Need a more powerful alternator

Hi there , i currently have a 70 amp alternator , mercury marine 863077-1 , with a single battery. I want to invest in a new audio system that will incorporate subs, tower speakers etc. I Imagine i need to change the single battery into am dual battery , what kind of switch have people ordered for this ?? model numbers please. Also, this new system will have a fusion 2000 watt amplifier which i imagine will need a larger production of amps , what model of alternator have people used successfully here ?? Ideally one that bolts up and doesnt require any modifications. Thanks

pumping 2000 watts of audio make you a good target for target practice .plus you need to change the wire from the alt to your wiring to a very much larger wire (#2Ga)going directly to the battery

At a full 70 amps you would be melting the 10 gage wire off the alt

So you plan to keep the engine running??

Most boaters would add 2 or 3 batteries and do the math at to load + run time vs battery amp hours. This will tell you how long you can use the system without ruining the batteries. 

7 hours ago, Kevin6223 said:

Also, this new system will have a fusion 2000 watt amplifier

This is a peak number used by the marketing dept. Reality, the RMS is 1120 with all 8 chnls @ 2 ohm. If this was the case, first thing id do is add another amp and split the load up. 

As to the current draw, I doubt you would see this amp spike above 60A. IMO, Id rather build a solid 2-bank setup and use shore-charging for the house bank once the boat is back in its home. You'll get more mileage then upgrading the alternator. With that said, whats the age and hours on the alternator?  

16 minutes ago, jeffk said:

Maybe i am getting too old.

My music does not need to be heard by other boats, and i dont need to hear theirs.

I'll go days without even turning on any music.... When I am on the lake I want peace and quiet.

1 hour ago, Phillbo said:

I'll go days without even turning on any music.... When I am on the lake I want peace and quiet.

I love the tranquility of boating during the week, nobody around for miles.

And my girl goes by the name of Serenity. 

Welcome to the golden years. Denny.

33 minutes ago, Bt Doctur said:

could use the speakers for target practice

On open water, sounds travels forever.

I have heard the sounds of boats with through hull exhaust that are so far away that you can't even see them.

I don't know how it is with you guys, and canyon walls.  Denny.

23 hours ago, Steve&Steph said:

Maybe he will change his mind now..

Not a chance!

We have plenty of them in South Florida.

We anchor in a cove overnight, when it gets late and quiet you can hear people talking on the other side of the cove.

Once you are in the cabin it is pretty quiet

On 8/31/2020 at 6:57 PM, Was_Wylie_Tunes said:

This is a peak number used by the marketing dept. Reality, the RMS is 1120 with all 8 chnls @ 2 ohm. If this was the case, first thing id do is add another amp and split the load up. 

As to the current draw, I doubt you would see this amp spike above 60A. IMO, Id rather build a solid 2-bank setup and use shore-charging for the house bank once the boat is back in its home. You'll get more mileage then upgrading the alternator. With that said, whats the age and hours on the alternator?  

I dont have the ability to shore charge the batteries unfortunately , does this indicate that i should get a larger alternator ? Also, Im not sure i understand the need for a second amp ? My plan for this amp involves a max of maybe 700 watts RMS but allows me to add to it if i needed down the road. 

I have 200 watts RMS in a 8'  model PTB . With 8 big Caddy car speakers.  I have to wear ear plugs at full power  Are you going to entertain the island party with your off shore  anchored music box ?

7 hours ago, Kevin6223 said:

the set up is designed for the folks that are wakeboarding / tubing behind me. To each their own !  

I too am a believer of to each his own, as long as it doesn't infringe on others.

I feel sorry for the people that vibrate my car, they will need hearing aids, long before they get anywheres near my age.

What about the people that will be 3 miles away from you, do they get to choose any of the music, that you will be broadcasting over the water ways?  Denny.

17 hours ago, Kevin6223 said:

the set up is designed for the folks that are wakeboarding / tubing behind me. To each their own !  

Based on this, you would want a decent pair of horn loaded compression driver tower speakers in the 8" or larger size and able to handle some decent wattage. So get that wattage with the selected amp, you'd want to bridge each speaker across 2 chnls each. So right there, you taken up half the amp. For the woofer, you'd again want to bridge it across 2 chnls, using the proper impedance woofer of course. This leaves you 2 chnl for one or two pair of cabin speakers. With only one pair of cabin speakers, 3/4 of the amp chnls are running ta their minimum impedance. Add in a 2nd pair of cabin speakers and now all 8 chnls are at their minimum impedance. This means the amp is running pedal to the metal. This is why 2 second amp would be a suggestion to consider. Split the load across 2 amps. 

If sticking with the Fusion Signature series, id suggest the 5 chnl and the 4 chnl.  

7 hours ago, Was_Wylie_Tunes said:

Based on this, you would want a decent pair of horn loaded compression driver tower speakers in the 8" or larger size and able to handle some decent wattage. So get that wattage with the selected amp, you'd want to bridge each speaker across 2 chnls each. So right there, you taken up half the amp. For the woofer, you'd again want to bridge it across 2 chnls, using the proper impedance woofer of course. This leaves you 2 chnl for one or two pair of cabin speakers. With only one pair of cabin speakers, 3/4 of the amp chnls are running ta their minimum impedance. Add in a 2nd pair of cabin speakers and now all 8 chnls are at their minimum impedance. This means the amp is running pedal to the metal. This is why 2 second amp would be a suggestion to consider. Split the load across 2 amps. 

If sticking with the Fusion Signature series, id suggest the 5 chnl and the 4 chnl.  

so im ordering the fusion hideway unit ( wb670 )as well, the on board speakers ( 4 of them ) are planned for the amp that it comes with which i believe is 200 watts. The other amp is planned for the pair of fusion tower speakers SG-FT88SPWC , and the fusion 10 inch sub, SG-SL102SPW