TexasPilot71

CO poisoning

Here’s an awful story about a 9 y/o succumbing to Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Seems simply from riding on/in the back of a boat. Lots of unanswered questions here, but what is the answer to something like this?  We typically talk about CO poisoning in the cabin or even in a station wagon effect situation with canvas up. But what is the answer to this type of tragedy?  Maybe there’s not enough information in the story to answer, but certainly thought provoking. 

https://www.hccommunityjournal.com/article_2c3903cc-f1fb-11ea-9314-0f8c02b6e971.html?fbclid=IwAR14V6-8Eepy_X25Vhx-C5YhBrnp40-8V_B4p-ZH4dYH4AxRJNPtdcMAN0E

I just don't see how CO could accumulate that rapidly in an open air well ventilated environment.

Surely their boat engine must be malfunctioning?

It’s very hard to understand how this could have happened.  Maybe they had a jet boat that had the stern seating and let him ride back there through a no wake zone. 

I have often heard that when you are traveling at idle speed you should run your blower..  admittedly I do not.  I wonder if the CO deal is why I have been told that?  Very sad story, I have a 9 year old boy..  heartbreaking.  

Only thing I can think of is that a long idle zone combined with a slight tailwind.  Many inboard wakeboats have exhaust that exists relatively high on the transom.  Very sad.  :-(

I'm going to guess that going slowly and possibly having the center window of the bow closed, could of been a facter. 

Remember back in the day, the back window of station wagons (MV) could open,  that why thay don't now. 

Sad....

m

1 hour ago, Youngz said:

I have often heard that when you are traveling at idle speed you should run your blower..  admittedly I do not.  I wonder if the CO deal is why I have been told that?  Very sad story, I have a 9 year old boy..  heartbreaking.  

Definitely run the blowers at idle but all that does is evacuate the gasses from the bilge. Won’t help gasses above deck. 

A person standing in the exhaust fume path is in danger . So lets stop doing it to people.

YOU can not stop me from doing it !!   I can do what I want to.

Why all car dealerships have MANDATORY  hoses connected running engine all the time.  All delivery trucks CAN NOT have running engines indoors.

We have a rule when on someones house boat that no one can spend long periods of time on the rear deck while under way . We also keep the rear arcadia door closed and the front one open.

I remember back in the 60's and going boating with my family, one of the things I loved doing is sit on the stern and watch the water come out from underneath the boat. It was bubbling up like a cumulus cloud rather than a high speed contrail. A little above plane. My parents kept pulling me away so as not to get CO poisoned. This isn't a new problem. Just typical people not paying attention to there surroundings.  You may not smell the CO, but you can smell the exhaust. 

The back draft comment is true. My boat has it also. If it weren't for the back draft my whole engine would have been cooked beyond repair. As it heated up, I could smell the overheated engine which made me look at my temp gauge.   

The middle picture below is similar to the 60"s boat I was on. No swim platform. Just looking over the railing. 

Image result for co poisoning from stern boatsImage result for co poisoning from stern boatsImage result for co poisoning from stern boats

All these accurate posts are why I switched to total electric house 40 ? years ago. 

The vertical transoms and swim platforms are good at holding slow speed gases at the transom.

16 hours ago, platon20 said:

I just don't see how CO could accumulate that rapidly in an open air well ventilated environment.

Surely their boat engine must be malfunctioning?

It's called the station wagon effect.  

https://www.boat-ed.com/canada/studyGuide/CO-Poisoning-Situations-Slow-Speed-or-Station-Wagon-Effect/101199_116010/

https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/harbors-and-navigation-code/hnc-sect-681.html

(a) It is unlawful to operate a motorized vessel or have the engine of a motorized vessel run idle while an individual is teak surfing, platform dragging, or bodysurfing behind the motorized vessel.

(b) It is unlawful to operate a motorized vessel or have the engine of a motorized vessel run idle while an individual is occupying or holding onto the swim platform, swim deck, swim step, or swim ladder of the vessel.

(c) Subdivision (b) does not apply when an individual is occupying the swim platform, swim deck, swim step, or swim ladder for a very brief period of time while assisting with the docking or departure of the vessel, while exiting or entering the vessel, or while the vessel is engaged in law enforcement or emergency rescue activity.

(d) “Teak surfing” or “platform dragging” means holding onto the swim platform, swim deck, swim step, swim ladder, or any portion of the exterior of the transom of a motorized vessel for any amount of time while the motorized vessel is underway at any speed.

(e) “Bodysurfing” means swimming or floating on one's stomach or on one's back on or in the wake directly behind a motorized vessel that is underway.

(f) “Vessel” has the same meaning as set forth in subdivision (e) of Section 775.5 .

(g) A violation of this section is an infraction punishable by a fine of up to one hundred dollars ($100).  Nothing in this subdivision shall be considered in relation to a suspension, restriction, or delay of driving privileges, or in the determination of a violation point count as provided in Section 12810 of the Vehicle Code

Image result for teak surfing cause carbon monoxide

Maybe this is next? You are right on top of the exhaust discharge. Perfect target. May not be a big deal if you're only out there for a short time. What about all day with an accumulative effect.

Image result for teak surfing cause carbon monoxide

This is the same problem of trying to help people as................ Do not swim near ANY docks with electric power on them.

When I was at one of the boat shows last winter , can't remember which one, but one of the ski boat manufactures added an extension to put the exhaust under the water. Not sure if that helps or not.  Denny. 

10 minutes ago, Denny said:

When I was at one of the boat shows last winter , can't remember which one, but one of the ski boat manufactures added an extension to put the exhaust under the water. Not sure if that helps or not.  Denny. 

Its called Fresh Air Exhaust and is available aftermarket as well as OEM on many tow boats. It works at surf speeds, like 10+, but not at no-wake/idle or sitting still. 

I do not like this topic. Enough people have been brain damaged by this condition. Yet no agency is clamping down.  What does 1 old geezer have to offer to correct the problem ?  None.

25 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

I do not like this topic. Enough people have been brain damaged by this condition. Yet no agency is clamping down.  What does 1 old geezer have to offer to correct the problem ?  None.

WE DON'T NEED MORE REGULATION!