Sign in to follow this  
platon20

Better engine access

I have a 246 SSI, getting under or to the back of the engine is a real pain in the $^&.

Sometimes I feel like I should just unscrew the hinges for the rear bench/seat cover and lift the entire freaking thing off the boat so I dont have to crawl down into a small hole.

When I needed to work on mine, I would unhook the lift and prop it up. Gives one more room.

large.IMG_0329.JPG.f873f74434d02cb8a86fc21f511c3ad7.JPG

You do have to disconect the drains to the lid.

large.IMG_0326.JPG.7732e267d56584ce5ad793899628e4fc.JPG

When I look at boats the first thing I look at is access to the engine area. I was at the Chicago boat show one year looked at a boat with literally no access to the 4 of the plugs. The sales rep says "Why do you care you don't have to do it", really " I have to pay the @sshole Tax to work on it".

Thats why I'm not a big fan of the SSx models with the side walk through.. Sorry

2004lebanshee, that looks like a SSI 210 which I have.  But your pic is one with the doghouse over the engine.  I have to remove my bench seat and dividers to get it to the point yours is at.  I'm getting good at it though.

1 hour ago, SG Boater said:

2004lebanshee, that looks like a SSI 210 which I have.  But your pic is one with the doghouse over the engine.  I have to remove my bench seat and dividers to get it to the point yours is at.  I'm getting good at it though.

I'm impressed how well I've learned to dislocate my shoulder getting through the little holes on the side. Put a 2 battery bank on the right somehow.

6 hours ago, SG Boater said:

Yep. Would rather have the bench/sunpad, though. Serves our boating style better.

On a side note, I'm fairly disappointed with the poor design choices that I see on lots of modern vehicles like boats and trucks.

I'm a former engineer, and one thing I've discovered about boats and trucks and other items is that they don't seem to give much thought to user access and maintenance.

When I was in college and working on a project design, our professors always told us to "keep it simple, stupid" but apparently that philosophy has fallen by the wayside. Just changing out a truck battery is more difficult than it used to be, some of them have 2 layers on top that you have to remove before you can even get to the battery posts.  What used to be a 2 minute job has now turned into 10 minutes requiring multiple tools.  That's just stupid design philosophy. 

Surprised Max has not trolled along and posted a picture of him standing next to his Outboard......