Coluzz

2021 267 SSX OB

Just took delivery of this "made to order" boat and it has a significant list to the port side. Note the water line to the floor drain on each of the boat in the attached pics.

This is only the second year of production of this hull with an outboard so I'm curious if anyone else has experienced a similar situation. If so, what was the resolution and were you satisfied? Thanks

0830201008a.jpg

0830201008.jpg

Is it just sitting or even on plane?  Start with basics what side our the battery's on, water tank, storage under the seats.  PS Beautiful boat how does it ride?

most people with the older hull 256, 264 complain about the same issue.  I think it depends on what equipment is on what side of the boat.  Head, water tank, holding tank, batteries, etc.

Are all the Chap boats designed the cheapest way possible ?   This is not the first series of Chaps to be built with a tilt in them over the decades.  Even I can set all the equipment in a 16' Aluminum fish boat to be balanced. empty or me sitting in it at the dock.  Are ALL The water and sewage  tanks supposed to be full ?

Chap must be using too much A I . And NO prototypes for testing.    Forgot all about the newest caller of designing products........... A Design Certified Production Accountant.

3 hours ago, jdsdls05 said:

Is it just sitting or even on plane?  Start with basics what side our the battery's on, water tank, storage under the seats.  PS Beautiful boat how does it ride?

I ended up putting 150 lbs. of sand on the starboard side just behind the captains chair and that significantly improved the list, both on plane and sitting. With that fix, she is a beautiful boat and ride! Just wish Chaparral had figured that out before we took ownership.

3 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

most people with the older hull 256, 264 complain about the same issue.  I think it depends on what equipment is on what side of the boat.  Head, water tank, holding tank, batteries, etc.

Chaparral's quick fix was to move the batteries to the starboard side. The only problem is there's no access on the starboard side. Looks like we'll be adding some permanent weight and glassing it in place to balance the hull.

2 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Are all the Chap boats designed the cheapest way possible ?   This is not the first series of Chaps to be built with a tilt in them over the decades.  Even I can set all the equipment in a 16' Aluminum fish boat to be balanced. empty or me sitting in it at the dock.  Are ALL The water and sewage  tanks supposed to be full ?

Chap must be using too much A I . And NO prototypes for testing.    Forgot all about the newest caller of designing products........... A Design Certified Production Accountant.

This is our second Chaparral. Our first one was so well built and appointed, we didn't hesitate to buy another. We're sure they'll figure it out. Just disappointed it wasn't figured out before we got ours. 

if your batteries are on the port along with the toilet and the tanks, I can see why it lists.  All the weight is on 1 side

In fairness .   I have owned1 brand new 2002 186 and sold it.  Heart work done.  Went out & bought a 2nd 2002 186 ssi with 5.0 L engines. Both boats are very good.

just curious do yo have trim tabs because if not I would add them,  made a huge difference in my 256 ride.   As for my boat batteries our on starboard side and fresh and holding tank on port, but I dont use them so they are empty an mine has a slight list to starboard because of this.

City water in both tanks is O K. Just remember to drain both each winter.  Simple cure for listing.

13 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

Listing to port or just listing in general??

I know on my 256, the water tank, holding tank, porcelin toilet, maple cabinet and solid surface sink are all on the port side.  On the starboard is the cockpit solid surface sink and the batteries.  I never really noticed a list on my boat but I know others have commented that theirs has a list.  Mine may, I just never really looked for it

2 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

I know on my 256, the water tank, holding tank, porcelin toilet, maple cabinet and solid surface sink are all on the port side.  On the starboard is the cockpit solid surface sink and the batteries.  I never really noticed a list on my boat but I know others have commented that theirs has a list.  Mine may, I just never really looked for it

They're supposed to take her out today to figure out how much weight and where to place it. It would be awesome if that weight could be in the form of something funtional like a sink, countertop and trash can.......

21 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

if your batteries are on the port along with the toilet and the tanks, I can see why it lists.  All the weight is on 1 side

If that's the case, you would think a boat designer would figure that out. It shouldn't be some hard! Thanks

40 minutes ago, Coluzz said:

They're supposed to take her out today to figure out how much weight and where to place it. It would be awesome if that weight could be in the form of something funtional like a sink, countertop and trash can.......

If that's the case, you would think a boat designer would figure that out. It shouldn't be some hard! Thanks

LOL, you would think!  Is it possible that the dealer installs the batteries?  And just put them in the easiest spot??

We ordered this boat based on an identical 2020 version that they had in for service and the batteries were on the port side of that boat. I think it's a simple miscalculation of weight distribution, possibly exasperated by the addition of the windlass we had installed on ours. Wish us luck today! Thanks

2 hours ago, Coluzz said:

It's all good to balance it out until you decide to fill the water tank or add something that simply makes it list the other way. I wouldn't be too uptight about it.

3 hours ago, Coluzz said:

Understood. We at least want to start out balanced. Thanks

Yep I get it. I would just be a little leery having 150lbs of lead (basically a full person) getting hauled around for every future ride. 

41 minutes ago, Dgiles said:

Yep I get it. I would just be a little leery having 150lbs of lead (basically a full person) getting hauled around for every future ride. 

Understood. But the way I like to look at it is a 4700 lb. boat with a list or a 4850 lb. boat that rides smooth. I pick smooth.

I would Never add ballast to my boat to level a list. Thats what Trim tabs are for. One can always move gear around to ballance a little list.

Just have Cyclops to move over........:D

Agreed for when you've got a group of passengers and/or gear but you've got to be able to be level when the boat's just sitting in the water or underway with two people. Adding the sand bags made for a much more pleasant ride and in the scheme of things, the extra the 150lbs added to 4,700 lbs isn't a big deal. 

Some of us paid with PERFECT MONEY.   WE logically expect a perfectly level boat.

See many  listing cars.  New ones  ?