Muthu

How Should You Pass A Fishing Boat?

How Should You Pass A Fishing Boat?

July 24, 2020 by Bhavesh Bhati Leave a Comment

On the water, we have freedom to ride and take a detour. With freedom come certain responsibilities. We need to ensure that we are safe and others are safe too. While taking a joyride, always remember that certain boats are on water for different reasons. Some could be good carriers, some could be fishing vessels or some could be boaters like you. Tootling along the water, you need to keep safe distance from these boats and ships. In this article, we will particularly talk about a fishing boat. 

How Should You Pass A Fishing Boat? To read more head over to tripztour.com

Problems arise when the fishing boats drift & fish in a marked channel where the water is dredged deeper and the fish are. Big Boaters complained but the CG does nothing about it. The bigger boats would blow by them on plane to try to get them to stop fishing in the channels. The CG clearly states that a large boat is responsible for thier wake on a fishing boat whether it is in a channel or not. There has been a lot of debate on Lake St. Clair about this and accidents keep happening. My opinion, is you should never, ever put your wake on another boat especially while they are drifting. 

i have observed this as well.  What is also annoying are the boaters who tie up around a buoy.  Very problematic at night when you're trying to find it whether it's a can or a flasher. 

I give as much room as practical and prudent to any other boat.  If someone is fishing or pulling a skier I give them extra space. 
brick

The rules of the road are guide lines, think of the worst possible situation that might happen and be ready for it. Common sense, not everyone out on the water has it, so give way and be safe.  Denny.

19 hours ago, Randall Harbert said:

Problems arise when the fishing boats drift & fish in a marked channel where the water is dredged deeper and the fish are. Big Boaters complained but the CG does nothing about it. The bigger boats would blow by them on plane to try to get them to stop fishing in the channels. The CG clearly states that a large boat is responsible for thier wake on a fishing boat whether it is in a channel or not. There has been a lot of debate on Lake St. Clair about this and accidents keep happening. My opinion, is you should never, ever put your wake on another boat especially while they are drifting. 

The channel going across Lake St. Clair is a 22 mile shipping channel, why would any one in their right mind anchor in it.

The problem with alot of fishermen is, the boat is no more then a tool to get to the fish.  Denny.

My biggest concern is the standing up paddle boarders with the sun right be hind them morning & some sun downs. I now do a zig zag like WWII fighter pilots to catch sight of them. The worst are small people & children. I have adapted to position of the sun  angle to prevent the constant concern for their safety. We have a lot of boats up to freighters and 10 to about 20 boats in a busy section. Some of them wear clothes that help them blend in with the surroundings.  

When I am passing a boat especially with others in the water I give as much space as possible and pass at an appropriate speed.  With people that are fishing I tend to slow down a little bit and go wide as well so as to not make as much a wake as possible.  No one likes "That Guy".

Fishing boats aren't the only "problem." Sailboats are somewhat of a problem too especially at night. I am finding that many sailboats have absolutely lousy nav lighting. The planet Jupiter that is currently in the night sky is 5 times brighter than on some of these sailboats. Just last night, I'm in our inner harbor just putting along looking straight ahead at the battle cruiser.....suddenly a sailboat comes into view. Even though I was "looking straight at him" I never saw him until we were both fairly close. His nav lights were so dim.

Another quirky "problem" is that sometimes its hard to tell which direction they are actually sailing. One night and well into dusk, I see a sailboat in very dim lighting. As I'm moving along, I'm trying to figure out which direction he's going. I see no nav lights and with the position of the sails I make the decision he's moving in the same direction as I am. So I point my boat to pass behind him. As I cross directly "behind" him, suddenly his extremely dim nav lights come into view! Holy crap I just crossed his bow! Fortunately for both of us I gave enough room between our boats.  

Gotta pay attention!

Weak battery &  low wattage bulbs ?   Add in sitting in the sun reduces the plastic lenses  brightness.

A massive collision takes care of all those problems. 

I used red & green glass lenses on my cruisers. They seem to last forever.

I randomly take rubbing compound and clean the plastic lens inside and out which makes it nice and shiny.

Some time ago, I was going to modify my bow nav light. I was going to leave the single bulb unit as it is and add one green and one red behind it [like a triangle] such that they stay within the area of required view and not cross into the others. BTW, I measured:

See the source image

I discussed this with an CG AUX guy at a boat show. He said NO! He'd ticket me and confiscate my boat!  I was furious! Where's the CG with all these boats operating with XMAS lights on their boats or the sailboats that have barely any lighting at all? I was pissed.

The interesting thing is long ago when I first started in the airlines, the planes that I worked around the most were the 727's, 737's and the DC-9's. They all had single bulb wingtip nav lights.  One night while working the ramp, UPS brings in the first 757. Immediately I see his wing tip nav lights are amazingly bright. Even way out on final. Eventually I got over to cargo and did a walk-around. I noticed that Boeing put two bulbs in each wing tip. 

Thankfully, UPS and Boeing aren't governed by the CG as there planes would be ticketed and confiscated. 

The operating distances are very different between planes.

But they still CRUNCH each other somehow.

I blew between two boats this past weekend.  I was driving a straight line in the middle of the lake.  A cruiser to starboard and a smaller boat fishing to port.  Guy on the swim platform of the cruiser watching us with his hands on his hips.  Each boat was about 100 yards off and I was on plane.  Too close or did I have enough spacing?

I give all boats as much room as possible when passing.  Whether they are skiers in the water prepping to get pulled up on plane, fishing boats trolling, bass fisherman along the shoreline, kayakers and paddle boarders as well.  I will keep the boat on plane since it makes less of a wake than me pushing water at 15 mph.  

I think it's just common courtesy to just not rock the boats of others when possible.  It impossible to leave no wake, but courtesy is always appreciate by all boaters.  

Cruiser   SOME cruiser people think they own the world.  Screw them as the throw their wakes at docked boats.

Pin head playing in the center of a lake.  Has people in the water ?   Go to a NONE middle of the lake place for in water playing.

We have the "Channel Dwellers" issue on the Missouri all the time x 3.

1.  Fishers in middle of narrow channel particularly on the crossover.  Sorry I blew past you low slung camo'd Jon boat.

2.  Pleasure boaters who drift the channel.  

3. @&#&$-_+$(($+#:#:# Jet Skiers.  I need a jet ski sticker with a slash through it like WW2 fighters.  I'd like to qualify for Ace.

The rules are the rules and I'll follow them but thankfully Darwin is a heck of a corollary.