SST

Battling the wind and waves last night

The weather was nice most of the day yesterday.  I anchored out in Lake Erie for a few hours and then headed up the Niagara River to North Tonawanda for dinner.  The forecast called for changing winds in the evening but no rain or thunderstorms until the following morning.  After dinner, I didn't really want to leave so I walked around for a short while. I then check the winds at the Buffalo Coast Guard station and jumped. Being so relaxed I forgot about the wind change.....it had shifted from calm to south @ 15kts. That's gonna be a bumpy ride for me.  I scramble back to the boat and got underway. The ride up the river was pretty smooth as there was little traffic. But as I passed the Peace Bridge, boy did it change!

The waves had increased more than usual in this area so I slowed down a bit. Came upon the green buoy [EU7] and made the left turn towards the outer harbor. Straight into the wind and waves. This is like the videos of Haulover Beach inlet. The spray coming over the bow was so heavy that the green/red navigation light was lighting up the spray as it came over the railings [Did I ever mention I love my cuddy!] Finally getting inside the breakwalls everything calmed down and I headed into the inner harbor to take a break before heading back to the slip.

While in the inner harbor I was just taking in the sites. As I'm looking at our navy ships I get a photo op idea.  I swing the boat up along side the ship USS Little Rock. I let the wind swing me around as I wait for the perfect spot. I took several pictures trying to capture my flag in the breeze. Here is the result from a iPhone 5c. Not bad for an old phone.

image1-2.jpg 

5 hours ago, SST said:

The weather was nice most of the day yesterday.  I anchored out in Lake Erie for a few hours and then headed up the Niagara River to North Tonawanda for dinner.  The forecast called for changing winds in the evening but no rain or thunderstorms until the following morning.  After dinner, I didn't really want to leave so I walked around for a short while. I then check the winds at the Buffalo Coast Guard station and jumped. Being so relaxed I forgot about the wind change.....it had shifted from calm to south @ 15kts. That's gonna be a bumpy ride for me.  I scramble back to the boat and got underway. The ride up the river was pretty smooth as there was little traffic. But as I passed the Peace Bridge, boy did it change!

The waves had increased more than usual in this area so I slowed down a bit. Came upon the green buoy [EU7] and made the left turn towards the outer harbor. Straight into the wind and waves. This is like the videos of Haulover Beach inlet. The spray coming over the bow was so heavy that the green/red navigation light was lighting up the spray as it came over the railings [Did I ever mention I love my cuddy!] Finally getting inside the breakwalls everything calmed down and I headed into the inner harbor to take a break before heading back to the slip.

While in the inner harbor I was just taking in the sites. As I'm looking at our navy ships I get a photo op idea.  I swing the boat up along side the ship USS Little Rock. I let the wind swing me around as I wait for the perfect spot. I took several pictures trying to capture my flag in the breeze. Here is the result from a iPhone 5c. Not bad for an old phone.

image1-2.jpg 

Nice, thanks for sharing. 

Always love true life adventures, brings up memories of some that I have had, on Lake Erie.  Denny.

We didn't get to the boat until later in the day.  We heard the weather and decided to just stay in the slip last night.  Glad everything worked out for you in the way back!  

Why it is mandatory to have a PERFECT BOW  cover made of Sunbrella on all bow riders.  I have taken a wave that rolled all the way up to about 3 inches from the top Aluminum of the windshield.  Freighter wake Sunamied suddenly at the channel edge.

2002 186 SSI. That was exciting for wife and me.  Thank goodness for the sturdy wraparound 1 piece side & front windshield.  NO water came into the boat. 

Always have a spare set of underwear in the boat.  In the excitement.  I forgot to sound the DIVE horn.

I was actually having a little fun with the challenge of getting through the waves and spray. Due to the short distance between the green buoy and the outer harbor, I knew that the waves wouldn't overwhelm the boat. So the spray didn't bother me. But, if the waves were to actually come over the bow.....That would likely be a different story.