DarkMantle

Bow thruster on a Sig 270

Piece of cake job.  By a decent boat shop who has done them before. WITH references that still have a thruster in their boat. Nothing can beat 1 in bow and 1 in the stern.

Been on several old woodies with the dual set up.  Screw the wind & current in a snug fitting space.  :D   Enjoy looking so dam good in bad weather. People boarding or leaving in wind / current.

3 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

Piece of cake job.  By a decent boat shop who has done them before. WITH references that still have a thruster in their boat. Nothing can beat 1 in bow and 1 in the stern.

Been on several old woodies with the dual set up.  Screw the wind & current in a snug fitting space.  :D   Enjoy looking so dam good in bad weather. People boarding or leaving in wind / current.

I'll be cutting it and installing myself. Just wanted to hear from anyone's experience. Doesn't seem overly difficult. 

52 minutes ago, DarkMantle said:

I'll be cutting it and installing myself. Just wanted to hear from anyone's experience. Doesn't seem overly difficult. 

Talk with Hatem, he has mention that he is interested in doing one.  Denny.

Caution !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make DAMM sure the boat is  level in the LEFT & RIGHT direction. You will need to find the waterline when docked & level.  It does NOT NOT need to be crammed into the most foward part of the hull !!  Any easier place is where you want it for many reasons. Like replacing a brand new reject ?  Happens. Same for a stern.  The pump motor can be center line or near a side . It will pump just as well.  It DOES NOT NEED to be so low you are cutting on a curve all the time.  CALL the companies to get ALL their opinions.   Enjoy.

We did 1 woodie in our boat group. I made up a roll around boring / cutting tool to get the tube very level.  Not needed.

Almost forgot.............. Some pumps were NOISEY CRAP..............THe props were cavitating terribly .  a reason for getting them deep enough with just a driver in the boat. More people reduces  risk of cavitation noises.

Do a lot of questions to companies. Be prepared  for glass repairs.  GOOD ENOUGH is NOT acceptable below the water line !!  THe tube CAN be expected to get SLAMMED by sideways waves very hard in rough weather !!!!!!!!!!!!   Coming loose IS NOT ALLOWED.  ALL raw glass edges MUST BE SEALED before the tube is installed.

I almost forgot the most important THING !! 

A correct sized HOLE SAW !! we placed a deposit for borrowing 1 of them from the company. Made the job a piece of cake for us.

23 hours ago, DarkMantle said:

There's a REALLY good video on YouTube.  A guy documented the whole process.  Been a couple years since I saw it, but you should be able to find it fairly easily.

12 hours ago, Phillbo said:

I'm curious why you feel you need one?

Single screw and tight quarters especially when backing into the slip. I don't like not having control over the front end. 

11 hours ago, DarkMantle said:

Single screw and tight quarters especially when backing into the slip. I don't like not having control over the front end. 

I have the same boat and have had the unpleasant experience of backing in and the wind blowing the bow away from the dock. This can be very scary.  I have modified my eisenglas by installing roll-up zip windows on the port and starboard sides. This allows me to reach the mid-cleat while still at the helm, or allows my co-pilot to reach the port mid-cleat through the new window. I approach a finger dock at almost perpendicular and as soon as possible lasso the dock corner post. Since I am attached to my mid cleat the bow does get blown off. Now using short pulses in reverse I swing the stern around to get parallel with the finger dock. My co-pilot will be on the swim platform during this procedure with a boat hook to ward us off any other boats or posts and then stepping off with a line in hand to finish tying up.  I have also done this single handed with a line on the starboard cleat and reaching out the new window to lasso the dock post. When tied to the mid-cleat the boat will not get blown off the dock. If the 270 were much longer, I don't think there would be adequate swing room at most docks to accomplish this.

When I single-hand the boat, I install a line on the starboard mid-cleat with the balance of the line inside the cockpit area, via the new window, before leaving my slip.  I hope my description allows you to visualize the procedure.

38 minutes ago, MontreAl said:

My co-pilot will be on the swim platform during this procedure with a boat hook to ward us off any other boats or posts and then stepping off with a line in hand to finish tying up. 

Not a good practice.. One slip while you are in reverse and it's not going to end well...Everyone stays in the boat while I am maneuvering around the dock. My Girl Friend is typically in the galley.

When I have guest on board and they ask if they can help I tell them "Yes, sit down and don't move for a few minutes"... 

2 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

When I have guest on board and they ask if they can help I tell them "Yes, sit down and don't move for a few minutes"...

100% this!  Haha.  That's my usual response.  Just BE STILL!

I to follow ALL passengers seated.  What, how can you help a person who tries to jump to the dock. but slips & falls between the dock & boat.  Talk about Pure screaming & everybody racing to 1 side ??  Been There. High sided boat  I am grabbing any boat docking line that the person could grab ahold of. Thankfully no vertical boards on the dock .We eventually get him aboard as the boat is pressing against the 2 dividing poles. Another case where luck beats the crappp out of skill.

Buy a bigger boat!  

Thrusters take up a lot of room. Also, you will need at least a group 24 battery install in the bow.

On 9/18/2020 at 5:49 PM, Iggy said:

Buy a bigger boat!  

Thrusters take up a lot of room. Also, you will need at least a group 24 battery install in the bow.

I like tis size because it's trailerable and I move it between a few lakes.  I'm going to take the power from the Windlass or at least look into that.  The windlass and thruster are never used at the same time.

On 9/18/2020 at 10:54 AM, MontreAl said:

I have the same boat and have had the unpleasant experience of backing in and the wind blowing the bow away from the dock. This can be very scary.  I have modified my eisenglas by installing roll-up zip windows on the port and starboard sides. This allows me to reach the mid-cleat while still at the helm, or allows my co-pilot to reach the port mid-cleat through the new window. I approach a finger dock at almost perpendicular and as soon as possible lasso the dock corner post. Since I am attached to my mid cleat the bow does get blown off. Now using short pulses in reverse I swing the stern around to get parallel with the finger dock. My co-pilot will be on the swim platform during this procedure with a boat hook to ward us off any other boats or posts and then stepping off with a line in hand to finish tying up.  I have also done this single handed with a line on the starboard cleat and reaching out the new window to lasso the dock post. When tied to the mid-cleat the boat will not get blown off the dock. If the 270 were much longer, I don't think there would be adequate swing room at most docks to accomplish this.

When I single-hand the boat, I install a line on the starboard mid-cleat with the balance of the line inside the cockpit area, via the new window, before leaving my slip.  I hope my description allows you to visualize the procedure.

I can see exactly what you're doing there.  I still would prefer to be able to control it without having to rely on any outside help, especially in stiff winds.  I can always get it into the slip but that front is gone is a second.

Hold off !!

I have almost finished the prototype Dockside Tractor Beam.     www.SpockEnterprises.com

Enjoy.   :D

6 hours ago, DarkMantle said:

I like tis size because it's trailerable and I move it between a few lakes.  I'm going to take the power from the Windlass or at least look into that.  The windlass and thruster are never used at the same time.

Yes, there never used at the same time. Thrusters use a lot of power than a windless.  So you will need to do the math between gauge wire, load and distance. 

Here's the video I was referencing.  The second video is a follow-up where he spends more time talking about the wiring.  I haven't watched the entirety of either video as it's FAR above my expertise.

Only DEEP CYCLE  batteries need apply. Chaps have high sides.  So after you put in & use a bow unit.  A stern thruster is too good to pass up.  Correctly done thrusters should be as deep as possible.  To prevent cavitation & loss of thrust in high winds & current.

A wood mahogany owner told me to dock his 30 footer in a wind  and current condition.  i had seen him do it 2 times.  It REALLY is as simple as can be.  After 3 seconds to blip as needed.  

Worst case with just a bow thruster ?  Pin the bow to the dock. Lineman steps on dock . Quick bow  line attach.  Use the full rudder & F  or R to suck the stern in.  

If possible. Always use full rudder & forward . Reverse is VERY weak in comparison with some props and High slippage.

If you come back & your space is now a very high risk place ?  Take any other safe space.  Remember no other people got caught like you did. 

On 9/16/2020 at 11:30 PM, Denny said:

Talk with Hatem, he has mention that he is interested in doing one.  Denny.

I would've done mine this spring or even this summer since we never put the boat into the water and I had access to it the whole time.  But between the cylinder repair and just work in general, I never had any stretch of time to get it done.  Real bummer because if there ever was a good time to do it, it would've been this summer but was just too dam busy.  

Definitely gonna give it a shot this spring.

3 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Here's the video I was referencing.  The second video is a follow-up where he spends more time talking about the wiring.  I haven't watched the entirety of either video as it's FAR above my expertise.

Note how short the battery cables are. The shorter, the more amps it can handle.

I think you meant. 

The shorter the cable . The less voltage drop in the wire. 

Wire gauge / diameter  determines how many amps can be carried.

16 hours ago, Hatem said:

I would've done mine this spring or even this summer since we never put the boat into the water and I had access to it the whole time.  But between the cylinder repair and just work in general, I never had any stretch of time to get it done.  Real bummer because if there ever was a good time to do it, it would've been this summer but was just too dam busy.  

Definitely gonna give it a shot this spring.

You guys couldn't boat at all this summer????  Man, you need to move out of Communist Mass!

1 hour ago, TexasPilot71 said:

You guys couldn't boat at all this summer???? 

Never said we couldn't boat all season.  Not sure where you got that, ma man.