Sign in to follow this  
Dan Ziolkowski

19 SSI Outboard

I don’t but I’m sure you would be happy with it. The Yamaha 150 is bulletproof and Chaparral makes a good boat. Where do you plan on using it. 

Mostly Wisconsin lakes, maybe the occasional trip out of state. We have a fairly large family, 5 kids ranging from 4yrs old to the oldest being 18. Our last boat was an old Regal 176 with a 4.3L Merc. I liked the power but it was unreliable for us. I really want to try the Yamaha outboard but just want to make sure we have enough power to ski, tube and wakeboard with the whole family of 7 on board. 

It will probably do it but that boat is going to be small for 7 people. If you can swing it step up to the 21 SSI. Also consider the I/O you can get it in 250HP on the 21 vs being stuck with the 4 cylinder Yamahas.  Chaparral doesn’t offer the V6 Yamahas on anything less than the 23 SSI. It will really clean up your transom for water sports and family fun.  A new properly maintained I/O can give many years of reliable service. 

Those kids WILL get bigger & heavier. And  EAT a lot more. Bigger water & food coolers.  add in a kids best friend ?

My 2002 186 SSI ( no swim platform ) with the 5.0  220 hp V8 easily does 7 over 210 pound seniors .  It planes in 3 seconds like that. With the take off prop.

BUUTT    THere is almost NO ROOM with the picnic cooler on the floor.  Boat is wide at 8 1/2 ' .

Hey thanks for the replies and input. I'm really looking to try and get answers on the performance of the 150hp Yamaha on the 19' boat. We are jumping up from a  1992 Regal 17'6" 4.3L boat so the 19ssi with outboard has more interior space and storage then we are used to. Boating for us is a way to get the family together so we don't mind being close together in the boat, I just don't want it to be a dog. As far as the transom, I love the look of a shiny outboard out back and Chaparral O/B has a pretty cool ski tow that gives the rider a little higher tow point than the transom connection on the I/O. "Being Stuck with the 4cyl Yamahas", will the 19ssi be under powered with the Yamaha F150 out back? Compared to the 4.5L? 

I've seen reviews of the 19SSi with the 115hp and I would think that the 150hp would be incrementally better. 150 hp is the max HP that Chaparral allows on that boat. I wonder why they allow a 200hp I/O and only a 150hp O/B?

I also am considering the 21 as well, never can have too much boat or motor. Of course everything has trade offs, towing, storage, $$$. 

thx,

While I really can't find any published information to back it up, I suspect that the Mercruiser checking in a 4.5L will provide more torque down low than the 2.8L Yamaha.  With the right prop that would make it better for water sports.

The 150 Yamaha is a dang good motor though and a strong one for a 150.  I think it will work for you.  You will need to prop it correctly though.

I regularly have 4 adults and 4 kids under 11 on my 22' boat, but couldn't image having thay many people on my old 19' boat.  I would highly recommend stepping up to at least the 21' if you can.  It will make things much more fun.     

Test ride time !!!

With ALL the people. AND 1 or 2 coolers loaded with ice. 

RIDE TIME.  There is no other way with that many people all the time.

THe difference is the WEIGHT of each . AND where the motor is mounted. 1 inside  good balance & strength. Other is PAST THE transom & pulls the stern down deeper.

On 9/20/2020 at 7:20 AM, cyclops2 said:

My 2002 186 SSI ( no swim platform ) with the 5.0  220 hp V8 easily does 7 over 210 pound seniors .  It planes in 3 seconds like that. With the take off prop.

That's over 1400 pounds. You must be dangerously close to your max capacity.  :o

Our feet did not get wet.   :D

It is USCG rated for 10 ... 134 pound people.  The 2 ladies were light weights.  Plenty of freeboard during the 4 ' waves of a surprise squall.  The Chap hull is outstanding when you need a good hull. Unexpectedly.    :wub:

21 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

Our feet did not get wet.   :D

That's not the part you have to worry about.  :rolleyes:

Test drives are super hard to come by especially with the 20hour break in period on these new motors. Can't really put them through their paces right away. I was kind of hoping to find someone through this forum that had one of the combinations that we are considering and talk to them or go for a ride all loaded up. I think I would like the torque and sound of the 4.5L but the storage and easier access of the Yamaha. I don't like the idea of bellows, gimbal bearings, motor couplers and those extra parts and holes in the boat. But it seams like most people deal with them as part of the boating experience. The dealer said that if we went to the 21' O/B he would recommend going with the Mercury 200 because it is a V6.

You could do the test ride with a salesman. I never followed any break in procedures for the last 40 years. Cars or boats. All are perfect. 

The sales men wanted a SALE .  Their choice. It will not destroy the engine for a minute to reach top speed with a load of people and  GPS in your hand & to hear how loud the motor is at WOT .

BIG mistake to buy NEW . And later find out it is a noisy slow boat.   You have the money. They get it on YOUR TERMS.  Take it or leave it.