Jump to content
ramoszx12r@comcast.net

What Boat do you like other then chaparral?

Recommended Posts

I see that a lot of people are not happy whit their new chaparral.

My question is, what boat will you buy instead?

I purchased my at the boat show. I look at all the boats in the show before i bought my and the only one that i did like other then the 24 SSI was a Regal.

I fill that i don't have enough time on mine to make a fair assessment. That will come later, so far my wife an I are happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had more money, but not an unreasonable budget.  I'd consider Sea Ray, Cobalt, and Formula.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jjlai724 said:

If I had more money, but not an unreasonable budget.  I'd consider Sea Ray, Cobalt, and Formula.

Before i got my SSI i her a lot talk about the Cobalt so it was one of the first one i when to see, and i was disappointed not for me i pass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ramoszx12r@comcast.net said:

I see that a lot of people are not happy whit their new chaparral.

My question is, what boat will you buy instead?

I purchased my at the boat show. I look at all the boats in the show before i bought my and the only one that i did like other then the 24 SSI was a Regal.

I fill that i don't have enough time on mine to make a fair assessment. That will come later, so far my wife an I are happy.

I'm a fan of Cobalt and Sea Ray. 

The thing about these forums are that most people come here to complain about their new boat not praise it.  I would bet for every person that buys a new boat, has issues, and creates an account on a Internet forum to complain about the issues there are dozens that have no issues at all.  

Check out other boating forums and you will see the same thing.

Now I'm not happy about the new SSI line.  What Chaparral did was take the budget minded H2O and rename it SSI and raise the price to match.  Outside of the now dead 24 SSI the other two digit SSIs are not the same quality of boat as the three digit SSIs that came before them.  

My 2014 226 SSI is a quality built boat.  The latches and hinges are Gemlux.  The seats and upholstery are nice and look new for a 6 year old boat that the previous owner left outside for most of it's life.  The wiring is decent.  I did have to fix a few minor quality things like unsealed deck screws,  but that's about it.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a huge fan of Formula, specifically their 30ft + PCs.  There are two in my marina and I drool whenever they head out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The “new” Sea Ray line up is looking better each model, taking design cues from their awesome 400 SLX. But their last generation designs left me very cold. Seemed phoned in, and I consider them a direct competitor to Chap, not better.

Cobalt has the rep, but frankly I think they are a status badge, I don’t find their layouts and ergonomics very inspired, but they do use top shelf materials. A bit too show off tacky for me.

I love the Formula large cruisers, especially their new angled styling, but they don’t seem to put much effort into their small bowrider designs. Imron paint for the win there, looks sooo nice on the water in the sun.

Monterey has a great looking exterior, very chiseled and clean, and then you step aboard and wonder where the hot mess of layout and mishmash of materials and styling came from, they are very strangely fussy interiors, like they’re trying too hard.

Regal seems to be a decent form and function competitor to Chap. I like their restraint in styling and well thought out functionality.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite boats are Formula's, Chaparrals, Robalo's, Sea Rays, American Tug...

I bought my 2013 270 SIG because I wanted a trailerable "camper" cruiser that I could ocasionally sleep on. I never heard anything bad about Chaparral Boats and the dealer I bought my 2016 Robalo sold Chaparrals too. Since my boat was used, I expected to replace things like gages, the head faucet, repair the galley hatch, trailer parts and a tune up and a complete overhaul on the outdrive.  I am pleased with the 2 mpg/ up to 40 mph and I love the 377 MAG-Bravo 3 performance.The boat takes an unintensional/occasional beating in high seas and things loosen up, fall apart and break. I put 70 hours on it in 4 months and so far I am very happy. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't get too discouraged about your new purchase just yet. Many on here come to complain, some with legitimate issues, others just to make noise. Factor in all of the Chaps out there and the bad brought up here, doing the math you will see that it`s a small percentage. All boat manufacturers will have issues at one time or another, if you doubt, just visit the similar pages of those brand boats. Also factor in what issues might be attributed to the engine and drive manufacturer, not specifically Chaparral. Boats are built by humans one at a time and there will be failures of workmanship, design and material from time to time. I think if you took a survey of our members they would say by majority that the good far outweighs the bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a big fan of both Regal and Formula - keep in mind that my perspective is on cruisers.  Formula layout below decks is fantastic (34PC & up).  Regal was my first so holds a special spot - and it didn't disappoint either - fit, finish, performance - just too small for our use.  But one thing I really like on my 330 Sig over both Regal & Formula is the mate seat at the help.  My wife actually gets a bigger seat than I do.  Not a fan of that typical port side lounger that you find in most cruisers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Toddavid said:

The “new” Sea Ray line up is looking better each model, taking design cues from their awesome 400 SLX. But their last generation designs left me very cold. Seemed phoned in, and I consider them a direct competitor to Chap, not better.

Cobalt has the rep, but frankly I think they are a status badge, I don’t find their layouts and ergonomics very inspired, but they do use top shelf materials. A bit too show off tacky for me.

I love the Formula large cruisers, especially their new angled styling, but they don’t seem to put much effort into their small bowrider designs. Imron paint for the win there, looks sooo nice on the water in the sun.

Monterey has a great looking exterior, very chiseled and clean, and then you step aboard and wonder where the hot mess of layout and mishmash of materials and styling came from, they are very strangely fussy interiors, like they’re trying too hard.

Regal seems to be a decent form and function competitor to Chap. I like their restraint in styling and well thought out functionality.

 

It seems Todd can read my mind and make a post for me.  LOL  That is almost exactly what I would say and add Crusiers Yachts to the mix of SR, Formula, and Cobalt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think Chaparral makes a bad boat. The problems I have had are really minor problems. And the seat bolster problem I have is just a bad choice of materials. Overall the boat seems to be decent and no worse than the sea rays, regals and cobalts I have seen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chap243 said:

I wouldn't get too discouraged about your new purchase just yet. Many on here come to complain, some with legitimate issues, others just to make noise. Factor in all of the Chaps out there and the bad brought up here, doing the math you will see that it`s a small percentage. All boat manufacturers will have issues at one time or another, if you doubt, just visit the similar pages of those brand boats. Also factor in what issues might be attributed to the engine and drive manufacturer, not specifically Chaparral. Boats are built by humans one at a time and there will be failures of workmanship, design and material from time to time. I think if you took a survey of our members they would say by majority that the good far outweighs the bad.

I agree, so far i am betty happy with my.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Maxrider said:

I don’t think Chaparral makes a bad boat. The problems I have had are really minor problems. And the seat bolster problem I have is just a bad choice of materials. Overall the boat seems to be decent and no worse than the sea rays, regals and cobalts I have seen. 

There is a good chance Chaparral didn’t make your seat, and a 3rd party that specializes in seating did. Doesn’t change the fact that it broke though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a big fan of the lake model Maxums... the SE line is the perfect layout for me and they are not 'tight' in the cabin like a lot are. At 6'4" tall headroom is a priority for me..

Too bad they were squashed by Bayliner in 2009...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We wanted a bow rider and seriously looked at Regal and Monterey as well as Chap.  A side entrance was a must so that eliminated the Regal as all they have are center.  We were leaning toward the M5 Monterey but got a better deal on our 246SSi so we purchased.  As others have mentioned, a couple minor issues but we've been happy with the purchase overall and no regrets.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...