Daver59

Volvo Penta EEM electronic ignition module

My fiirst post here, so bear with me if I have screw ups somehow.

I have a 1996 Signature 25 with a Penta Duprop DP-S 1.95 OUTDRIVE and 7.4gl engine (carburetor). It uses the electronic engine management (EEM) for ignition. This is obsolete so I have been pondering upgrading to something I can get parts for if needed.  Does anyone have experience doing this?

Also does this version of outdrive use the ignition cutoff for shifting? I suspect I will need to know this to connect a new ignition system.

Thanks in advance

Pertronix makes a replacement for the Prestolite ignition modules.

https://marinepartssource.com/prestolite-electronic-ignition-module-pertronix-1589It

You could also get a Delco marine distributor to replace yours, but it would definitely be more expensive.

You should not have to worry about an ignition shift cutoff with your setup, but you may need to move the distributor or change the position of your spark plug wires on the cap and re-adjust the timing with the new ignition module.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know if these outdrives need an ignition cutout. It's good to know that I won't need to worry about it.

Doing some research today i found that David Unified Ignition makes a complete HEI type marine distributor (Summit Racing). Any experience with these?

You are probably talking about this

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dui-m12720bk/make/chevrolet

I don't have any experience with them, but I bet they come with instructions.  As long as you have some room for the additional height and your coil wiring is long enough, I don't see why you would have a problem using it, but it looks like you will need new ignition wires that work with that distributer.