Coolant leak on Genny

Good morning, just got my 5ecd Genny  running after installing a new fuel pump and fuel module,  it ran great.  came back the next day and found a small amount of coolant in the tray.  cleaned it up couldn't find anything so i figured it may have been spillage.  came back several days later and found more coolant and the over fill bottle was a few ounces lower,  couldn't find anything obvious.  any ideas ?  not sure if there are any fittings in the rear I can't see?  hoping it's not anything serious like cracked block etc.  I am winterizing the boat, but I'd like to locate this before next season.  

Thnx, 

7 hours ago, gweedo said:

Good morning, just got my 5ecd Genny  running after installing a new fuel pump and fuel module,  it ran great.  came back the next day and found a small amount of coolant in the tray.  cleaned it up couldn't find anything so i figured it may have been spillage.  came back several days later and found more coolant and the over fill bottle was a few ounces lower,  couldn't find anything obvious.  any ideas ?  not sure if there are any fittings in the rear I can't see?  hoping it's not anything serious like cracked block etc.  I am winterizing the boat, but I'd like to locate this before next season.  

Thnx, 

Not sure about coolant loss, but can you tell me more about replacing the full pump and module? What were the symptoms which led you to replace them?

Thanks

5 hours ago, MontreAl said:

Not sure about coolant loss, but can you tell me more about replacing the full pump and module? What were the symptoms which led you to replace them?

Thanks

It wouldn't start, kept getting a UU code, under voltage.  I used an OHM meter and found one bad fuse, still no start but the UU code went away.  I'm not big on electrical so I resorted to my automotive experience.  You need air, spark and fuel, I had everything except fuel.  I tried over and over to bleed to but not fuel.  I looked on another forum , I think sea ray, and found an extensive thread on the subject.  many no starts were caused by a bad /plugged injector, but, how do you know if the injector is bad if no fuel is getting to it. 

So I took an educated  $700 deer guess based on what I read, and replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump and fuel module,  (I should have replaced the $80 pump first to see if that would have solved it, but I always go all in, so I replaced the module as well, so I can't say if it was either or both.  I sent the injector out to be checked and cleaned, it was in perfect shape.  The fuel pumped right, bled the system and it fired right up. 

Now on the other thread they were finding the salt was corroding the interior of the module and or the gasket which allowed water to get into the fuel system causing things to get plugged up.  My boat was only in salt for a few months, otherwise always fresh water, the walls of my module were good, but I did have salt inside.  Photo's on the other thread showed obvious signs of damage and I believe their boats were always in saltwater.    I have a thread on the subject.  

I received a lot of good info on this this forum, Wingnut was very helpful.      The fuel system is pretty easy to replace, I put it together on the bench then installed.

P/S  I was told you couldn't buy the fuel pump and regulator inside the fuel module, you had to buy the complete piece.  At that point I didn't care so I didn't search any further.  

In the photos the left blue item is the fuel pump and the right is the regulator.  not way to test the regulator.  The fuel line from the boat connects to the fuel filter, then to the external fuel pump then to the fuel module.  

Hope this info helps.

Boat fuel module 1.jpg

boat fuel module 2.jpg

Edited by gweedo
Typo
On 9/20/2020 at 2:02 PM, Iggy said:

Run it up to temp and check!

I winterized the boat for now, not able to run it,  but I'm thinking it may be the bottle because  it was full when I shut it down and now its less than a 1/4 full.  I need to finish winterizing in a few days, I'll pull the bottle and check it for a crack.   the problem is the fluid in the pan is under the fuel filter side, so that could simply be from a lean but who knows.  I've had (not my first boat) this 2-years,  put  5K into it (besides a new outdrive in 18) and had it out once.  no more time this year so it's parked for the season.  Now that it is in absolutely  100% ready for the water, I just may sell it next season.  My luck, thanks for your response.