Kylesalone

Newbie startup - shutdown - shore power for 07 Sig 330

I’ve had a ton of fun with my 2015 284, but just purchased a 07 signature 330. 
I did a sea trial and survey and it’s scheduled to be delivered next week. 
I can’t remember and wasn’t smart enough to take notes about what to do when plugging into shore power, checklist when starting, when leaving (shutdown) or when running the generator. 
it’s always in a covered slip. 
Does anyone have a checklist?

Thank you!

No checklist, but I always connect and disconnect shore power in this order:

Disconnect:
switch off individual breakers in panel
switch off main shore power breaker in panel
Switch off breaker at shore power service (on the dock)
Disconnect cable from boat

Reconnect:
Connect cable to boat
Switch on breaker at shore power service (on the dock)
Switch on main shore power breaker in panel
Verify 110/120 volts on meter
Switch on individual breakers in panel

53 minutes ago, TexasPilot71 said:

No checklist, but I always connect and disconnect shore power in this order:

Disconnect:
switch off individual breakers in panel
switch off main shore power breaker in panel
Switch off breaker at shore power service (on the dock)
Disconnect cable from boat

Reconnect:
Connect cable to boat
Switch on breaker at shore power service (on the dock)
Switch on main shore power breaker in panel
Verify 110/120 volts on meter
Switch on individual breakers in panel

Thank you! 
Can I start the boat with the shore line plugged into the boat? 
Whats your sequence on the Generator start up?

Just now, Kylesalone said:

Thank you! 
Can I start the boat with the shore line plugged into the boat? 
Whats your sequence on the Generator start up?

Yes, you can.  I have heard it can be bad to run both a battery charger and your alternator.  Maybe somebody can chime in on that??  But for caution's sake, I kill the battery charger breaker before I start if shore power is still connected.

For generator startup/shutdown, it goes something like this:

STARTUP:
Run blowers if not already switched on
Start Generator
Shut down individual breakers (if on)
Shut off Main shore power breaker (if on)
Slide the Generator power guard to enable you to switch the generator on
Switch generator on
Verify 110/120 volts
Switch individual breakers on

SHUTDOWN:
Switch off individual breakers
Shut off generator switch (removes load to generator)
Allow generator to run for several minutes without load
(You may switch to shore power at this time if you like)
Switch off generator
Switch off blowers

The golden rule ? About ACV   AND     DCV   systems

NEVER have 2 TWO of the same power systems on at the same time.. 

Shore power and  your on board LARGE  AC converter and or your  120vac generator should  NEVER BOTH be on at the same time. They WILL FIGHT each other. Possibly with damage.

The 12 vdc systems Are a POSSIBLE problem . IF  IF  they do not have blocking diodes in each system.   The Chaparral dealer MIGHT know the correct conditions in a BRAND NEW BOAT.

In a used boat ?  Any condition is possible due to DIY wannabees............. I would ALWAYS shutoff the onboard battery charger BEFORE starting the engines.   I would also shut OFF the boat engine before starting the on board battery charger.

You may have protective relays that will do things correctly.............No ONE knows for sure until these things are checked out.

Thank you!

what about the heater. Do I just run the AC and set the temp... and that runs the AC or the heat?

Panel should have a push button for A/C and one for heat, press desired button and set temperature requested, if you have a panel marked SMX II you can find helpful information on a website for Flight Systems, they offer many replacement parts and panel plus some really good directions and trouble shooting tips

13 hours ago, Kylesalone said:

Thank you!

what about the heater. Do I just run the AC and set the temp... and that runs the AC or the heat?

Hate to be "that guy", but you REALLY need to understand your HVAC system inside and out.  You'll need to know about water flow, valves, reverse-cycle, etc.  It's not as simple as selecting the temp.  You WILL have problems and there are things you need to check every time you run it.  Not as simple as a checklist.  It's not hard to learn, and once you understand how it works, you'll be better equipped to prevent damage.

16 minutes ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Hate to be "that guy", but you REALLY need to understand your HVAC system inside and out.  You'll need to know about water flow, valves, reverse-cycle, etc.  It's not as simple as selecting the temp.  You WILL have problems and there are things you need to check every time you run it.  Not as simple as a checklist.  It's not hard to learn, and once you understand how it works, you'll be better equipped to prevent damage.

I AGREE! Thank you for pointing that out. I like to know the inner-workings of most of whats resonable to understand. Where would I find this information?

Its certainly not in the manuals. Yes they have some schematics of the water lines and electrical.. but nothing a newbie can understand. I've searched the internet for hours daily looking for data and came up with next to nothing.

3 hours ago, Kylesalone said:

I AGREE! Thank you for pointing that out. I like to know the inner-workings of most of whats resonable to understand. Where would I find this information?

Its certainly not in the manuals. Yes they have some schematics of the water lines and electrical.. but nothing a newbie can understand. I've searched the internet for hours daily looking for data and came up with next to nothing.

Your best bet is to find a local surveyor and ask him to go through the boat with you.  Pay him a nominal fee and he can help you learn your systems in a couple hours, I would think.  If not a surveyor, maybe a local boat broker (who somebody you trust also trusts), or maybe your local dealer.  These systems aren't specific to Chaparral, so any seasoned boat owner with similar systems should be able to walk you through it all.  You'll feel SO much better.

Additionally, try searching through this forum.  There is a TON of information in here.  For instance, search "air condition" and you'll probably answer most of your questions.