Jump to content
boweryboy

Avoid Volvo Penta GM motors!! Can not get it repaired

Recommended Posts

I dont really care. I just want my boat to sound like it has a big block and not have a big ugly monstrosity hanging off the back that sounds like a jet boat. They both break. To each their own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh boy.  I am in for it.

I have a Evinrude 1986  2 stroke of 28 hp. Carb. Magneto / capacitive discharge ignition. No battery needed 5 amp alternator.  ALL original parts. Including water pump.  I still have new in box spares for some of the engine.  It DID eat spark plugs at a fast rate if trolled for hours.  Oil fouled completely.  NGK & Auto Parts place ordered 1 heat range hotter plug.  I run for weeks 4 to 6 hours a day. Still on the same hotter plugs. I found out the carb is very temperature sensitive on idle mixture setting.

Point is.  It is bullet proof.  just do 50 to 1 ratio.   I doubt the newer improved super thin engines will ever equal  it. So yes. A old OB can possibly out live a I/O.

No one of us will ever know for sure.

The 2002 186 with Mercruiser 5.0 carb is still a virgin.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cyclops2 said:

Oh boy.  I am in for it.

I have a Evinrude 1986  2 stroke of 28 hp. Carb. Magneto / capacitive discharge ignition. No battery needed 5 amp alternator.  ALL original parts. Including water pump.  I still have new in box spares for some of the engine.  It DID eat spark plugs at a fast rate if trolled for hours.  Oil fouled completely.  NGK & Auto Parts place ordered 1 heat range hotter plug.  I run for weeks 4 to 6 hours a day. Still on the same hotter plugs. I found out the carb is very temperature sensitive on idle mixture setting.

Point is.  It is bullet proof.  just do 50 to 1 ratio.   I doubt the newer improved super thin engines will ever equal  it. So yes. A old OB can possibly out live a I/O.

No one of us will ever know for sure.

The 2002 186 with Mercruiser 5.0 carb is still a virgin.  

I love the old 2 stroke easy to repair last a long time.  I had a Yamaha 2 stroke jet boat with 2 1100 cc engine on it love that thing. The carb was a **** to work on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Maxrider said:

Carb and fuel pump the thing wouldn’t crank half the time or idle. Worked on it every other weekend. And it was in fresh water. I/o is out of the question for us now as we do 90% of our boating in saltwater. 

The small block Chevrolet is one the most successful engines ever designed. Millions have been produced since 1955. An ingeniously simple design it is the favorite of motor sports enthusiasts everywhere. Since you apparently lack the basic skills needed to keep one running right you look rather silly coming on this forum and dissing this engine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CKSNAP said:

The small block Chevrolet is one the most successful engines ever designed. Millions have been produced since 1955. An ingeniously simple design it is the favorite of motor sports enthusiasts everywhere. Since you apparently lack the basic skills needed to keep one running right you look rather silly coming on this forum and dissing this engine. 

Yea in cars and trucks. Lol they wasn’t designed to have water ran through them and run at 5k rpms for long periods of time. And you said it. You have to have skills to keep the pos running. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, 2004lebanshee said:

I dont really care. I just want my boat to sound like it has a big block and not have a big ugly monstrosity hanging off the back that sounds like a jet boat. They both break. To each their own. 

I can of like not hearing all that noise. Guess I’m getting old. Can’t hear the outboard running these days. Plus the sunsets look badass on that big v6 back there. 

C08F7AE3-132D-4B55-AB01-E03605214F74.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maxrider said:

Yea in cars and trucks. Lol they wasn’t designed to have water ran through them and run at 5k rpms for long periods of time. And you said it. You have to have skills to keep the pos running. 

That is simply not true...the sbc is far more reliable than any outboard engine will EVER be. It is made to cruise 3500 rpms all day. An outboard of similar HP rating will have to cruise 4500-5k rpms to achieve the same HP. Higher rpm= wear out faster. An inboard almost never wears out. Usually poor maintenance of the cooling system does them in. Outboard fail catastrophically far more, but this is less of an issue than it was 10 years ago 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maxrider said:

I can of like not hearing all that noise. Guess I’m getting old. Can’t hear the outboard running these days. Plus the sunsets look badass on that big v6 back there. 

C08F7AE3-132D-4B55-AB01-E03605214F74.jpeg

"Big v6" :tofunny::funny-7327::clapsmiley::beer-7687-1:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maxrider said:

Yea in cars and trucks. Lol they wasn’t designed to have water ran through them and run at 5k rpms for long periods of time. And you said it. You have to have skills to keep the pos running. 

Here again your naïveté shows. Since of course it’s a liquid cooled engine it was designed to have water running through it. As for the 5k rpms I have personally witnessed the running of engines at the Mercury test facility on the Fox River in Oshkosh WI. They typically ran the I/Os with test props at full throttle for 2500 hrs straight stopping only for scheduled maintenance. It was quite impressive to see and hear. They had a lineup of outboards running also. They were all running in the Fox River. 
Since you lacked the simple skills to get your 5.0 to run properly and apparently weren’t willing to pay someone to do the job right, what possible value could your opinion have?

”A great many people do not have the right to their own opinion because they don’t know what they are talking about”

Andy Rooney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drewm3i said:

That is simply not true...the sbc is far more reliable than any outboard engine will EVER be. It is made to cruise 3500 rpms all day. An outboard of similar HP rating will have to cruise 4500-5k rpms to achieve the same HP. Higher rpm= wear out faster. An inboard almost never wears out. Usually poor maintenance of the cooling system does them in. Outboard fail catastrophically far more, but this is less of an issue than it was 10 years ago 

30mph on mine is 3k rpms. Wrong again bud. These four stroke outboards isn’t the old 2 strokes. But you have fun working on that pos 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CKSNAP said:

Here again your naïveté shows. Since of course it’s a liquid cooled engine it was designed to have water running through it. As for the 5k rpms I have personally witnessed the running of engines at the Mercury test facility on the Fox River in Oshkosh WI. They typically ran the I/Os with test props at full throttle for 2500 hrs straight stopping only for scheduled maintenance. It was quite impressive to see and hear. They had a lineup of outboards running also. They were all running in the Fox River. 
Since you lacked the simple skills to get your 5.0 to run properly and apparently weren’t willing to pay someone to do the job right, what possible value could your opinion have?

”A great many people do not have the right to their own opinion because they don’t know what they are talking about”

Andy Rooney

Hey dumb dumb was talking about the exhaust as smart as you claim you are figured you would have known that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why the attitude Max? It's just a friggen boat motor..... You are entitled to your opinion but the 'tude is annoying and telling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Maxrider said:

Hey dumb dumb was talking about the exhaust as smart as you claim you are figured you would have known that. 

You don’t possess the grammar skills to concisely say what you mean and I‘m the dumb dumb????
 

I’m going to retire from this thread now as I am unwilling to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

Why the attitude Max? It's just a friggen boat motor..... You are entitled to your opinion but the 'tude is annoying and telling.

The man was being a smart azz. So gave it back. And plus it’s fun getting these guys all bent about there short comings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maxrider said:

The man was being a smart azz. So gave it back. And plus it’s fun getting these guys all bent about there short comings. 

The man was being a smart @ss, so I gave it back. And also it is fun getting these guys all bent out shape about their motor's shortcomings.

 

*Fixed it for you, since English isn't your strongsuit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Maxrider said:

30mph on mine is 3k rpms. Wrong again bud. These four stroke outboards isn’t the old 2 strokes. But you have fun working on that pos 

Probably because you have a 21' boat...30 mph on a 25' boat, would require 4000 rpms or more. You haven't even mentioned what inboards have far more of either: torque. I have near 450 ft. lbs. from 2000-4200 rpms. Also, dual prop outdrive are far easier to dock, steer, and get better economy than any single prop outboard or sterndrive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cyclops2 said:

The only piece of @#$%@# posting here is you  Maxrider.

I would disagree with that statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, drewm3i said:

Probably because you have a 21' boat...30 mph on a 25' boat, would require 4000 rpms or more. You haven't even mentioned what inboards have far more of either: torque. I have near 450 ft. lbs. from 2000-4200 rpms. Also, dual prop outdrive are far easier to dock, steer, and get better economy than any single prop outboard or sterndrive.

Nope I got a 23’ at 30mph I get 4mpg also. It does really well on fuel. I can see you haven’t been around the new 4 stroke outboards at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

The only piece of @#$%@# posting here is you  Maxrider.

Says the cry baby of the forum. Lol boy you something else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Maxrider said:

Nope I got a 23’ at 30mph I get 4mpg also. It does really well on fuel. I can see you haven’t been around the new 4 stroke outboards at all. 

Big deal, so does my 236 SSX. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Maxrider said:

The man was being a smart azz. So gave it back. And plus it’s fun getting these guys all bent about there short comings. 

Maxrider, if you want to be confrontational and in someone's face, Facebook and Twitter await you.  We prefer to have healthy, respectful exchanges here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, JohnZ said:

Maxrider, if you want to be confrontational and in someone's face, Facebook and Twitter await you.  We prefer to have healthy, respectful exchanges here.

Goes both ways doesn’t it? Why just call me out? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Maxrider said:

Goes both ways doesn’t it? Why just call me out? 

Because you have become the Outboard Troll of the site.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...