290 Signature shore power - help !?

Hi all. I just took delivery of a 2007 Chap Signature 290. Everything is great, except when I connect to the shore power, everything except the lights and water pressure works. On House battery, everything works. Its just on shore power only ( i have tried several 30amp sources) I have no lights or water pressure. Any ideas? Is there a separate switch I need to throw? All the breakers by the battery switches are fine. Is there another breaker board I am missing? Thoughts?

no, if you have an inverter it is still drawing 12 volt power, this why your dedicated house battery or batteries for the house should be at least group 27 deep cycle, I also recommend switching cabin lights to LED to reduce battery consumption and heat, your fresh water system only draws power when turned on, you will be fine, also, your refrigerator should be AC/DC and will switch automatically when shore power is turned on

ok thanks....sorry am totally new to a live aboard boat. So when I connect tot shore power, I also turn on my House battery at the same time...ie I have both on at the same time? I assume the battery charger will charge the House Battery while I am on shore power ? I don't want to run the house battery down

the boat has LED lights and yes..the fridges both work on shore power..its just the lights and water pressure that seems not to.

That is correct, you should have dedicated breakers on your panel for each system, depending upon the age of your battery charger you may wish to consider an updated smart charger that helps greatly in performance and care of your batteries, both house and starting.  I have a Xantrex charger that I installed about 5 years ago and really pleased with it.  I also make it a habit of checking fluid levels in my batteries the first of each month, adding only distilled water.  When I de-winterize my boat in early April I turn on the refrigerator and do not turn it off till mid-November when I winterize, you are best to leaving it running all the time.  I only turn it off to defrost which is once every 2 months.  My boat is on a hoist all the time so battery charger is always on.  Good luck

thanks so much....that really helps... So I will now keep the boat on shore power alongside and ensure that the House battery is also always on when plugged into shore power....that way I get full power to everything as and when we need it. Will def look at the Xantrex Charger too. Thanks again....saved me a fortune getting an electrician to come out and help me understand what's going on !

2 hours ago, Paul W said:

so they won't operate on shore power ? I need to have the house battery on too ? Wont the boat convert 120v to 12v ?

Your charger will convert 120v to 12v. Thats why most chargers for the Sig model is in the 40 to 50 amp range. So it can handel the 12v load and keep the batteries up.

https://www.chaparralboats.com/publications/uploaded_files/190/2007.pdf

there is information in the manual on the various systems on your boat.  Also, don't hesitate to ask folks here or at the marina where you slip your boat, if you do.  Look for someone who has similar boat as you.  If they've had it a while, they probably can answer any questions you have.  Items like radios, engines, out drives, appliances, will have their own manuals as those are usually sourced by outside suppliers.  On our boat, we received a large satchel with all the various manuals in it.  The engine and drive manuals I got copies of from some one on this forum and the internet.  I do all my own maintenance and repair. Well, as much as possible.