boweryboy

Avoid Volvo Penta GM motors!! Can not get it repaired

46 minutes ago, Maxrider said:

Mine isn’t always in the shop. Just sayin. And I don’t see any threads saying avoid an outboard Kmsl. 

A question for you. Have you ever owned an IO?

6 hours ago, Maxrider said:

I see these post everyday on these I/o platforms it’s common. And do you realize there is probably 20+ outboard boats To every I/o? And yes I looked on hulltruth. And to popping power heads that was old two stroke days times have changed.  Not many engine failures that I seen. Blows my mind people keep buying these I/o’s it’s one problem after another on every forum/ boat page there is. 

:slap: 

Do you know how rare internal engine failure is on an inboard engine? It is almost unheard of unless there was a blown head gasket due to overheating (i.e. bad owner who didnt change the impeller, thermostat), a catastrophic oil leak, or an exhaust leak into the engine (again, bad owner).

Outboards are absolutely much more prone to internal engine failure as they have much smaller components that run at a much higher rpm. On THT, people have issues with every engine platform imaginable including venerable Yamaha outboard. Of course on this forum people have more issues with i/o platforms as 99.9% of the boats Chaparral has ever built have an i/o! For aesthetic reasons as well as the functionality of a clean transom, most sport boats have had i/os, but that is changing because new outboard are great, while emission standards and supply issues are making i/os less cost effective. 

I have had seven boats with all inboard and all around 20 years old. Never have had an issue once I have gone through the motor and replaced wear parts. The engines and drives are fairly bulletproof. The weak link is the exhaust, but it is only weak if you dont maintain it. Certain Yamaha outboard are also notorious for corrosion issues if the owner doesn't flush them out after usage in salt water.

1 hour ago, Maxrider said:

Mine isn’t always in the shop. Just sayin. And I don’t see any threads saying avoid an outboard Kmsl. 

Isn't your boat new?  What do you have like 20 hours on it? 

I ran my 1st I/O that I bought new for 5 years and never did anything but oil changes, drive oil changes, fuel filter changes, 1 distributor cap replacement, 1 impeller change, and lubing the coupler.  Outside of the distributor cap and lubing the coupler the rest is stuff you would do to a outboard also.  My second and current I/O I bought used and has needed nothing but regular maintenance along with a idler pulley (noisy bearing) and thermostat.  Total cost was less than $60 to fix those 2 things and about 15 minutes each.  Neither issue kept me from using my boat.  So by that logic I/Os are bullet proof.  

I see very few threads about newer I/Os having issues,  and the ones I do see are something minor. 

The I/Os I see with major issues are the 10-15 year old boats that someone got a sweet deal on off of Craigslist.  They've never had any maintenance done other than a oil change every 3 years rather in needed it or not.  Was used in salt water and never flushed, but it was a #$^% of a deal.

From bbcboards.net

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=852214

38 replies with 6 SHOs needing new powerheads before 500 hours,  but I'm sure you have a come back for that.  Let me guess.  It's because they have the early models, or no it's because Yamaha sells millions of them so a few are going to have issues.  Or maybe it's because the first SHOs had a thrust bearing defect that was so bad Yamaha had to replace the power heads.  Just like Yamaha has to replace the flywheels on the 350HP every 300 hours so they don't grenade.  Make sure you break it in correctly so it doesn't start making oil.  I'm sure you don't think that's a issue either even though it's well documented.  

So why don't you start a thread a tell us about your I/Os and all the problems you had with them.  I think we would like to know the age the power packages, the number of hours on them, the maintenance schedule, and what issues you had.  It would be very informative for us I/O owners to know the issues we might face,  and also much more useful than trolling other's threads.

31 minutes ago, dan02gt said:

I ran my 1st I/O that I bought new for 5 years and never did anything but oil changes, drive oil changes, fuel filter changes, 1 distributor cap replacement, 1 impeller change, and lubing the coupler.  Outside of the distributor cap and lubing the coupler the rest is stuff you would do to a outboard also.  My second and current I/O I bought used and has needed nothing but regular maintenance along with a idler pulley (noisy bearing) and thermostat.  Total cost was less than $60 to fix those 2 things and about 15 minutes each.  Neither issue kept me from using my boat.  So by that logic I/Os are bullet proof.  

I see very few threads about newer I/Os having issues,  and the ones I do see are something minor. 

The I/Os I see with major issues are the 10-15 year old boats that someone got a sweet deal on off of Craigslist.  They've never had any maintenance done other than a oil change every 3 years rather in needed it or not.  Was used in salt water and never flushed, but it was a #$^% of a deal.

From bbcboards.net

38 replies with 6 SHOs needing new powerheads before 500 hours,  but I'm sure you have a come back for that.  Let me guess.  It's because they have the early models, or no it's because Yamaha sells millions of them so a few are going to have issues.  Or maybe it's because the first SHOs had a thrust bearing defect that was so bad Yamaha had to replace the power heads.  Just like Yamaha has to replace the flywheels on the 350HP every 300 hours so they don't grenade.  Make sure you break it in correctly so it doesn't start making oil.  I'm sure you don't think that's a issue either even though it's well documented.  

So why don't you start a thread a tell us about your I/Os and all the problems you had with them.  I think we would like to know the age the power packages, the number of hours on them, the maintenance schedule, and what issues you had.  It would be very informative for us I/O owners to know the issues we might face,  and also much more useful than trolling other's threads.

I talked with a Yammy dealer at the New York boat show who said they under fill the 250/6 cylinder Yamaha's by a half quart so that customers will not complain when they start to see the dipstick over full. They call it oiling, and I call it gasoline in the crankcase.     W

3 hours ago, Wingnut said:

A question for you. Have you ever owned an IO?

Yep had one with a Mercruiser 5.0 in it. Biggest pos ever. 

1 hour ago, dan02gt said:

From bbcboards.net

My boat has 60 hrs on it now. I have a ton of friends with fishing boats that have 2000+ hrs on there’s with zero problems. And When the 4.2 v6’s came out in 2010 they had a few issues. But ten years later they are pretty #%^$&%$ solid!! 

1 hour ago, Wingnut said:

I talked with a Yammy dealer at the New York boat show who said they under fill the 250/6 cylinder Yamaha's by a half quart so that customers will not complain when they start to see the dipstick over full. They call it oiling, and I call it gasoline in the crankcase.     W

60hrs on mine on the full mark everytime. Guess I’m lucky. Lol 

9 minutes ago, Maxrider said:

Yep had one with a Mercruiser 5.0 in it. Biggest pos ever. 

Ok details please. 
How old was it?

Did you buy it new?

How many hours were on it?

What issues did you have with it?

18 minutes ago, Maxrider said:

My boat has 60 hrs on it now. I have a ton of friends with fishing boats that have 2000+ hrs on there’s with zero problems. And When the 4.2 v6’s came out in 2010 they had a few issues. But ten years later they are pretty #%^$&%$ solid!! 

While I know there are tons of outboards out there with high hours on the original power head and lower unit,  I highly doubt any of those have racked up all those hours without so much as a failed sensor, fuel pump, or injector. But it’s your story tell it like you want. 

24 minutes ago, dan02gt said:

Ok details please. 
How old was it?

Did you buy it new?

How many hours were on it?

What issues did you have with it?

Carb and fuel pump the thing wouldn’t crank half the time or idle. Worked on it every other weekend. And it was in fresh water. I/o is out of the question for us now as we do 90% of our boating in saltwater. 

9 minutes ago, dan02gt said:

While I know there are tons of outboards out there with high hours on the original power head and lower unit,  I highly doubt any of those have racked up all those hours without so much as a failed sensor, fuel pump, or injector. But it’s your story tell it like you want. 

Believe what you want but it happens all the time. There is probably 20x more outboards out there also 

3 hours ago, drewm3i said:

:slap: 

Do you know how rare internal engine failure is on an inboard engine? It is almost unheard of unless there was a blown head gasket due to overheating (i.e. bad owner who didnt change the impeller, thermostat), a catastrophic oil leak, or an exhaust leak into the engine (again, bad owner).

Outboards are absolutely much more prone to internal engine failure as they have much smaller components that run at a much higher rpm. On THT, people have issues with every engine platform imaginable including venerable Yamaha outboard. Of course on this forum people have more issues with i/o platforms as 99.9% of the boats Chaparral has ever built have an i/o! For aesthetic reasons as well as the functionality of a clean transom, most sport boats have had i/os, but that is changing because new outboard are great, while emission standards and supply issues are making i/os less cost effective. 

I have had seven boats with all inboard and all around 20 years old. Never have had an issue once I have gone through the motor and replaced wear parts. The engines and drives are fairly bulletproof. The weak link is the exhaust, but it is only weak if you dont maintain it. Certain Yamaha outboard are also notorious for corrosion issues if the owner doesn't flush them out after usage in salt water.

Well said.  Max doesn’t care though. He had a MerCruiser 5.0 that was a total POS.

1 minute ago, Maxrider said:

Carb and fuel pump the thing wouldn’t crank half the time or idle. Worked on it every other weekend. 

Lol Ok so all your I/O hate is based on a engine with 100 year old technology.  Have you ever owned a carb outboard?  Done a link and sync? We owned tons of carb outboards and they were all finicky as #$^%.

They haven’t made a carb I/O since it was mandated by the EPA in 2012.  #$^% I‘m with you wouldn’t own a carb I/O either. 

8 minutes ago, dan02gt said:

Lol Ok so all your I/O hate is based on a engine with 100 year old technology.  Have you ever owned a carb outboard?  Done a link and sync? We owned tons of carb outboards and they were all finicky as #$^%.

They haven’t made a carb I/O since it was mandated by the EPA in 2012.  #$^% I‘m with you wouldn’t own a carb I/O either. 

Now, now I have only ever had carbed i/os and never an issue once the ancient fuel pumps were replaced. I also did have one carb rebuilt for a whopping $100 and then it ran great for 150 hours until I sold it. It seems many of the issues on here are from sensors going bad on MPI motors...I would run a carb or MPI...both need maintenance.

21 minutes ago, Maxrider said:

Carb and fuel pump the thing wouldn’t crank half the time or idle. Worked on it every other weekend. And it was in fresh water. I/o is out of the question for us now as we do 90% of our boating in saltwater. 

Sounds like the owner was the problem...and I have run I/Os in salt my whole life and will continue to do so. The only extra maintenance they require is a good flush each time out, which should be done to outboards as well. Everyone I know with outboards flushes them after each trip...and what do you know? None of us ever have any issues once we go through our boats and get them up to speed!

15 minutes ago, drewm3i said:

Now, now I have only ever had carbed i/os and never an issue once the ancient fuel pumps were replaced. I also did have one carb rebuilt for a whopping $100 and then it ran great for 150 hours until I sold it. It seems many of the issues on here are from sensors going bad on MPI motors...I would run a carb or MPI...both need maintenance.

Oh I know people love their carbs and with good reason. I’m a EFI fan though. 

9 minutes ago, dan02gt said:

Oh I know people love their carbs and with good reason. I’m a EFI fan though. 

I am fine with either...both can and do work well.

35 minutes ago, drewm3i said:

Sounds like the owner was the problem...and I have run I/Os in salt my whole life and will continue to do so. The only extra maintenance they require is a good flush each time out, which should be done to outboards as well. Everyone I know with outboards flushes them after each trip...and what do you know? None of us ever have any issues once we go through our boats and get them up to speed!

Always flush my engine after every use. So did a friend of mine with his I/o but still had to replace manifolds and risers on a 2016 boat. You guys are lucky or lying one of the two about your I/o’s. People at boat ramps every weekend down here working on those things. If you are having good luck with them my hats off to you. 

9 minutes ago, Maxrider said:

Always flush my engine after every use. So did a friend of mine with his I/o but still had to replace manifolds and risers on a 2016 boat. You guys are lucky or lying one of the two about your I/o’s. People at boat ramps every weekend down here working on those things. If you are having good luck with them my hats off to you. 

If you’re in salt 5-6 years is about what you get out of cast iron manifolds.  Sucks but you should know that and plan accordingly.  If you don’t want to do that give up your clean transom and buy a outboard. Newer Volvos are aluminum though just like a outboards exhaust system. 

I find most people don’t maintain their boats worth a #%^$&%$ and it goes to crap fast.  Boats just aren’t forgiving.   For instance I have a dual bank charger on board so my batteries are always topped off. My boat stays inside. So it doesn’t stay wet with water setting in the bilge (bad in my opinion with a I/O because of high moisture around the engine). 

I don’t care if it’s a I/O or outboard I do regular maintenance on it. If I think something might be a problem I replace it.  #$^% I had the injectors on my Optimax outboard cleaned and flow balanced just because I felt it was needed and the previous owner had it for 6 freaking years and couldn’t bother to change the fuel filter  

You’re right I see tons of old, ran hard, and put up wet I/Os giving issues. The only boat that I was ever stranded on was a Volvo I/O. It was a friend of a friends boat and the accessory belt broke. The guy didn’t maintain crap and the old belt should have been replaced years before that happened.  Outboards have belts too though.  

17 minutes ago, dan02gt said:

If you’re in salt 5-6 years is about what you get out of cast iron manifolds.  Sucks but you should know that and plan accordingly.  If you don’t want to do that give up your clean transom and buy a outboard. Newer Volvos are aluminum though just like a outboards exhaust system. 

I find most people don’t maintain their boats worth a #%^$&%$ and it goes to crap fast.  Boats just aren’t forgiving.   For instance I have a dual bank charger on board so my batteries are always topped off. My boat stays inside. So it doesn’t stay wet with water setting in the bilge (bad in my opinion with a I/O because of high moisture around the engine). 

I don’t care if it’s a I/O or outboard I do regular maintenance on it. If I think something might be a problem I replace it.  #$^% I had the injectors on my Optimax outboard cleaned and flow balanced just because I felt it was needed and the previous owner had it for 6 freaking years and couldn’t bother to change the fuel filter  

You’re right I see tons of old, ran hard, and put up wet I/Os giving issues. The only boat that I was ever stranded on was a Volvo I/O. It was a friend of a friends boat and the accessory belt broke. The guy didn’t maintain crap and the old belt should have been replaced years before that happened.  Outboards have belts too though.  

I agree with you it’s probably more people not taking care of them. I take really good care of my stuff. And yes I will also  agree the newer Volvo’s look better on paper for sure. 

10 minutes ago, Maxrider said:

I agree with you it’s probably more people not taking care of them. I take really good care of my stuff. And yes I will also  agree the newer Volvo’s look better on paper for sure. 

Yep I just hope my cats hold up. Thanks EPA.  I bet they try to force them on outboards in the not to distant future.