First Boat purchase - Few Options available

I was looking at a 2018 226 with 50 hours for $45K. Took me too long to decide and it was sold this weekend. It was a great deal that I let it go....

I have a few other options that the dealer is offering me and since I don't know much about boats would like to hear everyone's opinion while I do my own research.

Around my area there's a 2014 Chaparral 226 SSi with 175 hours for $45K (which I think it is too expensive). The dealer is offering me a 2021 CHAPARRAL21 SSI for $52,000 (price to be negotiated, of course). Away from me, there's a 2016 227 for $45K, again, I think it is overpriced, but price is always negotiable.

It is very difficult to compare. I'd say that by the looks the 2014 226 is more loaded than the 2021 21 SSI, plus the 226 has a V8 engine while the 21 has a V6 with 200 HP.

Appreciate any comments!

The 226 SSI is a much nicer boat than the 21 SSI and also larger, but the 21 is new so it has a warranty and 0 hours.  The 21 is under powered with the 200HP V6. What engine does the 226 have?  Probably the Volvo V8-270 which powers it good.  The 227 SSX is also nice. What engine does it have?  
You’re right on the 226 and 227 being over priced. I paid $39k for my 2014 226 SSI last year (pre COVID buying craze) with 36 hours on it. 

The 226 has a Volvo V8, it looks really nice despite the age (not sure if that really matters much on a boat). I asked them about pricing and they are not willing to go much lower than the $45K. It is definitely overpriced. I sent a note with an offer of $36K, let's see if they entertain it then I'll go check it out.

The dealer with the 21 SSI doesn't want to lower much either. He's saying he can probably cut $1000 on the price if I get the trailer, which on that price of $51K is already included. Based on researches I did, generally you would get 20% off MSRP on a "normal" year. This is not an "normal" year.

I am checking the details with the other 227 SSX now, the website does not provide the details on the engine neither the options. However that one is in FL, so, I'll have to drive a few hours to check it out. I have bought cars from other towns before to save $$'s, boats are a bit different.

It is a buyers market now, boats are going quick.

The 226 is gone. I did a sea trail of the 21 SSI and liked it. However, looks small, I have mostly been on boats 23" and larger. The extra 2 feet makes a difference. And price goes up a lot between the 21 and 23 SSI.

I am working thru the numbers and financing, but not sure if I should probably go with the 2016 227. Although I like the 2 captain seats layout better.

its getting to that time of the year when you will start to see more and more boats coming for sale as people want to off load them prior to winter....expand your search area - you might get a bargain...I just picked up a 2007 Sig 290 for 10K under book as the owner was desperate to get rid before winter set in

So turns out the 23 SSI they have right now does not have a tower. They said they can add a tower but it would cost more than if I buy one that comes out of the factory with it.

I looked around and seems like you see a lot of 21 SSI in stock but not a lot of 23s.

They have a 24 in stock, but, ouch... $84K!

And also the 237 SSX but they are like $70K!

I kind of "dropped" the 23 SSI and saw a 2012 244 Sunesta this weekend. No tower but it is a 24" boat, has pretty much everything I am looking for. 258 hours. Asking $43K.

In your experience, what are the pros/cons of this boat since it does have a wet bar and a toilet. I am asking in terms of additional maintenance all these options will incour?

• 2 weeks later...

Do NOT pay for the boat until a full TEST RIDE,,,,,,,,, Never pay untill ALL of your complaints........... Which the dealer SHOULD HAVE repaired BEFORE asking you to pay for a perfect NEW BOAT  WITH PERFECT NEW MONEY................. ITtis called. DEALER PREPARATION CHARGE.

I would get a well respected Marine Surveyor  To go on the test ride AND  AND   TEST and inspect the boat completely for factory bad workmanship.  ALL COVERS to be unwrapped & put up COMPLETELY  !!!!  No dealer excuses.  Because the factory ran out and it could take months to get a cover.  Check the boat for every option you ordered.

Enjoy the new boat.  :)

I am still enjoying my bought new 2002 186 SSI  With the 5.0 V8.

• 3 weeks later...