Jump to content
boweryboy

Avoid Volvo Penta GM motors!! Can not get it repaired

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

I currently own a 2014 Chaparral 277SSX with a Volvo Penta 380 (6.0L) and recently had a catastrophic engine failure after only 250 hours of operations. The motor just quite running while cruising at 25 mph and then wouldn't even crank. It looks like something internal failed in the lower end.

After bringing the boat back to the dealer I purchased it from, I was informed that Volvo Penta recommends replacing the power unit and will only sell me the entire PU which includes all the accessories and outdrive for a whopping $38K!!! I begged the marina to beg Volvo Penta to sell me a long block only but I was told Volvo Penta discontinued the 6.0L and the only certified repair that Volvo Penta would stand behind is a total repower and a $38K price tag. I have called several Volvo Penta authorized marine engine suppliers and they all confirmed that Volvo Penta will not sell a motor only or long block replacement for the 380 or 430's and will only sell the complete PU.

This is absurd! Any other IO like Mercury's would be a $5K long block replacement. Has anyone experienced this craziness?

I will never buy another Volvo Penta product and caution anyone considering the Volvo Penta over a Mercury IO to consider the repair and replacement risk with Volvo Penta!

 

 

Bill

Edited by boweryboy
error in typing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill,

Sorry this happened to you!!  What you are being told is funny and even ridiculous.  Why do you need a Volvo Penta long block?  Why does it need to be Volvo Penta Authorized if it's not under warranty?  It's a Chevy!  Call these guys and get a new long block for ~$5200. Oh and find a new mechanic. 

Michigan Motorz 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Dan,

I have contacted them and several others and still need to get the casting number on my block and heads to make sure I get the right replacement engine. It is crazy that the Chaparral dealer which has a full service marina including an extensive mechanic team is only willing to do a $40K "plug and play" repair on a $100+ boat they sold me.

This is a blemish on my marina, Chaparral and Volvo Penta as they can't figure out a less then $40K repair solution between the three of them when in a few searches I (and you) came up a something that will cost lest then 1/4 of the price all in.

I will now and forever stay away from Volvo Penta and possibly Chaparral.

Ps. I have calls and cases open with VolvoPenta and Chaparral customer response and will keep people posted on their response and recommendations.

 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one that thinks if the boat were still under warranty Volvo wouldn’t be “recommending” that full replacement?  They’d rebuild the existing engine most likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Money is scarce . Even at the superior Volvo Marine .  Buy a Crate engine from any major auto place they have 1 to 3 year warranties on non racing engines. AS stated . It is a Chevrolet engine . Just pick one that all your parts will bolt onto .  Does Mercruiser offer a long block that is identical ?  They probably do.

Call Mercruiser  for a replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, boweryboy said:

Thanks Dan,

I have contacted them and several others and still need to get the casting number on my block and heads to make sure I get the right replacement engine. It is crazy that the Chaparral dealer which has a full service marina including an extensive mechanic team is only willing to do a $40K "plug and play" repair on a $100+ boat they sold me.

This is a blemish on my marina, Chaparral and Volvo Penta as they can't figure out a less then $40K repair solution between the three of them when in a few searches I (and you) came up a something that will cost lest then 1/4 of the price all in.

I will now and forever stay away from Volvo Penta and possibly Chaparral.

Ps. I have calls and cases open with VolvoPenta and Chaparral customer response and will keep people posted on their response and recommendations.

 

Bill

Your issue with off the shelf crate engine availability will be that the LS Gen 5 has just not been around very long. When the 496/8.1 GM truck engine went out of production, both Merc and Volvo needed a replacement for both their 375 and 425 HP offerings. Merc built their own from aftermarket parts using a cast iron block from World Products, and Edelbrook aluminum heads. The new 502/8.2 was born and was offered in both 380, and 430 hp configurations. Volvo chose to use the new all aluminum 6 bolt main GM small block. Lighter, available directly from GM, and with variable valve timing, easier on fuel. The problem is you have to twist the thing over 6 grand to get the power out of it. Longevity was always a question mark for me, but time will tell. As far as a replacement goes for your ride, forget Merc as they never used an LS platform. Also, most marine replacements offered are based off the Vortec GM small blocks, for about 5 grand new, but again they won't fit your ride. LS replacement are out there for 8 grand but they are not marineized, and use the LSX cast iron block. You will need an LS Gen 5 all aluminum with marine camshaft and should expect to pay around 10 grand for a crate motor if you go all aluminum. A 6.0 with an iron block and aluminum heads can be had for 6.     I'd like to pull your old one apart and see what failed. Could be you could save it.     W

http://marinepowerusa.com/engines/base-engine/

https://www.michiganmotorz.com/base-marine-engine-p-11416.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the two upper post. 

 

I can't see why that engine or drive can not be rebuilt. That said, I have twin 4.3L engines and that run great after 300hrs and 9 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ramoszx12r@comcast.net said:

Main thing is to fine out what was the problem. So it will no happen to the new engine.

+1, seems like a bizarre failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would recommend contacting Jasper Engines at (800) 827-7455.  I have been able to get remanufactured longblocks from them for Volvo Penta products using the specification number on the block or cowling tag pretty easily and they have a good warranty.  They may even be able to recommend a dealer in your area to work with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Volvo rates VERY low in my book on this problem.  

They are probably going to a re builder like Jasper & marking up the price outrageously.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Maxrider said:

#%^$&%$ glad I got an outboard!!!

Come on Max!  Must you troll evey thread like this?  I get it. You love your outboard and for good reason!
Have you priced a power head for your SHO?   Have you priced what a replacement 250 SHO costs?  Not for the faint of heart and not easy to rebuild.  I know you think it bullet proof,  but spend time on thehulltruth or bassboatcentral and you’ll see people having issues with them too.   The bass boat guys used to pop SHO powerheads on the regular.  

OP has a very uncommon issue and could take his Chevy LS based 6.0 to machine shop have have it fixed very reasonably.  The mechanic/marina is not offering him good solutions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, dan02gt said:

Come on Max!  Must you troll evey thread like this?  I get it. You love your outboard and for good reason!
Have you priced a power head for your SHO?   Have you priced what a replacement 250 SHO costs?  Not for the faint of heart and not easy to rebuild.  I know you think it bullet proof,  but spend time on thehulltruth or bassboatcentral and you’ll see people having issues with them too.   The bass boat guys used to pop SHO powerheads on the regular.  

OP has a very uncommon issue and could take his Chevy LS based 6.0 to machine shop have have it fixed very reasonably.  The mechanic/marina is not offering him good solutions. 

I see these post everyday on these I/o platforms it’s common. And do you realize there is probably 20+ outboard boats To every I/o? And yes I looked on hulltruth. And to popping power heads that was old two stroke days times have changed.  Not many engine failures that I seen. Blows my mind people keep buying these I/o’s it’s one problem after another on every forum/ boat page there is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chap243 said:

Can your current block not be rebuilt? I`d look into that route.

Exactly what I would do. It’s just an Ls engine rebuild it for cheap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Maxrider said:

#%^$&%$ glad I got an outboard!!!

Troll.......   We know, you like outboards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just dropped by my truck dealer.  I asked the service manager about converting under the hood area for storage and strapping an outboard on the tailgate.  Why would anyone settle for less? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Volvo rates VERY low in my book on this problem.  

They are probably going to a re builder like Jasper & marking up the price outrageously.   

 

Look i get it,  but Volvo is a Gen v engine which is a very good one. They sale millions of them. Mercury use them for a rezone, for long time. Any engine that is not maintained properly will breakdown soon or later. Even good race engine builder with the best parts breakdown , it is just the way it is. The good thing about GM engines is you can build them cheap and bigger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Maxrider said:

#%^$&%$ glad I got an outboard!!!

Out boards have there own problems. There are pluses and minuses to everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...