Sign in to follow this  
Mr Twister

Did Chaparral quit making the H20 ?

7 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

Someone is defensive......   Run the boat that works for you.. We spend a LOT of time chillin' and grillin' on our swim deck for happy hour so an outboard is not for us. But I have no problem with people running them.. 

Exactly I’m in salt water a lot so a I/O doesn’t work for me. But there is no way and I/O more reliable that’s the argument I’m making. But you are right to each there own. I just like not having the headaches that come along the I/O 

1 hour ago, Maxrider said:

You have lost your mind if you think a mercruisers and VP are more reliable than Yamaha outboards. Comparing an outboard and a I/O to a supertanker. That’s a great comparison lol 

I think you’re confusing reliability with maintenance requirements. I/Os require more maintenance and become unreliable when it’s not performed.  I spend a little time and money on mine for maintenance during the off season and have no issues. My boat always starts, always takes us out, and brings us home.  Of course it will break down on the next time out now that I said that lol

I boat in brackish water and flush after each use. Just like I did with my outboards. 

28 minutes ago, dan02gt said:

I think you’re confusing reliability with maintenance requirements. I/Os require more maintenance and become unreliable when it’s not performed.  I spend a little time and money on mine for maintenance during the off season and have no issues. My boat always starts, always takes us out, and brings us home.  Of course it will break down on the next time out now that I said that lol

I boat in brackish water and flush after each use. Just like I did with my outboards. 

And that might be exactly true. But 90% of boaters don’t do what you are doing and it tells on the I/o’s. 

All Yamaha O B lovers.  & none Yamaha boaters.

Go on the web and search       Corrosion issues on Yamaha  outboards    Should be helpful on a used boat with a  Yamaha. Open the site called .    The hull truth 

Their is 1 photograph that is unreal of salt water & Aluminum.

4 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

All Yamaha O B lovers.  & none Yamaha boaters.

Go on the web and search       Corrosion issues on Yamaha  outboards    Should be helpful on a used boat with a  Yamaha. Open the site called .    The hull truth 

Their is 1 photograph that is unreal of salt water & Aluminum.

Dude I own one all of use down here own them. I don’t have to search the web to know they are great engines. I see it first hand everyday here. we change oil every season and water pump impeller every three years That’s it no problems f150’s f200’s and f300’s all over the place with 5000+ hrs on them. 

54 minutes ago, Maxrider said:

And that might be exactly true. But 90% of boaters don’t do what you are doing and it tells on the I/o’s. 

You are correct. Most people run whatever boat they have right into the ground and then complain that it’s junk. 

Aluminum & salt water is not the best combination.  When used in high heat combustion chambers & exhaust stacks of a outboard. 

6 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

Aluminum & salt water is not the best combination.  When used in high heat combustion chambers & exhaust stacks of a outboard. 

I guess that’s why manifolds and risers have to be replaced on the inboards every three to four years In salt water and never on these outboards for the life of the engines. Lmao try again fellow. 

3 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

You are Full of Yamaha B S.

You do realize the Yamaha outboards are built to be in a salt water environment right? They have anodes all in the exhaust side. Every good dealer that sells both outboards and I/O boats will tell you it’s better to not put the I/O in salt water. If you do get ready to change manifolds  and risers in a few years. I have have both nothing but trouble out of the I/o never again for me. If you have a good one you are a lucky man. 

15 minutes ago, Clemson Chap said:

Ever hear of closed cooling systems for the I/O?    Makes salt water use worry free. 

Still goes in your exhaust. Try again buddy 

8 minutes ago, Clemson Chap said:

Ever hear of closed cooling systems for the I/O?    Makes salt water use worry free. 

My Volvo is not closed cooling,  but the manifolds are aluminum. Even a cast iron raw water cooled I/O can last a very long time in salt water if it’s flushed properly and the manifolds are changed when required. 

Maxrider likes his outboard and good for him. He has lots of reasons to. I hope it gives him many years of trouble free performance.  I have no problem with my I/O and would prefer to stick with one as long as I own a “family” boat. 

Max why don’t you throw a 6” hydraulic jack plate on that thing and a Tempest Plus prop and see if you can get it in the mid 60s. I would love to see a Chap blasting by throwing a rooster tail 6-8’ in the air. 

24 minutes ago, dan02gt said:

My Volvo is not closed cooling,  but the manifolds are aluminum. Even a cast iron raw water cooled I/O can last a very long time in salt water if it’s flushed properly and the manifolds are changed when required. 

Maxrider likes his outboard and good for him. He has lots of reasons to. I hope it gives him many years of trouble free performance.  I have no problem with my I/O and would prefer to stick with one as long as I own a “family” boat. 

Max why don’t you throw a 6” hydraulic jack plate on that thing and a Tempest Plus prop and see if you can get it in the mid 60s. I would love to see a Chap blasting by throwing a rooster tail 6-8’ in the air. 

Man I’m trying to talk my wife into letting me put the Nizpro Marine 332hp tune in it. I took her up to 58mph a few weeks ago a scared her to death so I’m have a tough time now. It has been 59mph on gps with me in it with 3/4 tank of gas. I think the tune and the right prop it would see mid 60’s 

10 hours ago, Maxrider said:

Man I’m trying to talk my wife into letting me put the Nizpro Marine 332hp tune in it. I took her up to 58mph a few weeks ago a scared her to death so I’m have a tough time now. It has been 59mph on gps with me in it with 3/4 tank of gas. I think the tune and the right prop it would see mid 60’s 

How does the hull run at those speeds?  Any chine walk?  I've driven padded V bass boats well into the 70s and they can be a handful,  but never a bow rider.  My old Nitro 18 fish and ski would do 58 with a 150 Optimax on the back.  I was able to get 6 MPH out of it by adding a 6" jack plate to tweak the motor height and a good prop.

If it blows the power head with that tune Yamaha might not warranty it.  I had a Simon Performance tune and lighted flywheel on my Optimax and it made a noticeable difference,  but that motor didn't have a warranty.  

1 hour ago, dan02gt said:

How does the hull run at those speeds?  Any chine walk?  I've driven padded V bass boats well into the 70s and they can be a handful,  but never a bow rider.  My old Nitro 18 fish and ski would do 58 with a 150 Optimax on the back.  I was able to get 6 MPH out of it by adding a 6" jack plate to tweak the motor height and a good prop.

If it blows the power head with that tune Yamaha might not warranty it.  I had a Simon Performance tune and lighted flywheel on my Optimax and it made a noticeable difference,  but that motor didn't have a warranty.  

Yea I have the 6 year warranty so I have to wait. But it handles good at 59mph