Sign in to follow this  
Phillbo

Back on the lake !!

It's been a few months but we drove up today, grabbed the cruiser out of storage and am currently sitting in a slip at Wahweap Marina ready to head up lake tomorrow. Met up with a buddy earlier and he is in the slip next to us. Him and I went and pulled 2 friends cruisers out of storage and have them all gassed up and ready to go in a couple slips next to us as well.... They will be showing up in a few hours so we did not want them to have to deal with launching their boats. Tomorrow we all head up lake for a week..

It's nice to be on the lake again with most of the yahoos gone for the season. Only hitch in the plan is that the Dangling Rope Marina up lake had an issue with their lift pump and do not have water. We typically top off our fresh water tanks mid week at that marina so we are having to strap (4) 5 gallon water jugs to the bow railing (looks redneck)....  First world problem - right. 

Love this time of year on the lake.... 

Wow, sounds like a great trip! Your in Lake Powell. Right? (I googled Dangling Rope Marina and Utah came up) 

It's 44 degrees here in Michigan this morning, but hoping the coming weekends bring some nice cool boating scenery here on Lake Huron before we pull out and winterize in October. 

Post some  pictures. I always heard good things about Lake Powell!!!

Happy Boating!

12 hours ago, Phillbo said:

most of the yahoos gone for the season

We are on the boats most every weekend in the summer. This summer has definitely been different with all the new boat owners on the water. Really crazy watching out for them. History on our lake has been after Labor Day, hardly anyone on the water. Was really curious with covid and all the new boats what it would look like this year. Very happy to report....they are gone!!! So nice and pleasant now to enjoy the water. Can't wait for 2-3 years when they start selling their boats.

This season has also been busy on Lake Erie. With the wind, along with all the boaters out, it made for a bumpy ride or a bumpy mooring. For me it wasn't all that pleasant. But yesterday, was also a windy day, but NO OTHER BOATS!. I owned the lake! hahaha. Well this end anyways. Denny has the other end. :D With no boats out in the lake there was no "wake turbulence" so the waves were in a rhythmic pattern undisturbed. Even when I pointed directly into the wind and waves and with the boat properly trimmed, it rode up and over the waves for a relatively smooth ride. Even though it was 59 degrees, it was the best boating this entire season. 

13 hours ago, Phillbo said:

It's been a few months but we drove up today, grabbed the cruiser out of storage and am currently sitting in a slip at Wahweap Marina ready to head up lake tomorrow. Met up with a buddy earlier and he is in the slip next to us. Him and I went and pulled 2 friends cruisers out of storage and have them all gassed up and ready to go in a couple slips next to us as well.... They will be showing up in a few hours so we did not want them to have to deal with launching their boats. Tomorrow we all head up lake for a week..

It's nice to be on the lake again with most of the yahoos gone for the season. Only hitch in the plan is that the Dangling Rope Marina up lake had an issue with their lift pump and do not have water. We typically top off our fresh water tanks mid week at that marina so we are having to strap (4) 5 gallon water jugs to the bow railing (looks redneck)....  First world problem - right. 

Love this time of year on the lake.... 

Beautiful lake , It looks like no one live close by. How far do you have to travel to get to it?

4 hour drive from my home in Scottsdale but well worth it......  Breakfast is done but a couple of the girls needed to run to the store for some last minute supplies. Should be heading up lake in about an hour. 

Randall, yes we are on Lake Powell. This site sucks for posting pictures so just do a Google Image search and you will see plenty. 

Highs in the low 90's and lows in the low 70's... Almost perfect. 

Where was the waterline when you guys first started boating there?

Nice job ramos...

1- that is Reflection canyon and our destination tomorrow after showing some people Rainbow Bridge. Currently rafted up in Kane creek for the day and night.

2-That is an area of the lake just upstream from Antelope Point Marina we call the Maytag Straights. It gets it's name due to the steep walls and traffic, The wakes do not dissipate but just bounce back and forth off the wall. It's a nasty section but only about 4 miles long and soon dumps you into Padre Bay.

3- Wahweap Marina where my cruiser will be slipped until the next summer season arrives and the yahoos return.

4- Entrance to I believe Cathedral Canyon. 

5- Entrance to Mountain Sheep Canyon... 

The lake is more crowded than we expect but manageable. We got a real nice sight yesterday so plan to stay put today and move up lake tomorrow. We have 2 couples that have never been on the lake. I love showing people the sights. 

Yes they rent Day boats but the best way is to get a group of 8-12 friends and rent a houseboat for a week... It's not a lake you can see in a day.....

Watching YouTube vids of Lske Powell. Wow! Beautiful...draws 3 million visitors a year. 2nd largest man made lake in the nation created from the Glen Canyon Dam. 2000 miles of shoreline! 

What about all of  those rocks? I dread them and the damage they would do to my B3. We have a lot of rocky areas in Lake Huron around Charity Island. Rocks Give me the willies!!! LOL

Well, we had a great week on the lake until Friday afternoon when it was ruined (well, interrupted) by the pest known as Wake Boats..  We were all rafted up on a beach in Kane Creek when a wake boat came buy and rocked us hard enough to damage 2 of the boats. One had it's rub rail pulled loose and the other one had it's bow rail bent when a fender was pulled under the boat next to it due to the wake action. 

We tried to flag the pest down but they ignored us as they made another pass. So my buddy (ex cop) untied his boat and went after them. 

When he came back about an hour later he reported that he informed them of the damage they had created and that he planned to file a report with the Rangers and a claim against their insurance. He had their Insurance Card and Boat Registration in possession and had told them they could retrieve it at the marina rangers station when they returned (they planned to be on the lake for a few more days). 

When we returned to the marina yesterday he hooked up with the Rangers and a citation will be issued when they return. All documentation was put in order and a claim will be filed with the insurance company. If the insurance is refused a law suit will be filed. He's pissed. 

Luckily he happened to be toying around with a new Go Pro in expectation of filming the sun set so the incident was partially caught on camera.... 

Also lucky no one was injured trying to fend the boats off from crashing into each other. I have a firm 'no limbs in harms way around the dock or other boats'.. Gel coat can be fixed easier than an arm or leg.. 

Pest need to be banned but I know that will never happen...... 

Thats unbelievable that any boater could be so stupid! Glad your friend caught up with him. He should pay dearly. Glad no one was hurt! 

On 9/20/2020 at 11:17 AM, SST said:

Where was the waterline when you guys first started boating there?

I've been on the lake since the early 70's and have seen it at full pool. It fluctuates about 60' a year depending on the snow pack in the Rockies. The run off flows into Powell and then a portion of it is released into the Colorado River that runs through the Grand Canyon and into Lake Mead near Las Vegas. 

Last time it was full was in the mid 80's. 

1 hour ago, Phillbo said:

I've been on the lake since the early 70's and have seen it at full pool. It fluctuates about 60' a year depending on the snow pack in the Rockies. The run off flows into Powell and then a portion of it is released into the Colorado River that runs through the Grand Canyon and into Lake Mead near Las Vegas. 

Last time it was full was in the mid 80's. 

So, while looking at the fantastic pictures above, where would you consider it full? Top of the white area or even higher than that?

Yeah, top of the white marking is full pool......  Probably never see that again since Vegas is gobbling up so much water along with California's usage of the Colorado south of Lake Mead.