SST

The condition of the Great Lakes-Algae specifically

About 3 weeks ago, I took my boat out of the water to do some minor repairs and clean up the slime and polish the gelcoat. As I walked to my slip, I see some unusual [to me] algae growing. Never saw this kind before. A few days later, I put the boat back in. Due to crappy weather, the boat sat for a week without movement. When I came back to check on it, I stood in horror of what I was looking at. My outdrive and prop looked like a hairy beast had over taken it. I had expected a small slime layer but not 1 inch of hairy algae. Plus, the algae that was attached to the hull I've never seen before either. It  looked like some kind of netting around the water line. So strange. [sorry, no specific pics].

The bottom treatment that is still on the boat says," Just keep the boat moving and it will come off.}  So, with Lake Erie being smooth that day, I cruised for an hour and half at 30mph. I returned to the slip, and all algae was removed.  Not even slime. Boat maintained its 30mph at all times. No loss. I'm scratch'in my head over this. 

My swim platform needed some repair work [oil and gear oil change too] and with this current stretch of warm dry weather, I again pulled the boat. So clean its unbelievable.  The lake is not behaving like it usually does.  These pictures below are what I've seen growing in our marina.  Is this what they call Blooming Algea? Something else?  When it reaches the surface its full of bubbles mixed into the green. 

This picture taken about 2-1/2 weeks ago. Hasn't touched the surface yet. Even the normal algae outside of this blob is covered with "hair" just like my boat and everybody else's.

IMG-2203-1.jpg

This is about 1 week ago. This patch of algae was near my boat. Fortunately, my exhaust is very strong and pushed it away. I couldn't see beneath it. 

IMG-2221-1.jpg

This picture was taken the same day as pic 2. Same splotch as the first picture. It has reached the surface.

IMG-2226-1.jpg

Saw this article in the Buffalo News. It maybe behind a pay wall.

https://buffalonews.com/news/why-environmental-stressors-hit-lakes-erie-ontario-hardest/article_ff1e6d4a-fd09-11ea-819f-1be281e0a69e.html

Thanks to all the waters of the world now being transported all year long by all the cargo freighters ? The Giant Jelly  Fish of Japan are coming .  About 6' diameter.

Peanut Butter and Jellyfish  sandwich.

This is what happens in warm conditions when there is an abundance of nutrients (nitrogen and phosphorus) from urban, agricultural, and industrial run-off.

13 minutes ago, drewm3i said:

This is what happens in warm conditions when there is an abundance of nutrients (nitrogen and phosphorus) from urban, agricultural, and industrial run-off.

That is right and the salt water will turn it into a red tie that FL have.

1 hour ago, drewm3i said:

Just another thing that we are adding to our children's future, never had this kind of stuff back in my childhood.:(  Denny.

1 hour ago, ramoszx12r@comcast.net said:

Yes the future is not looking to good.

I tell people that I am living the American Dream,  ( the old one) because the new one sucks.  Denny.