So first of all I'm a newbie. My wife and I bought a 60hp pontoon boat last year and I thought I had this boating thing aced. Launching no problem, docking nothing to it, retrieving/trailering easy breezy. THEN towards the end of this summer we sold the pontoon boat and bought a 22' Chaparral Sunesta 5.0 GXi. HUGE difference! I love the boat but I have SOOOO much to learn, I went from ace to disgrace lol. Launching is no problem but docking is tricky and last time we took her out I scuffed her up trailering her on my guide post. What is a good way to remove the scuff I tried buffing it but maybe I don't have the right pad or compound? I'm pretty sure it's because we are going to deep with the trailer and I'm having a hard time even lining her up. All and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

If possible you can try this method I prefer to use. I like to approach the dock with the wind direction in mind. I like to use it to help me look good. It can be your friend. My wife helps out and we tie off to the dock. Next I back the trailer in. I like to stop when the trailer fenders just go under water. Now the boat is simply pulled by hand using dock lines onto the trailer. The last foot or so I usually use the winch to pull her up to the bow stop. Lastly, when the boat and trailer get out of the lake I pause on the ramp and pull the transom drain plug to allow the bilge to drain. The transom straps and trailer lights check out take place on the flat before we get to the street.

2 hours ago, SterndriveEd12 said:

If possible you can try this method I prefer to use. I like to approach the dock with the wind direction in mind. I like to use it to help me look good. It can be your friend. My wife helps out and we tie off to the dock. Next I back the trailer in. I like to stop when the trailer fenders just go under water. Now the boat is simply pulled by hand using dock lines onto the trailer. The last foot or so I usually use the winch to pull her up to the bow stop. Lastly, when the boat and trailer get out of the lake I pause on the ramp and pull the transom drain plug to allow the bilge to drain. The transom straps and trailer lights check out take place on the flat before we get to the street.

Okay so Google says it is too abrasive and do not use on gel coat any advice on removing the scuff on my boat?

Try polishing it with this and a wool pad:

Meguiars Heavy Oxidation Remover

You might also try what to try something like black streak remover or hull cleaner.

Like Ed said you might have your trailer to deep.  What kind of guide post do you have that it scuffed your gel?

Some tips for docking:

1. Never approach faster than you want to hit the dock

2. Approach at a 45* angle to the dock

3. When you are about 50' from the dock cut the wheel towards the dock and pop it in reverse.  This should pull the stern around so the boat sets parallel to the dock.

I can do this perfect about 60% of the time and the rest of the time not so much so.  The type of prop can also help if you have a single prop drive.  My 4 blade has great thrust and steering in reverse.  My 3 blade not so much so.

17 minutes ago, dan02gt said:

3. When you are about 50' from the dock cut the wheel towards the dock and pop it in reverse.  This should pull the stern around so the boat sets parallel to the dock.

Pretty much how I approach docking as well with the exception that I wait until I am much closer the dock before pulling the stern around :)

As mentioned. Don't go to deep with the trailer. The bunks should center the keel as you slowly motor up the trailer. Practice makes perfect. At my lake wind can be a biotch so I've learned just how deep to get the trailer. Sometimes i have to approach at about 45* and cut into the trailer at just the last second and allow the bunks to center before applying any throttle. Almost like slipping a plane to lose altitude when landing. 

Apoontoon is a joy to trailer.    A V hull Chap is terribly hard on some trailers in wind or current.

I have 4 rotating vertical rollers to make it a pleasure in bad conditions.

Remove oxidation with rubbing compounds
1.Use the least abrasive oxidation remover possible, so you do not grind away more of the gel coat than is necessary.
2.Fit an orbital buffer with a terry cloth bonnet, and pour on the oxidation remover.
3.Hold the buffer against the hull side, using even pressure, and hit the power button.
4.Sweep the buffer back and forth across the hull a few times. Never hold the buffer still while running.

3M or McGuire’s oxidation remover & wax is perfect for removing scuffs.  Finish up with a good coat of wax when done.  

As for docking, I once read that docking is best described as a “controlled collision” so don’t be too concerned about not being perfect.  I used to have a 26’, single engine Doral Citation with an Alpha drive and could dock it like nobody’s business in what was a nicely protected bay.  Moved up to my 29’ Chaparral Signature with twin Bravo III drives and it took me 2 full summers before I finally learned how it responds to the wind and waves around our new slip.  I also figured out that the “pivot point” of both hulls was completely different.

Be patient, slow down waaay before your dock so you don’t have to fight your own wake pushing you around (that’s one thing I learned), read the waves as you approach and if you can put a little pennant flag on the bow, you’ll be able to read the wind direction as well.
Otherwise, if there are other boats docked nearby, you can check their flags for wind direction.
Good luck with the learning curve!

Thank you jane305. It bothered me so bad having to look at it everyday I went ahead and ordered some boat erasers it worked but it was a pain in the a$$ because from where I already tried to buff it out and I also polished it with wax so the boat erasers had to first remove all the wax buildup before I could get to the PVC scuff marks and with a whole lot of elbow grease I finally got it out :)