Avoid Volvo Penta GM motors!! Can not get it repaired

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Maxrider said:

People never like the truth. It’s been like that from the beginning of time.

Max OP put up a post yesterday on THT slamming Volvo. You should check it out and maybe doing a little trolling over there while I get my popcorn ready for all the fun that will no doubt ensue lol. 

The truth is Max has provided no substantive evidence or data for his claims.  It’s all anecdotal stuff self admittedly based on an older I/O engine, forum posts, & false claims about more outboards being ran than I/O.  Outboards are not even close to representing 20% usage on sport boats although outboards are gaining popularity due to convenience of winterization & maintenance access.  This is a sport boat forum not BassMasters where outboards are the majority.  This has mainly been light hearted ribbing back and forth, but as far as being “the truth”?  Just LOL.  I’m not against outboards, or anyone choosing one.  It’s the outboards are better hands down that’s simply not true by any factual measure that’s the disagreement.

22 minutes ago, Clemson Chap said:

The truth is Max has provided no substantive evidence or data for his claims.  It’s all anecdotal stuff self admittedly based on an older I/O engine, forum posts, & false claims about more outboards being ran than I/O.  Outboards are not even close to representing 20% usage on sport boats although outboards are gaining popularity due to convenience of winterization & maintenance access.  This is a sport boat forum not BassMasters where outboards are the majority.  This has mainly been light hearted ribbing back and forth, but as far as being “the truth”?  Just LOL.  I’m not against outboards, or anyone choosing one.  It’s the outboards are better hands down that’s simply not true by any factual measure that’s the disagreement.

What’s not true about an outboard that I have said? 

Better fuel economy because it’s a bunch lighter. 

Less moving parts no bellows to worry about and replace as boat gets older. 
As you mentioned there isn’t any winterizing just trim it down and the water is drained. 

Performance is better Hp vs hp because they are 1000# lighter giver or take. 250hp I/o does 47ish. My 250hp OB does 59mph. Huge gains over an I/o. 

The new 4 strokes are whisper quit can’t hear the thing running hardly. 

Salt water friendly and has anodes all in the exhaust and water jackets. 

Outboard can be trimmed all the way out of the water if you leave your boat in the water. That’s a plus in shallow waters also.

if you do have to work on the OB. You can stand there not stand on your head to work on it.

Tons more room in the boat where that boat anchor I/o would be.  

Only down fall is you lose 3’ of swim deck. On my ssi 23 we have not had an issue with as we stay at crab island in Destin. Plenty of room to walk around on my swim deck so that con isn’t a con for me. The pros well out weigh the cons. 

You have NEVER USED A MODERN  Yah ma ha ha with all the corrosion problems that have never been corrected. Including the problem of corrosion of a DRY section of the engines.  No water EVER touches the plate.  Crap metallurgy by the cheapest " Yes Boss. "  production designers ?   All the Yammy dealers readily admit the faults.

Fear not. The other good O B companies are doing their best to become like Yammy.

9 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

You have NEVER USED A MODERN  Yah ma ha ha with all the corrosion problems that have never been corrected. Including the problem of corrosion of a DRY section of the engines.  No water EVER touches the plate.  Crap metallurgy by the cheapest " Yes Boss. "  production designers ?   All the Yammy dealers readily admit the faults.

Fear not. The other good O B companies are doing their best to become like Yammy.

I guess that’s why there are 10 Yamahas to any other manufacturer on boats. Lol grasping for straws bud. By the way I have a modern Yamaha that’s been flawless in the first 60hrs. Friend has a mondern Yamaha with 500hrs on his aging flawless. Cc boats with 5000hrs on there Yamahas. Lol you are pitiful I gave you facts and you go the other way. Must be a liberal!!! 

22 minutes ago, Maxrider said:

What’s not true about an outboard that I have said? 

Better fuel economy because it’s a bunch lighter. 

Less moving parts no bellows to worry about and replace as boat gets older. 
As you mentioned there isn’t any winterizing just trim it down and the water is drained. 

Performance is better Hp vs hp because they are 1000# lighter giver or take. 250hp I/o does 47ish. My 250hp OB does 59mph. Huge gains over an I/o. 

The new 4 strokes are whisper quit can’t hear the thing running hardly. 

Salt water friendly and has anodes all in the exhaust and water jackets. 

Outboard can be trimmed all the way out of the water if you leave your boat in the water. That’s a plus in shallow waters also.

if you do have to work on the OB. You can stand there not stand on your head to work on it.

Tons more room in the boat where that boat anchor I/o would be.  

Only down fall is you lose 3’ of swim deck. On my ssi 23 we have not had an issue with as we stay at crab island in Destin. Plenty of room to walk around on my swim deck so that con isn’t a con for me. The pros well out weigh the cons. 

Some of this is correct.  Boating Magazine’s tests measured the I/O at 10 decibels less than the outboard.  That’s twice as silent.  You may think the OB is quiet, but the actual tests say the I/O is much quieter.

You are only considering top end performance.  Dual propped rigs can blow away the OBs on the hole shot, carry more of a load while towing, & make the OBs look silly in low speed maneuvers.  This test results are also available from live Boating Magazine trials.  If top end is your thing then absolutely single props are the way to go.

Fuel economy goes to I/O particularly dual props in these test comparisons also.  You can Google & read the articles.

Maintenance convenience is conceded and is the only true advantage of the OB.  

17 minutes ago, Clemson Chap said:

Some of this is correct.  Boating Magazine’s tests measured the I/O at 10 decibels less than the outboard.  That’s twice as silent.  You may think the OB is quiet, but the actual tests say the I/O is much quieter.

You are only considering top end performance.  Dual propped rigs can blow away the OBs on the hole shot, carry more of a load while towing, & make the OBs look silly in low speed maneuvers.  This test results are also available from live Boating Magazine trials.  If top end is your thing then absolutely single props are the way to go.

Fuel economy goes to I/O particularly dual props in these test comparisons also.  You can Google & read the articles.

Maintenance convenience is conceded and is the only true advantage of the OB.  

They tested that with a speed 3 blade prop. They make 4 blade props for ob’s that will do the same as the duel props. I have the 15-1/4” 19P salt water series 2 on my boat and I will bet you it’s real close to the duel props in low end performance. It has a really deep cup and why it gets so good fuel economy. I can prop my OB to do the same as those due props are doing is what I’m saying. The 4 blade props will be in the same ball park. 

Come on guys everyone knows nuclear propulsion is best propulsion!  Infinite MPGs, can push a 1000' ship to classified speeds over 40 MPH, and can go 25 years between refueling.  My reactor is going in next week.   

At this point I think Max is having a little fun with everyone.

8 minutes ago, dan02gt said:

Come on guys everyone knows nuclear propulsion is best propulsion!  Infinite MPGs, can push a 1000' ship to classified speeds over 40 MPH, and can go 25 years between refueling.  My reactor is going in next week.   

At this point I think Max is having a little fun with everyone.

You got it lol. 

Ironically the weight savings and stern COG of an outboard boat hurt the ride quality as well...and if Max thinks a four blade= dual counter rotating props,  he is even more clueless than I thought! Newsflash: four blades still create prop torque in one direction which leads to prop walk. And no, hole shot will never be as good nor will handling or fuel economy. Top end will also suffer on normal boats with a four blade vs 3 blade (less drag) or dual prop (more thrust to make up for more drag).

48 minutes ago, drewm3i said:

Ironically the weight savings and stern COG of an outboard boat hurt the ride quality as well...and if Max thinks a four blade= dual counter rotating props,  he is even more clueless than I thought! Newsflash: four blades still create prop torque in one direction which leads to prop walk. And no, hole shot will never be as good nor will handling or fuel economy. Top end will also suffer on normal boats with a four blade vs 3 blade (less drag) or dual prop (more thrust to make up for more drag).

I will run out your life with my outboard on the same 23’ boat. Facts! Done it several times this summer. No one is drag racing boats. It’s usually a roll start from at least 30mph cruising up the intercostal.  Lol. I’m sorry those I/o’s are not popular down here in the south. 

Just now, Maxrider said:

I will run out your life with my outboard on the same 23’ boat. Facts! Done it several times this summer. No one is drag racing boats. It’s usually a roll start from at least 30mph cruising up the intercostal.  Lol. I’m sorry those I/o’s are not popular down here in the south. 

You do realize I am from West Palm and kept my Chaparral 2335 SS in Key Largo for over a year, right? I am not stranger to the ways of Florida.

5 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

Naw.. I'd never get up to 88mph... I'm a cruiser not a speed guy. 30knots at 3600rpm is fine for me all day long. 

My wife is the same way. I scare her to death sometimes. I like to open it up at least once a day. Lol. I’m about to put the Nizpro Marine 332hp tune on it. She is kinda upset with me right now. Lol