Bow wandering, V hull and steering play?

45 minutes ago, SST said:

The yaw on my boat is terrible. While its annoying I've been doing it for years and its kinda automatic in my handling it.    I've read here, over the years, how tabs would help but I never really believed it. But these postings above are the first time I've seen people typing "full down."  This explains why they work.

I believe my prop is more the cause then the hull. When I'm navigating towards my slip and I want to slow down a bit, I put it in neutral. The yawing stops and the boat goes where I steer it.

The prop wash is what produces the yaw, when the prop stops turning in neutral the yaw goes away, now your outdrive acts as a rudder.  Denny.

I have always wondered why the sterndrive companies were to CHEAP !!!   To put big enough lower skegs under the prop.

Just super cheap skates.  Oh well.  They have no wander problems on their 150' yachts.  We paid for.

3 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

I have always wondered why the sterndrive companies were to CHEAP !!!   To put big enough lower skegs under the prop.

Just super cheap skates.  Oh well.  They have no wander problems on their 150' yachts.  We paid for.

Bigger skegs? Great, there would be more broken off on our river.  :haha-7383:

53 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

Do they compete for shallow draft numbers?  I mean one might be more inclined to buy a boat with a more shallow draft than another with a large skeg  :scratchchin: 

The company sales /  P R specs ?   Useless after people  and stuff is carried onboard.

Draft is a TEAM boat effort. Not just the skeg.  Trim the drive up at idle or less than 1500  rpms to clear a shallow spot.

Hey guys, I got a response from Seastar Solutions. I thought I would share their response:

For what it's worth, I do have power assist and tilt wheel...

SEASTAR SOLUTIONS

Dennis, your boat probably has power steering assist on it.

If so that will add free play to the steering.

If it is a rack steering system that would be a 4 turn system.

See below for how to check for free play in a cable steering system. Note tilt steering can add about ½ inch to the play -

Start out by centering your engine or rudder.

Then put your hand on the top dead center of your steering wheel.

Then look at the engine end of the steering cable (with it disconnected from the engine)

Move your hand in one direction (ONLY) and stop when the engine end of the cable starts to move.

1.                      2.

Start out by centering your engine or rudder.

Then put your hand on the top dead center of your steering wheel.

Then look at the engine end of the steering cable (with it disconnected from the engine)

Move your hand in one direction (ONLY) and stop when the engine end of the cable starts to move.

Arrow 1 is top dead center arrow two would be where your hand stops.

Between the arrows should be 2 inches or less on a 3 turn steering system. 4 turn systems could have up to 3 inches, if it is more you need a new helm.

This is on a 14 inch steering wheel if you have a larger wheel your hand will move farther.

Not doing the proper maintenance on the steering cable can add to free play in your steering system

This should be done twice a year on all boats.

The only maintenance on a cable steering system is back at the engine or rudder.
You need to remove the link arm from the very end of the steering cables telescoping rod.
Then undo the large nut at the end of the plastic jacket of the steering cable.
Then pull plastic jacket of the cable towards the side of the boat exposing the 5/8 telescoping rod.
Clean off the rod clean out the support tube and re grease it with a, 

WATER PROOF MARINE GREASE.

Then re assemble the system to the way it was set up. Make sure to screw the nut on the plastic jacket down until it bottoms out. It is a lock nut and will feel tight before bottoming out

To do the maintenance on an inboard boat you will have to undo the nut on the steering cable that screws onto the Support tube (G) Then undo the link arm like item (H)  then pull the cable by the plastic jacket towards the side of the boat removing it completely from the support tube (G)

Then clean and grease the cable and support tube and reassemble making sure to tighten the lock nut onto the support tube until it bottoms out.

Use a good water proof marine grease.

Do this maintenance at least twice a year

Thanks

Jim

Jim Corday
Tech Support Rep II

Phone +1 610-495-7011 
Jim.Corday@dometic.com

Dometic, 640 N Lewis Rd, Limerick, PA, 19468, United States

dometic.com

seastarsolutions.com 

338c47a2ce085fdc50b810927bfbd02d.png