Kevin6223

Upgrading wired remote for stereo

I have an 08 190SSI with a clarion stereo,  the wired remote(s) are somewhat antiquated and if like to upgrade them. The current unit is model CMRC3D and does not offer Bluetooth etc. The MW3 model that used to be available would have fit into the spot but wiring would need to be changed etc. Does anyone have suggestions as to what else could fit into the existing cavity on the dash ? I'm even open to swapping it out for one of the digital receivers im seeing , fusion etc , and disregarding the stereo completely.  I just don't want to hack up the dash very much, although I would if I had too. Suggestions ?? Model number references ideal. Thanks

Depending on your dash cutout, you could swap in a Clarion M508 or M608 with very little effort. Wiring harness is most likely the same. 

The boat is equipped with a regular clarion head unit in the passenger glove box , the driver console / dash panel has a wired remote that is not very functional. I would have liked the MW3 as it had blutooth but it isnt made any more either. So my issue is with the drivers wired remote and what would fit into that cavity. This may involve buying a new stereo unit without a a cd player, some of them are calling themselves digital receivers and the units look like they might accommodate the cavity , or slightly bigger. This would cancel out the main clarion head unit which im fine with.

Ok I’m epically confused.

My boat came with a Clarion CDM8 that I upgraded to a M608 to add Bluetooth and 4V pre-amps installed in the port side console. It also came with 2 MW3 remotes. One at the helm and one at the transom. The MW3s are just remotes for the M608 and have nothing to do with Bluetooth. That is handled by the M608 that they connect to.  For some reason I’m getting the impression you think they do or can do Bluetooth. 

The links you posted are not remotes. They are small self contained head units.  Are you asking if you can remove your remote and install one of these in it’s place?  If so I’m guessing it can be done if you’re willing to rewire everything to the location of the remote.  That will mean removing your current head unit and routing all wires to the location of the remote. 
It will be far easier to get a modern M508 or M608 to replace your current head unit and leave your current remotes in place.  It should literally be a couple of plugs and 4 screws. No wiring required.  

4 hours ago, Kevin6223 said:

I have an 08 190SSI with a clarion stereo,  the wired remote(s) are somewhat antiquated and if like to upgrade them. The current unit is model CMRC3D and does not offer Bluetooth etc. The MW3 model that used to be available would have fit into the spot but wiring would need to be changed etc. Does anyone have suggestions as to what else could fit into the existing cavity on the dash ? I'm even open to swapping it out for one of the digital receivers im seeing , fusion etc , and disregarding the stereo completely.  I just don't want to hack up the dash very much, although I would if I had too. Suggestions ?? Model number references ideal. Thanks

I just changed mine out with the same clarion remote.  The hole behind it is round and do you can put just about any of the new small round or oblong receivers in it without cutting.  I put the fusion wired remote to a new fusion head unit in the cabin.  Worked great.

not sure what all you are trying to do, but if you would be happy with a bluetooth connection to your phone, JL makes a nice (cheap) discrete unit that you can wire into your existing set up.  

image.png.a4656b335819dc96eaafd9ec87069174.png

I have the rockford fosgate pmx 5 can (not the shape / design you are looking at).  
I would not buy it again.  the first one quit working on season 2.  To their credit, they did honor warranty and replace it no questions asked.  

I think the Fusion would be a more rock solid option.  

10 minutes ago, VAboater said:

not sure what all you are trying to do, but if you would be happy with a bluetooth connection to your phone, JL makes a nice (cheap) discrete unit that you can wire into your existing set up.  

image.png.a4656b335819dc96eaafd9ec87069174.png

I will look at this, but ideally wanted a plug and play . The remote has 2 × 3 dimensions and the closest I can find is the rockford unit . I currently use a dongle plugged into my aux output for the head unit in the glove box. 

8 hours ago, Kevin6223 said:

I would have liked the MW3 as it had blutooth

Thats a wired slave remote. The main stereo media head unit is where the integrated bluetooth receiver is. With that said, if you upgrade the head unit, you would want to also upgrade the remotes. 

58 minutes ago, VAboater said:

I have the rockford fosgate pmx 5 can (not the shape / design you are looking at).  
I would not buy it again.  the first one quit working on season 2.  To their credit, they did honor warranty and replace it no questions asked.  

I think the Fusion would be a more rock solid option.  

It won't fit in the cavity

1 hour ago, Kevin6223 said:

It won't fit in the cavity

Currently all your wiring runs to your head unit and it’s about 20 wires and a single cable runs from the head unit to your remotes. If you replace one of your remotes with one of those small head units like you are looking at,  you are going to have to extend or re-run all of those wires. It’s doable but a lot more work than upgrading your current setup. 

VAboaters issue with the Rockford unit seems to be common for a lot of those style of head units. 

I appreciate the thoughts, I'm wrestling with this. Its entirely possibly i may have to replace head unit with a wired remote ... what models have people tried ?

15 hours ago, Kevin6223 said:

Its entirely possibly i may have to replace head unit with a wired remote

If the bluetooth plugged into the AUX is not cutting it for you, then yes, your options is to place the head unit and remotes. Clarion I believe, still produces a rectangle remote for OEM applications, and will be compatible with the current Clarion units such as the M608 or M508. Requires updating the remote extension cable as well.