many times in  my first 45 of 82 years on boats.

Solution ? run those thru the ignition  key switch   OORR  Thru the ACCESSORY POSITION  of the key switch.  Fail safe for your battery when you turn the key to ON. I never leave the key in when I leave the boat. Even for a quick lunch........

DO NOT connect a HIGH POWER sound system thru the key switch !!!!!! It will wear out the switch quickly. The amplifier NEEDS a power relay to control the high currents involved.

The unused accessory switch would be my suggestion as well.  There should also be a ground buss under your dash.

You can't just use a NMEA 2000 cable to connect to your chart plotter.   You need to install a NMEA 2000 network consisting of a powered T, terminators, and drop cables.  There are starter kits for this.  You could also look at doing NMEA 0183 as it's just a couple of wires to connect.

I just remembered ????:haha-7383:   A USCG LAW . If you have a VHF radio on. it must be on & monitoring the Emergency channel at all times. Does that sound right today ?

I was wrong / not sure ?    If you have a VHF radio on the boat .  It MUST BE ON & on ch # 16 only !!  UNLESS you are calling & talking to someone. When finished ? Go back to CH 16 to hear a emergency call & respond to it.  If the USCG does not answer ?  You might be closer to the USCG station. You should then BE THE RELAYER between USCG & the people needing help.  Been there. Very great full people. When we all gathered at the boat. 

Ok, so it sounds like use one of the accessory switches for the power line and ground to a common ground bus.  Since I don't have any plans to expand with other devices right now, easiest way for NMEA is to use the 0183 wires already present.  Thanks for the help and I'll report back with any issues.  If anyone comes along in the interim and has some additional comments, please feel free.  I won't be doing this until the weekend so I have some time.  Thanks.

Personal, I would scope out the helm. Chances are you will find a Pos and Neg bus bar of some sort. Of course fuse everything, but I would not attach the VHF to a accessory switch but the NMEA2k network I would.

If you want to use the VHF that will be a 2 step operation. Also for safety sake it will be a faster way to get the VHF up and running. Let say something happens to the Capt. Peolpe on board my not know that the Acc. switch needs to be turned on first. Its not labeled VHF.

Yes, Cyclops is right but must modern VHFs can scan.  

Good point about NOT using Accessory Switch.  I checked max power is 25 watts  OUTPUT. so we are looking at a total of 27 watts input from the 12 vdc .  So about 2 amps is the load .

I will now  move my VHF to the IGNITION terminal.  Thanks Iggy.

My 330 has a master electronics switch at the helm which powers up the Garmin and the VHF - you have me thinking on what that circuit is rated for.  Will check when I head down later today or tomorrow

I plan to crawl under the helm today and take a few pictures.   With the NMEA 2000 vs 0183, to you think its worth the effort for installing a NMEA network vs simple wiring of the 0183.  If I understand correctly, the 2000 offers more data vs abbreviations with 0183.    At this point though, no plan to add other electronics.  

The first thing you need to know is whether you already have a 2000 bus connected to your chartplotter.  If you do, connection to it is easier than connecting to the 183 - simply a matter of a new T connector (which may have come with the radio)

11 hours ago, Tom Ehrhart said:

I plan to crawl under the helm today and take a few pictures.   With the NMEA 2000 vs 0183, to you think its worth the effort for installing a NMEA network vs simple wiring of the 0183.  If I understand correctly, the 2000 offers more data vs abbreviations with 0183.    At this point though, no plan to add other electronics.  

Go with the NMEA2k network. As time goes on you may add things. My GPS, VHS, AIS, both engines date and Fusion head unit all talk to each other. 

Yellow is your ground bus bar. I would wire to the empty switch or a positive or negative bus bar behind the dash with a proper fuse. There is no issue with using the units switch to power on or off.