Randall Harbert

Critter control during winter storage?

I heard a horror story about raccoons shredding seat cushions and destroying the inside of a boat during the winter shrink wrap season. Mice and red squirrels chewing up wiring. Besides fabric softener sheets and mothballs is there any other good solutions?  

KILL the pests. Or trap them. Then KILL the pests.   They are TRESSPASSERS !    

Stupid people HAVAHART traps.   Then release them on someone else.  Green people love all the excessive animals they feed.  I hope their boats get attacked !!

I have loaded my cockpit with dryer sheets every year.  I also use "damp-rid" cups and they have a pleasant scent too.  I store my boat in a barn that has mice and, knock on wood, for 10 yrs I haven't had any issue.  We also put some mouse traps around the barn

In addition to mothballs and dryer sheets, I`ve heard of peppermint oil being used if you can find it.

people say deodorant soap like Irish Spring keeps the mice away.  Last year I took a couple bars and cut them into small chunks and also put them into my storage compartments.  It all keeps the boat smelling nice:D

I always used moth balls never ever had a problen....16 years.

Even in the summer when not in use.

I am sitting in a bar & I see in the big bar mirror a nice woman coming to sit next to me . I turn & we both smile . She sits down Still smiling . As I turn to talk . She starts sniffing.  Says to me.  " You smell like a urinal. " Then leaves. First & last time I used Irish Spring.

It does repel all kinds of critters.

10 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

I am sitting in a bar & I see in the big bar mirror a nice woman coming to sit next to me . I turn & we both smile . She sits down Still smiling . As I turn to talk . She starts sniffing.  Says to me.  " You smell like a urinal. " Then leaves. First & last time I used Irish Spring.

Irish sping, never used it. kinda makes me wounder why I waited so long to get merried. I guess I smelled good.....:beer-7687-1:

10 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Or you could be ugly and stink.....