Bow wandering, V hull and steering play?

So guys I need to know how much steering play is normal. The reason I ask is because the bow wandering seems constant.  I know that our deep v-hulls are a factor, but perhaps a new steering cable is in order.  The boat is a 2016 Sunesta 264 Bravo 3 X drive with 114 hours on the engine. (The Gimbal is tight -  outdrive moves 1/8" back and forth with free play - Mercury Customer support states that is normal play) The issue I am seeing is the steering wheel has 3 1/2" of play moving it back and forth.  The steering shaft and the steering rack is about 1/4" free play. I hoping someone can tell me if replacing the cable will reduce this 3 1/2" steering play. (the Teleflex kit I believe comes with new steering wheel spline and cable). 

thanks for the your help,  Dennis

This year of Sunesta had a recall on the helm control, there should be old posts on it if you search.  I have been keeping that in mind as I have the same vintage and believe that I may have to do mine at some point.  I think it was an issue in the wheel to cable mechanism.. 

There is really no keel on modern hulls.  Add in heavy engines & people at the stern seats. Bow is more out of the water.  A real boat with a midships motor & transmission with a real rudder.  Straight as can be all the time.  Short, wide, hulls, are bad at going straight ahead.

I know as I have a tubby. 2002  186 SSI  5.0 L engine. 8.5 ' wide 3600 pounds empty. thick hull. The Whale fin reduced bow wandering a lot. But removed almost ALL reverse steering to 1 side.

Modern  people carrying  hulls are terrible.  

I've never heard of a boat manufacturer coming out with a recall but then I've never owned a new boat. 

Bow wander is normal but if you feel yours is excessive I'd try a new Teleflex kit after adjusting the current cable... 

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input. One thing I did notice was that my steering cable seems too long, about 2'.  From the helm as the cable goes to the stern, It drapes downward from the top of the gunnel to the very bottom and then goes back up again to the top as it goes through fiberglass wall that separates the engine compartment. It appears that Chaparral perhaps ordered certain length steering cables that would work in a variety of lengths of boats? Maybe this is where I getting so much free-play.

Droopy cables might cause a very small a small amount.   But my 16' aluminum fish boat with a max 30 HP motor with all the weight at the rear of it. is a hads off straight ahead in calm water at any speed.   No  There is  some combination of hull shape & that damm  stern drive that causes the automatic wandering from left to right forever.   I know that fo a fact. as I C clamped the stern drive at straight ahead. Then also clamped a 1 X 1 stick vertically also .   The stick NEVER swung a bit.

Do you much bigger O B powered boats also bow steer ?  How about twin / dual engines ?

I did some searching as I wanted to remind myself. NO RECALL, they had exchanged some for people who were not happy, but I am sure that boat has sailed long ago..HA!

Anyway, there is a new improved box and cables that will address the issue.  I dont think 3.5" of play is normal ...

13 hours ago, drewm3i said:

Bow wander is pretty normal. Trim tabs fix this.

Hmmm....never thought about trim tabs to minimize wander.  I don't have an issue with it on the lake, but when boating on the ICW, it got on my nerves a little.  I'll have to try this.  I'm guessing partial deployment?

Yeah, just adding the Smart Tabs to my 210 eliminated bow wander at idle speed. Keep in mind at idle speed they are automatically in the full down position.

2 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Hmmm....never thought about trim tabs to minimize wander.  I don't have an issue with it on the lake, but when boating on the ICW, it got on my nerves a little.  I'll have to try this.  I'm guessing partial deployment?

Full down.

What I have . Big engine. Big prop. Boat jumps very much to the pitch rotation direction. Almost nothing the opposite direction.

Wind from the wrong direction ? I call another senior boater to handle the bow dock line. After he gets that correct. I use reverse to pull the transom in.  I also use the amidship cleat in severe wind.  

I am now sharing my docking space with a canvassed 20'  Pontoon boat. FANTASTIC wind breaker !! For any side wind.

L I G.   :wub:

5 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

All the way down works for me.  Denny.

Can you guys comment on how many inches of free play you currently have in your steering wheel? I bought my boat used with 40 hrs on the clock and the steering had about 3 inches of play at the time. I have no idea what the steering should feel like when brand new from the factory. I would like to replace the the spline and the cable (hoping for little free play of no more that 1 inch)  compared to what I have now at 3 1/2 inches. I have sent an email to Teleflex (now Seastar Solutions) for their opinion. Thoughts?

The yaw on my boat is terrible. While its annoying I've been doing it for years and its kinda automatic in my handling it.    I've read here, over the years, how tabs would help but I never really believed it. But these postings above are the first time I've seen people typing "full down."  This explains why they work.

I believe my prop is more the cause then the hull. When I'm navigating towards my slip and I want to slow down a bit, I put it in neutral. The yawing stops and the boat goes where I steer it.

43 minutes ago, SST said:

The yaw on my boat is terrible. While its annoying I've been doing it for years and its kinda automatic in my handling it.    I've read here, over the years, how tabs would help but I never really believed it. But these postings above are the first time I've seen people typing "full down."  This explains why they work.

I believe my prop is more the cause then the hull. When I'm navigating towards my slip and I want to slow down a bit, I put it in neutral. The yawing stops and the boat goes where I steer it.

23 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

I have never had yawing in reverse .  :captain:

Why would you?