Sign in to follow this  
Cpski

Engine cuts out

I have a 1995 Chapparral 1930 that cuts out at sustained speed of over 3800 rpms.  What might be causing the problem.   I've already replaced the fuel pump, distributor, fuel filter, and water separator filter.

Any ideas.

Mark

I recently had a similar problem with intermittent loss of power and all the mechanics were backed up 3 weeks so I when through all the trouble shooting steps myself and ultimately found is was just bad fuel.  Ended up using some fittings to connect a clear hose to my fuel line and pumped out all the fuel with a $15 transfer pump run by drill.  Flushed the tank with 3 gallons of new fuel and put on new $8 filter. The boat ran like crap for about 10 minutes until all the old fuel in the lines between filter and injectors got used then ran perfectly...problem solved.  I talked to 4 mechanics while searching for one that could get work done in a week, most suspected the fuel pump (major repair since engine has to be pulled) or ignition problems and none suggested bad fuel.  I always buy ethanol-free fuel (except at marines where you don't always know), use stabilizer over winter and use Sea-foam fuel additive at times.  Live and learn.

I hook up an external 3 or 6 gallon fuel tank to eliminate most of the fuel system. I also hook up a timing light to either one of the plug wires or to the distributor wire. The timing light will continue to flash if it is a fuel problem and will stop flashing if it is an ignition problem. I troubleshoot from that point. Hope that gives you some direction.