patrickg

Stereo upgrade to the clarion

I just ordered a 2021 21ssi.   Should I go with the upgraded stereo system (clarion with the transom remote). I didn’t order it and now having second thoughts.  Is it that much better or should I just put in an aftermarket system with speakers amps and subs.   I didn’t have an opportunity to hear the stereo.    Your feedback is appreciated.   Thank you in advance. 

Manufacturers typically over charge for audio systems. I say get the base unit and upgrade it yourself. 

5 minutes ago, dan02gt said:

Manufacturers typically over charge for audio systems. I say get the base unit and upgrade it yourself. 

Thanks dan.  I appreciate your feedback.   The upgrade is 450$ and they really don’t explain what the upgrade is other than a transom remote.   They don’t specify better speakers or amp or subwoofer. 

Probably just the remote. Maybe 4 speakers instead of 2. 
I swapped the factory speakers in mine for the latest generation Kicker marine speakers and also added their 10” sub. I powered it all with a Pioneer 5 channel amp,  and just for fun I added a MiniDSP for tuning. I think I have around $800 in everything. 

You want the Clarion upgrade.  The remote is very handy and the head unit on the base model is very basic.  If you plan to upgrade the system yourself that’s different. 

On 10/2/2020 at 9:21 AM, Clemson Chap said:

You want the Clarion upgrade.  The remote is very handy and the head unit on the base model is very basic.  If you plan to upgrade the system yourself that’s different. 

It's nice to have the transom remote because of the aft facing jump seats on our boat. Usually, we're controlling the Clarion system via Bluetooth on smartphones. If you check out the factory Clarian system, you'll notice that it has outputs and/or wires to add a subwoofer and/or an amplifier.