What Boat do you like other then chaparral?

14 hours ago, MonacoMike said:

It seems Todd can read my mind and make a post for me.  LOL  That is almost exactly what I would say and add Crusiers Yachts to the mix of SR, Formula, and Cobalt.

I'm a cabin cruiser guy and we like spending weekends on the boat. Our marina is like a country club and we love spending time there. Also, I'm 6'6" tall, so headroom in the cabin and at the helm are important. The newer hardtop boats, especially the coupes with full glass (not isinglass) front and sides, seem to pose issues with me being able to stand at the helm. Many boats don't have good sight lines while seated at the helm, plus you want to stand while docking for better visibility. So I've been on a lot of coupes and hardtops at boat shows and it's not many boats I can stand at the helm.

My list is very similar... Cobalt and Formula top it. Next up would be Chaparral and Cruisers Yachts. Then Sea Ray followed by Regal. The challenges are that manufacturers seem to be dropping cabin cruisers. Cobalt and Chaparral have already done so. Sea Ray has started down sizing and dropped boats over 35' except for the 40' SLX.

We love our 2006 Signature 330 right now, but with Chaparral dropping the Signature line, our next boat in a few years may end up being a Formula or Cruisers Yachts. My current goal is to sell out 2006 Sig 330 in about 5/6 years and upgrade to a ~10-12 year old ~35' Cruisers or Formula.

22 hours ago, ramoszx12r@comcast.net said:

I see that a lot of people are not happy whit their new chaparral.

My question is, what boat will you buy instead?

I purchased my at the boat show. I look at all the boats in the show before i bought my and the only one that i did like other then the 24 SSI was a Regal.

I fill that i don't have enough time on mine to make a fair assessment. That will come later, so far my wife an I are happy.

Are you asking what we would buy because you're sensing some of us are not happy with the choice we made by buying a Chaparral and instead, what would we have bought?

In other words, that's the underlying reason for picking a different but compatible model within budget, LOA, type as in cabin or bowrider etc. all those parameters have to be the same, right? 

3 hours ago, rjbergen said:

I'm a cabin cruiser guy and we like spending weekends on the boat. Our marina is like a country club and we love spending time there. Also, I'm 6'6" tall, so headroom in the cabin and at the helm are important. The newer hardtop boats, especially the coupes with full glass (not isinglass) front and sides, seem to pose issues with me being able to stand at the helm. Many boats don't have good sight lines while seated at the helm, plus you want to stand while docking for better visibility. So I've been on a lot of coupes and hardtops at boat shows and it's not many boats I can stand at the helm.

My list is very similar... Cobalt and Formula top it. Next up would be Chaparral and Cruisers Yachts. Then Sea Ray followed by Regal. The challenges are that manufacturers seem to be dropping cabin cruisers. Cobalt and Chaparral have already done so. Sea Ray has started down sizing and dropped boats over 35' except for the 40' SLX.

We love our 2006 Signature 330 right now, but with Chaparral dropping the Signature line, our next boat in a few years may end up being a Formula or Cruisers Yachts. My current goal is to sell out 2006 Sig 330 in about 5/6 years and upgrade to a ~10-12 year old ~35' Cruisers or Formula.

Cruisers Yachts have more head room in a cabin than anyone across the board.  

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

Are you asking what we would buy because you're sensing some of us are not happy with the choice we made by buying a Chaparral and instead, what would we have bought?

In other words, that's the underlying reason for picking a different but compatible model within budget, LOA, type as in cabin or bowrider etc. all those parameters have to be the same, right? 

Well is just that the reason i got my is because chaparral reputation as a well Bild boat, and so far it seem that way to me. I know is early for me but just my opinion.

40 minutes ago, ramoszx12r@comcast.net said:

Well is just that the reason i got my is because chaparral reputation as a well Bild boat, and so far it seem that way to me. I know is early for me but just my opinion.

Did you find any quality control issues that maddened you in any way and made you think like how the F could something that simply be done so badly and or a hole drilled so far off its mark like that where they had to patch the over drilled area but the patch itself was horribly done and so on and so forth?  Those are typically the types of complaints that we hear from brand new Chaparral owners who come on here and the H20 line was taking a beating like no other line ever in the history of Chaparral that I think they changed the name lol.

Other than that, the higher end models tend to have much less issues than the lower end and more affordable models and that seems to be across the board with all the manufacturers and not just Chaparral to be perfectly honest with you.  My son and I and sometimes my wife visit the Boston Boat Show every year and we see the same exact thing with almost every single manufacturer with the exception of maybe Formula.  With that brand, we scrutinize it with a fine toothed comb and look at every single fit and finish and how some things would last and how some wouldn't and we could never find almost anything with that brand and if I was to name a winner out of all of them, it would be Formula without a doubt.

9 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Did you find any quality control issues that maddened you in any way and made you think like how the F could something that simply be done so badly and or a hole drilled so far off its mark like that where they had to patch the over drilled area but the patch itself was horribly done and so on and so forth?  Those are typically the types of complaints that we hear from brand new Chaparral owners who come on here and the H20 line was taking a beating like no other line ever in the history of Chaparral that I think they changed the name lol.

Other than that, the higher end models tend to have much less issues than the lower end and more affordable models and that seems to be across the board with all the manufacturers and not just Chaparral to be perfectly honest with you.  My son and I and sometimes my wife visit the Boston Boat Show every year and we see the same exact thing with almost every single manufacturer with the exception of maybe Formula.  With that brand, we scrutinize it with a fine toothed comb and look at every single fit and finish and how some things would last and how some wouldn't and we could never find almost anything with that brand and if I was to name a winner out of all of them, it would be Formula without a doubt.

Like i said i only have 12.7 mile on my, so i need more time to form an opinion. What i found so far was some imperfection on the gelcoat wish it was not a big deal because was so small. The other thing was that i was under the impression that the water from on tap inside the boat drain out side, instead it  drain in the ski locker and to the bilge pump. I ask the dialer and they call chap they said that it drain to the ski locker wish go to the pump. I love the 5.3 350 hp Volvo, is one of the main reason i got it.  The whether hear have bin so bad, that i have not have the chance to look at every thing really up close. Maybe by the end of the summer i will. I was just trying to see what other brand people like and though was a good brand.

I use to be Chap guy as you can see I had two of them.  I'm turning more into a Sea Ray guy as by brother in-law had an older one and just traded it for an 2020 SLX 230 this year.  Best part he keeps it up at the cabin so I get use it all the time.  So far no issues and quality has been good - I love the wrap around seating.  Full glass panels are pretty cool and have worked well.  If he ever decideds to not keep it at the cabin I would probably be looking hard at them for next year.  But that could change if things start going down hill.

3 hours ago, dn0349 said:

I use to be Chap guy as you can see I had two of them.  I'm turning more into a Sea Ray guy as by brother in-law had an older one and just traded it for an 2020 SLX 230 this year.  Best part he keeps it up at the cabin so I get use it all the time.  So far no issues and quality has been good - I love the wrap around seating.  Full glass panels are pretty cool and have worked well.  If he ever decideds to not keep it at the cabin I would probably be looking hard at them for next year.  But that could change if things start going down hill.

The SLX 230 is a nice boat and was on my short list. 

20 hours ago, ramoszx12r@comcast.net said:

Like i said i only have 12.7 mile on my, so i need more time to form an opinion. What i found so far was some imperfection on the gelcoat wish it was not a big deal because was so small. The other thing was that i was under the impression that the water from on tap inside the boat drain out side, instead it  drain in the ski locker and to the bilge pump. I ask the dialer and they call chap they said that it drain to the ski locker wish go to the pump. I love the 5.3 350 hp Volvo, is one of the main reason i got it.  The whether hear have bin so bad, that i have not have the chance to look at every thing really up close. Maybe by the end of the summer i will. I was just trying to see what other brand people like and though was a good brand.

There was a whole thread opened up by a fellow who was SUPER DISGRUNTLED about the H20 he bought for many gelcoat reasons as well as hinges that worn't working and other things like that but the main thing that got his goat was that same drain you talked about.  Some said it drained into the keel gutter and into the bilge pump and some said it would drain into the ski locker which BTW, some of the H20 Models I researched DID NOT have a stainless steel tear-drop cover for the thru-hull that drained that water out of the anchor locker to the outside.  That means between all the water the anchor rode brought in with it and the water that drained from the rain and waves and whatever that ALSO ended up in the anchor locker would sit there until it evaporated which could take how long.........3 days....a week....a month, 2 or 3 months?!?!  That's ridiculous.  

Please find out where that ski-locker drain drains to and if it does go to the keel gutter, you can leave it there or I would drill a thru-hull and send it straight out be DEFINITELY do not let it end up in the ski locker or you will be engulfed in mold in no time at all. If you need help of how to drill a thru-hull hole correctly with no damage at all, I'll be happy to show you.

18 minutes ago, Hatem said:

There was a whole thread opened up by a fellow who was SUPER DISGRUNTLED about the H20 he bought for many gelcoat reasons as well as hinges that worn't working and other things like that but the main thing that got his goat was that same drain you talked about.  Some said it drained into the keel gutter and into the bilge pump and some said it would drain into the ski locker which BTW, some of the H20 Models I researched DID NOT have a stainless steel tear-drop cover for the thru-hull that drained that water out of the anchor locker to the outside.  That means between all the water the anchor rode brought in with it and the water that drained from the rain and waves and whatever that ALSO ended up in the anchor locker would sit there until it evaporated which could take how long.........3 days....a week....a month, 2 or 3 months?!?!  That's ridiculous.  

Please find out where that ski-locker drain drains to and if it does go to the keel gutter, you can leave it there or I would drill a thru-hull and send it straight out be DEFINITELY do not let it end up in the ski locker or you will be engulfed in mold in no time at all. If you need help of how to drill a thru-hull hole correctly with no damage at all, I'll be happy to show you.

Thanks a lot for the info Hatem. I always like to keep my boats dry and clean because the same reason you point out. I am all ready planning to relocated it, i do not know if i can connected to the anchor drain i hope i can. That be to Izzy right. I did a thru hull ones before on my last boat. I install a second bilge pump wish i may do that on this one, i Know is over kill is just me, the water is not like the road you have to be ready and prepare. The ski locker it have a hole to the back so i assume goes to the bilge pump i will look into that.  With my work and the weather i do not have to much time.  Working 14 day with Two 24 hr off to change from days to nights i am on the 7 day haft way there. 

23 minutes ago, ramoszx12r@comcast.net said:

Thanks a lot for the info Hatem. I always like to keep my boats dry and clean because the same reason you point out. I am all ready planning to relocated it, i do not know if i can connected to the anchor drain i hope i can. That be to Izzy right. I did a thru hull ones before on my last boat. I install a second bilge pump wish i may do that on this one, i Know is over kill is just me, the water is not like the road you have to be ready and prepare. The ski locker it have a hole to the back so i assume goes to the bilge pump i will look into that.  With my work and the weather i do not have to much time.  Working 14 day with Two 24 hr off to change from days to nights i am on the 7 day haft way there. 

Hahaha, I hear you loud a clear, my brother.  If you don't presently have a drain in your anchor locker to drain out an soaking wet anchor rode that probably brings in with it 2 or 3 gallons of water and the idea for Chaparral is to allow that water to eventually evaporate, there must me extenuating circumstances for something like that, right?  For example, the only think we could come with on the other thread for why they wouldn't put a drain hole with a stainless steel tear droop cover over it on the outside pointed in the correct direction is because the bow of the boat sits way too low in the water as is and that would defeat the purpose of having a drain hole since it would be doing the opposite which is allow water to come in.  But one MUST give Chaparral & Team the benefit of the doubt that they tested the bow and tested it over and over and over under all sorts of circumstances from calm water to an incoming tsunami!!!!!

So if I was you, it's pretty simple as you can take the measurement from the top of the hatch to the bottom of the anchor locker and transfer that measurement to the outside of the hull with a piece of blue tape or something that won't damage the gelcoat and go for a ride.  If you can partner in someone else's boat so you can look at yours with a naked eye and even a set of binoculars and find out how close that water comes to the hole.  Do your own test instead of depending  on Chaparral (I've done quite a few of those LOLOL) and some they were right and some they were God awfully WRONG!) and then you'll know yourself whether it's worth drilling a hole at the bottom of the ski locker so it drains out instead of into the bilge.

PS: I can't find the two plastic PVC pipes I made for my cylinders back in 2015 so I'm making a new set this weekend and running a whole thread with pictures so you can see it and others on how well it works.

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

Hahaha, I hear you loud a clear, my brother.  If you don't presently have a drain in your anchor locker to drain out an soaking wet anchor rode that probably brings in with it 2 or 3 gallons of water and the idea for Chaparral is to allow that water to eventually evaporate, there must me extenuating circumstances for something like that, right?  For example, the only think we could come with on the other thread for why they wouldn't put a drain hole with a stainless steel tear droop cover over it on the outside pointed in the correct direction is because the bow of the boat sits way too low in the water as is and that would defeat the purpose of having a drain hole since it would be doing the opposite which is allow water to come in.  But one MUST give Chaparral & Team the benefit of the doubt that they tested the bow and tested it over and over and over under all sorts of circumstances from calm water to an incoming tsunami!!!!!

So if I was you, it's pretty simple as you can take the measurement from the top of the hatch to the bottom of the anchor locker and transfer that measurement to the outside of the hull with a piece of blue tape or something that won't damage the gelcoat and go for a ride.  If you can partner in someone else's boat so you can look at yours with a naked eye and even a set of binoculars and find out how close that water comes to the hole.  Do your own test instead of depending  on Chaparral (I've done quite a few of those LOLOL) and some they were right and some they were God awfully WRONG!) and then you'll know yourself whether it's worth drilling a hole at the bottom of the ski locker so it drains out instead of into the bilge.

PS: I can't find the two plastic PVC pipes I made for my cylinders back in 2015 so I'm making a new set this weekend and running a whole thread with pictures so you can see it and others on how well it works.

I do have a drain for the anchor locker, i just do not know if i can have asses to it. I do not want to tare down a lot for that. When i have some time on the off season i will look at it. Right now is nice and dry. I did make the pipes for the cylinders from a 1" PVC and i use some 1/16 foam and it fit snog. I try to down load pic but this site is not cooperating i maid the pic as small as possible but no luck. 

What boat would I like??  Thats a big question!!  BUT it all depends on how you want to use your boat!! We live on it on the weekends, take one to two week trips. 

I am buying a Cutwater 30S. Or at lest I think I am? This week going to finish the deal for next year delivery. A Chap will not fit our needs!

We looked at swift trawlers, Mainships, Albins and Selene. All a little to slow for us. 

On 8/21/2020 at 2:37 PM, ramoszx12r@comcast.net said:

I do have a drain for the anchor locker, i just do not know if i can have asses to it. I do not want to tare down a lot for that. When i have some time on the off season i will look at it. Right now is nice and dry. I did make the pipes for the cylinders from a 1" PVC and i use some 1/16 foam and it fit snog. I try to down load pic but this site is not cooperating i maid the pic as small as possible but no luck. 

Take your pic and log onto Imgur.com.  Sign up to the right but you have to be a google member first and that's wicked easy just open a YouTube account and you're automatically a googler lol.  Once you're on imgur, you don't even need to fuss around with what size the image is or any of that crap ever again  All you have to do is upload the image from your album in your computer and then click on the picture once it's uploaded and then you'll get a bunch of options on the right side and you want to pic the "direct Link" as your option. Once you've coped that link, just paste the link right into the quote box in this forum.  No need to select picture or pyramid size or any of that crap just post the link and it turns right into your picture at full size.  Probably the best feature on this site.

My parrot Rudy, I've had him for 27 years old since he was weened at 6 months.

2AcUqXE.jpg

For example, he's a picture I took of y son who caught his first Spanish Mackerel we call them here king mackerels up this way and look at the teeth on that thing.  But  I do exactly what I told you, take the direct link and paste it here.

5KTTKlg.jpg?1

Check out this hole I carved out of the bow of the 276SSX to Install a windlass anchor lol.  

e9Gt0cM.jpg

Spinners in Florida.

AeLOKuX.jpg

My son Justin with one of the bigger basses we've ever caught up this way

Gub5hJ2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/20/2020 at 8:05 PM, dan02gt said:

The SLX 230 is a nice boat and was on my short list. 

He pulled the boat after this past weekend for winter and plans to bring it back next year.  So glad it is a sweet boat and if he definatly wasn't bringig it back that is the boat we would look at first.  No issues all year.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2020 at 6:47 PM, dn0349 said:

Completely agree the layout is awesome, we love the wrap around seating.

I read that Sea Ray is building their boats at some outstanding boatyards in Poland. https://www.luxuo.com/motoring/yachting/poland-yacht-building-yacht-style-1.html

If I end up getting into fishing and wanting a larger boat, then I'm looking at Robalo, same company as Chaparral and same dealer network. Otherwise, Regal looks like a good choice since Chap stopped making cabin cruisers.